Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Is this too much for a 2008 Spyder?

A dealer has a 2008 SM Spyder, 8000 mi. They wanted $12,500 and we got them down to $11,200. Do you think this is a fair price or over-priced for a 4 yr. old Spyder? P.S. We already own 2 Spyders (priceless), but have a need for another.

Spyder Garage

I think that's in the right ballpark due to the mileage, but for an '08 I'd rather see the first two numbers begin with "10". However, if there are upgrades (passenger backrest/sportrack, wheels, etc) then I'd probably jump on it. That's about what I paid for an '09 with 7,000 miles on it back in April 2011--but mine was bone stock.

--ABQ
    spydern.jpg

2009 RS SM5. Passenger Backrest,
    Sport Rack, GloRyders, TricLED Dayrunners,
    LED Halo Kit, and LED fender tips.

Spyder Garage

http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycle...Am/Motorcycles lists the retail value at $10,160 to $13,155.

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail/2008/can_am/ lists the retail value at $10,015 in excellent condition.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Too much... Go to Kelley BB. Look at trade-in and retail values.... Even at excellent with half the miles, you should be able to do much better with a dealer.... Even with add-ons.

But then again, price is relative to desire and how long the dealer is willing to hold on to it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    A dealer has a 2008 SM Spyder, 8000 mi. They wanted $12,500 and we got them down to $11,200. Do you think this is a fair price or over-priced for a 4 yr. old Spyder? P.S. We already own 2 Spyders (priceless), but have a need for another.
    I guess it depends on the accessories. A lot of extras, sure. Stock, no.

I paid $12K with 2000 miles 3 years ago.

Very Happy '08 Spyder RS Owner

arntufun

IF it says PE edition on the handlebars, buy it !!!!

These are the first ever Spyders and are worth way more than the rest. If it says PE and gives you a number....... buy it, because they are worth alot. They only produced under 3,800 of the first ever Spyders.

I own # 3494 and I won't take less than 18K for it. Alot of people will say different but they are followers of our 2008 year, nothing more.
    Last edited by arntufun; 01-11-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    IF it says PE edition on the handlebars these other people have no clue what they are talking about.

These are the first ever Spyders and are worth way more than the rest. If it says PE and gives you a number....... buy it, because they are worth alot.
    A lot of what? Only Jay Leno's #1 is worth any premium, IMO. Sounds like you are trying to fluff up the market. I guess you're anticipating getting more when you trade yours in on Holly's new RT.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 01-12-2012 at 09:29 AM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default arntufun

you are a shameless self promoter
    it was fun while it lasted.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    A lot of what? Only Jay Leno's #1 is worth any premium, IMO. Sounds like you are trying to fluff up the market. I guess your anticipating getting more when you trade yours in on Holly's new RT.

Scotty, you replied to my post before I was done editing it !!!

Spyder Garage

WHAT! PE means what? Nothing! Don't pay more just because it is a PE! Just my opinion as these are not collectable items!
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    I would maybe go $9,500.00 to 10,000 with a 6 month warranty. It's FIVE model years old and why only 8,000 miles. The dealers are hurting. That's IMHO.

Mike

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by spyder-dude View Post
    WHAT! PE means what? Nothing! Don't pay more just because it is a PE! Just my opinion as these are not collectable items!

Shawn I have to use you as an example now.

killerbee,

The person that wrote this owns a 2011 Spyder. Just remember what I said about the PE's. We are the first and the rest can only follow. BTW, I wonder what a first year HD, Shelby Cobra or Camaro is worth these days ??? That is a question you already know the answer to I bet. Good luck.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I thought pe's stood for Problem Edition

Spyder Garage

Scotty, you replied to my post before I was done editing it !!!
    Still waiting for the editing piece... What else where you going to mention, or do you think you mentioned enough?? I'm thinking so..

X Joe

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

IF it says PE edition on the handlebars, buy it !!!!

These are the first ever Spyders and are worth way more than the rest. If it says PE and gives you a number....... buy it, because they are worth alot. They only produced under 3,800 of the first ever Spyders.

I own # 3494 and I won't take less than 18K for it. Alot of people will say different but they are followers of our 2008 year, nothing more.
    I think the PE edition are worth at least a little more too.. I just bought # 744 with 596 miles on it completely stock but paid right around what you are looking to pay for that one..

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PE

Randy, there were only approx. 2700 original Shelby Cobra's made and they all don't exist any longer. I have one, but it's fake but I built it so I don't really care. Now my Daytona ???????....Mike....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I paid 13,500 new for a 09 left over last march

Spyder Garage

Default Pricing

I paid $12,900 for my 09 phantom with 4k on it. That came with kyrykan grips, foot pegs, lighting system, hindle exhaust.

Spyder Garage

Any takers for my 2010 RTS PE #474--I will let it go for $35,000--only 21,000 easy miles.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

PE isn't worth any more unless it was stored and not ridden. I wouldn't pay anything over $9,000 for it.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I paid $12 for mine in 09 with 5k miles, stock. Assuming this one is stock, get some aftermarket items thrown in the deal, comfort seat, back rest, windshield, etc. Spyders are cheap compared to the desired mods.
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    A lot of what? Only Jay Leno's #1 is worth any premium, IMO. Sounds like you are trying to fluff up the market. I guess your anticipating getting more when you trade yours in on Holly's new RT.
    Digging those spurs in a bit Scotty??

Back to the 08...
    Hand to hand combat with a dealer can be compared to a game of Liar's Poker... It's what you make them think you might do that's important... Have fun in the trenches with them, but hold your ground at what YOU think might be an appropriate pricing level. Remember though... The guys is in business to make money and is certianly entitled to a fair return on HIS investment too!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hey Guys don't beat up the dealer to much on price otherwise he will get it all back on your service costs!!! He's got bills to pay also. The few dollars difference between most deals is insignificant compared to the desire to "Win" in most auto deals. I have seen folks walk away from a really great vehicle that was at a pretty good price over a $50 difference. Buy the '08 if you really like it, want to get out on the road and have fun. If you want to do financial battles invest in Comercial Real Estate!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Too Much

Personally I think that is too much. I picked up an 08 with only 740 miles, plus extras for 11,500. Be advised though, it was from a private seller, not a dealership. I would negotiate some more, or look for a better deal.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by duglas View Post
    I think the PE edition are worth at least a little more too.. I just bought # 744 with 596 miles on it completely stock but paid right around what you are looking to pay for that one..

to the forum. I want to say congrats to your first post making more sense than some of these guys that have been here for years. I can tell already your a smart cookie !!!
    Last edited by arntufun; 01-12-2012 at 09:33 AM.