Spyder Garage

Default Electrical Connections Between A 2008 RS and a 2010 BRP Trailer.

What follows is a written and photo description of how to make the electrical connections between a 2008 RS Spyder and a 2010 BRP trailer. If anyone, following these instructions, has questions, please write me at the email address below.

I recently purchased a used 2010 BRP trailer. I have a friend who is an expert in wiring, soldering, electronics construction and solving big problems in small spaces. He agreed to wire-up my Spyder and the trailer.

After reviewing the wiring diagram in the BRP Trailer Service Manual and the suggestions I found here, he decided to use a Hopkins Vehicle Converter Kit #46255. This kit isolates the Spyder's electrical system from problems caused by the hook-up.

The kit is a small circuit box with a four wire connector and positive and negative wires to connect to the Spyder's battery. The color scheme is:

Red wire (large) ----- Battery
    White wire ----- Ground
    Brown wire ----- Park/Tail
    Yellow wire ----- Left turn
    Red wire (small) ----- Brake
    Green wire ----- Right turn

These can be seen in this photo. We located the Isolator unit under the battery strap for stability and proximity to terminals.

The first step after securing the unit, was to connect it to the positive and negative terminals. We also crimped the fuse box to the positive lead; you can see the yellow crimp. I've marked the fuse box at the top but, being black, it is a bit hard to see.

Small_Basic.jpg

In Step Two, I will illustrate how to connect the various colored Isolator wires to the Spyder connections.

Spyder Garage

Ken, I would have never thought of securing the converter with the battery strap. Very efficient! One question, you say the converter has a 4-wire connector but your legend and the picture clearly show a 5-wire circuit (separate turn signals/brakelights. That matches the 2010 RT-622 (actually 6-wire). Did they use a 4-wire connector and run the ground separately?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Nancy's Toy....

I must not have made it clear. I'm not satisfied with the annotations; the text is too small though it is fine when displayed on my Imac. One of the reasons why I haven't posted the second one is that I am working on getting clear text when the picture is degraded and shrunk.

The four wires of the Isolater are: brown, yellow, small red and green. They can be seen on the left between the large white ground and the large red that goes to the positive terminal of the battery. The four go to the two turn signal wires and the two brake light wires. All of this will be clear when I post the next picture, I hope.

Thanks for asking.

ken tompkins

Spyder Garage

The four wires that come from the Isolater should be routed back to the connectors for the brake lights and turn signals. In my photo, these wires can be seen in the upper left corner. The kit comes with splicers -- they are the blue plastic squares in the picture. They are simple to install and seem to work perfectly. They come with plenty of silicon grease so they are functionally sealed when attached.

You can see how they attach if you follow the red wire. it is spliced to the right brake connector. The brown wire is spliced to the left brake connector. You can also see that the green wire goes to the right turn signal connector while the yellow wire goes to the left. Once these spliced connections are made, the installation is complete except for dressing up the wires with wire ties and threading the supplied four wire connector back to the trailer hitch to be connected to the trailer.

I will show that connection as soon as I finish my own installation.

ken tompkins

small connector white text.jpg
    Last edited by kentompkins; 01-13-2012 at 06:19 PM.