Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    zrc

I think we are missing some details that might help fill in some gaps here.

I bought an '09 in october with 8700 miles on it, and I paid almost 15k, however, it came with many additional options / aftermarket items I wanted.

(Corbin Fleetliners, Touring Windshield, Handlebar Risers, Additional lights, Highway Pegs (Kuriyakyn), Corbin Seat with 1 backrest) Those items added up very quickly to be more than the KBB value (again my opinion). Given then was it also received the 9k servicing before it came to live with me.

I am sure some people might disagree that this was a good or bad buy, but for me, having already had a lot of the optional after market items I wanted, I felt like the price was exceptionally good and I was pleased with my end result.

When the time comes to buy, you can "demand" or hope for KBB value or something near it, however, these are not like Toyota Camry's they are not just laying around being bought, sold, and traded every day. Given that, I think they command a mildly different market. Also given that, I dont think that Arntufun isn't WAY off base in his thinking, he is just an early commenter in the lifecycle of the product. Its similiar to buying toys now and not opening them in the hopes they increase in value, assuming BRP continues to improve, the market grows, and people embrace the spyder as an option to being on a motorcycle the situation COULD exist that his and other PE's would become more valuable, even if they are not now.
    Last edited by zrc; 01-12-2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Agreeing with Arntufun, not smacking him down.

Spyder Garage

Default Acessories make a difference in price, but a good deal is one that makes you happy

Accessories are a huge factor in buying or selling a bike, but I have generally found that the seller values the accessories more than the buyer. I have always heard that accessories added are worth 50% or less than what they cost even if in new or like new condition.

Just remember that a good deal is when both people are happy. Buying and selling vehicles is normally a win-lose situation, but we always have a choice to buy or not buy.

Kelley Blue Book is a good place to start since you can get an idea of general value whether dealer trading or outright purchase from an individual. From there, it is always a good idea to get the help and assistance from someone who is impartial and knows the market and vehicle. Ask around for friends that 'do not have a dog in the hunt' and you will at least be informed better. From there, many purchases are emotional, not rational!

Spyder Garage

All of the above is pretty good information. Bottom line: it comes down to what you are happy with in the end.

Price of vehicle: will be all over the place depending where, when, and what it has on it. I know of a brand new 2009 Yellow SE5 that the dealer still had for sale last fall. Asking $13,700. I was going to see if its still around this spring in case I decide to get akspyderlady her own. I don't plan on paying the asking price either.

I do realize that the dealer has to make some money to cover overhead and stay in business. I am fortunate in that the dealer is also great when it comes to service.

Accessories: someone said 50% value--around here, its more like 0% value for add ons. In any case--they don't count for much.

Wishing you a good hunt. Let us know what you end up with.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

One more time - it depends on where you are. One of our local dealers has a demo 2009 - bone stock - SM 5 (Red) for $14,999, with 1,800 miles on the clock. (http://www.procaliberlongview.com/sh...229630&Used=1&).

We had one on CL last fall for $7K, with 11K on the clock...

I paid $12.5K for a brand new 2009 in 2009, added the full BEST and a ton of farkles (Corbin seat, bags, etc), put 4K on it, and sold it for $14K when I bought my 2010 RT.

Bottom line is that it's worth what you pay for it - not what the "market' says. If you think it's too expensive, it is. If not, buy it.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Post Just buy it!

An old car guy once told me "a used car is worth what someone will pay for it today".
    Same goes for Spyders, or anything else.
    No matter how much you pay, SOMEONE will tell you it was too much.
    Hey, it costs $$$ to have fun so just negotiate your best price and go for a ride.
    Live Today, Baby!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cstall View Post
    An old car guy once told me "a used car is worth what someone will pay for it today".
    Same goes for Spyders, or anything else.
    No matter how much you pay, SOMEONE will tell you it was too much.
    Hey, it costs $$$ to have fun so just negotiate your best price and go for a ride.
    Live Today, Baby!
    Buy it, and forgetabouthit, Life is too short, Enjoy yourself.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Amen...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Fun was cheaper when I was younger

Funny how things are almost always more than we want to pay! Fun and speed are not necessarily inexpensive but you only go around once.

I have found that it is more fun to say-- I am glad I did--
    instead of --
    I wish I had

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    to the forum. I want to say congrats to your first post making more sense than some of these guys that have been here for years. I can tell already your a smart cookie !!!
    Thanks. Now the fun begins with mods.