Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default DynojetPowerComanderV on RS

Hi Comrades,

Need every input, opinion, excuse, experience and expertise you have on this one.

Working on my Spy and major part of project ( not most time consuming though ) is little performance play.
    1,- building my own air intake, it'll be as free flow and as cold as possible
    2,- getting a free flow exhaust, possibly ATC Shotgun or maybe Tailgunner

...Now, since both ends are going to be freed up, Beast will need more juice so some Fuel unit needs to join orchestra . After little bit of homework I like Dynojet Power Commander - V, most.
    Common Lads , dime in and speak up, - "More Heads = More Mess"
    Cheerio

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'll go with PC-V + screen+ O2 sensor.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    I'll go with PC-V + screen+ O2 sensor.
    Hi Doc,
    I thought that PC-V comes with O2s, what do you mean by "screen"? - mapping ?

Spyder Garage
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Well heres my experience with the Pcv. I put a green filter and a MBRP exaust on my 2011 Rss. So of corse then I had to get a PCv. Problem is there is no map to down load for this and no one can seem to put this spyder on a dyno. A local speed shop said he could do it by using the sniffer off the dyno. Long story short is after several trips back to the shop the bike runs ok but I think it could run much better. So now I just bought the auto tuner and am taking it to the shop wed. Hopfully this will help clean up the rough spots. So if the exaust you buy does not have a map, I think you will have to have a auto tuner to go with it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hm

Quote Originally Posted by mclovin View Post
    Well heres my experience with the Pcv. I put a green filter and a MBRP exaust on my 2011 Rss. So of corse then I had to get a PCv. Problem is there is no map to down load for this and no one can seem to put this spyder on a dyno. A local speed shop said he could do it by using the sniffer off the dyno. Long story short is after several trips back to the shop the bike runs ok but I think it could run much better. So now I just bought the auto tuner and am taking it to the shop wed. Hopfully this will help clean up the rough spots. So if the exaust you buy does not have a map, I think you will have to have a auto tuner to go with it.
    Thank you,
    Well, interesting
    I put fair bit of homework into these things and PCV seems to suit my purpose the most, still not done yet with my studies but getting there.
    Keep them 2c coming guys
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

The PC-V offers high precision fuel control but at the price of complexity. You'll need to know your way around a Windows based PC, the included software, and you'll need a custom map. There probably won't be a custom map available anywhere for the homemade intake and ATC Shotgun or Tailgunner exhaust you say you plan to use so you'll have to come up with your own. This isn't easy. You can take your best guess and go the trial and error route (not recommended), or you can buy an external AFR gauge and experiment with the map settings after obtaining data while riding under load. After a good bit of work and a lot of readings you'll have enough data to take a shot at making your own effective map. If you can find a dyno in your area equipped to handle the Spyder (good luck), and equipped with Dynojet software they'll make a map for you. Or get the single or dual AutoTune option and let it (hopefully) do the work for you. All this can get expensive so you'll need deep pockets. The PC-V is for serious tuners only. Also available is an LCD touch screen display. It's big bucks but quite the toy.

The Juice Box Pro is another option but you'll have the same map issues as with the PC-V and there is no AutoTune option. You'll get room for 10 switchable onboard maps instead of two and some on the fly adjustment dials for +/- 10% fuel adjustment on top of what fuel changes are done in the map in any one of three RPM ranges.

The Juice Box is a third option, not as precise as the other two and not as tunable, but much easier to use. You can only add fuel to the OEM fuel curve. However you can adjust it easily without the need for maps or a PC. If you have no dyno access, no AFR gauge, and don't want to spend the $$$ for the PC-V with AutoTune, the Juice Box is not a bad alternative. Just don't expect miracles as it is somewhat limited.

Initial installation is easy for all three options unless you add AutoTune to the PC-V, then you'll need to install bungs on the exhaust for the the extra O2 sensor(s). Welding is required.

Hope this helps. Good luck with whatever option you choose.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cool

Thanks pro10,
    Very nice break down, although there is not even a Dealership in whole country, never mind a Dyno able to read a Spyder I would still consider PCV as a best way to go. Hopefully some other guys with PCV will chime in and share their maps or as a last alternative would be to look around for exhaust with maps for PCV provided. Really don't want to go that " try and error " route.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLorD View Post
    Thanks pro10,
    Very nice break down, although there is not even a Dealership in whole country, never mind a Dyno able to read a Spyder I would still consider PCV as a best way to go. Hopefully some other guys with PCV will chime in and share their maps or as a last alternative would be to look around for exhaust with maps for PCV provided. Really don't want to go that " try and error " route.
    I can give you my maps but they are for lower compression, different fuel management and turbo pistons...
    Shut up and Race!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    I can give you my maps but they are for lower compression, different fuel management and turbo pistons...
    Thanks Doc but I am not in position to spend $6k for turbo + who knows how many more 1000s for clutch ect......in order to be able to use your maps
    Isn't that just obvious that help offered is the one not good to use?
    There must be some one with Dynoed maps

Spyder Garage

There must be some one with Dynoed maps
    I think that SethO may have a set...he's going to PM you.
    Last edited by docdoru; 01-10-2012 at 11:21 AM.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

...Really don't want to go that " try and error " route.
    I hear you and you're absolutely right about that. There are just too many cases where someone invests in the PC-V without any means of obtaining a map that's right for their intake and/or exhaust. They either take a blind shot at making their own map or use someone else's map which may or may not be right for them. More often than not the results are not good because they've inadvertently made things worse. If you want the PC-V to work well you either need an AFR gauge (and a bit of skill and patience), a dyno, AutoTune, or a good map that very closely represents your intake and exhaust. You can get excellent results with a PC-V but only if you have the means and commitment to to tune it properly. Otherwise there are just too many ways to get it wrong.

Spyder Garage

Hi Doc,
    I thought that PC-V comes with O2s, what do you mean by "screen"? - mapping ?
    You do NOT need the screen, its cool and I am glad I bought it so I can tell you guys not to buy it. Its water resistant at best, I burned it out on the 4 great lake Michigan trip. PC replaced it for me but it took too long and did not have it for the salt flats, you can NOT use a bigger than a 1g SD card in it and PC said it was a firmware issue that they can't fix.

As for the PC 5 , its the BEST fuel management system if you just want the spyder to stop poping and smooth out. The issue of over tuning it or wrecking your spyder is a lie. the Check engine light on your spyder will turn on if it leans out too much or is too fat. I was scared I blew it up again until I realized that it would just stay on (and come on ) if I stayed in a throttle % area for too long (85-95mph) in warmer weather I had to fatten up the mix.

To adjust it you just need a laptop with the most current software and you can ONLY adjust the areas that are not grayed out, that way you can not damage your spyder ( which is a lie really so they a can have companies with dynos make money still) Any map they have on their site is a good start. You drive it a while and have a setting in their software that allows you to adjust the trims (you can also adjust how much the computer trims 1-20 %) and when you accept these trims the PC5 puts the values in for you.

Get the AUTO TUNE. you have to have someone or you if you are good with welder put a 2 bungs in each pipe ( I got it with the one which is what they said when they started making it)
    that is where the adjustment goes into the trims comes from.

There is really not a negative to this system if you want to just your spyder to run optimally, believe me, I have tried all they **** out there and I am VERY hard on my stuff people say and I will say F the screen get the PC 5 with the two bung auto, hook it up, drive it , get the lastest software from PC on your laptop, adjust the trims and you will have the best running spyder you can to date.

My se-5 also shifts better than it EVER has once I put this on, which I have a few theories on but nothing confirmed.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the complete PcV set with PcV, auto tune/Wideband2 and LCD. Had autotune first but my spyder was not happy with first gen. O2 modifier so dynojet replaced it with wb2 which had closed loop adjustability so o2 module wasn't needed. Spyder was dynoed at dynojet. You just need a floor mounted dyno.
    It worked well but if I was to do it again and actually have to pay for equipments and installation(my spyder was used for r&d at dynojet), I will just get a jb pro.

Cost is one factor, $1000+ for PcV set up and I feel that spyder can not truly be tuned properly due to not being able to tune each gear seperatly. Spyder does not send right band of signal for PcV to calibrate gears. I would rather have on the fly map switching and 3 band adjustability on my finger tip. (you can swap maps on the fly with pcv but only with LCD)
    It was cool to see what was actually happening at any given moment on LCD thou.

If you are going with PcV, I would say go all the way!!! Spyder runs good and you have fun with the gadgets.
    Last edited by aka1004; 01-10-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default SethO

Hey SethO,
    Just after reading their website again and realised that my set up will look like this:

PCV + SCREEN + AUTOTUNE
    ..so here I come to share it and see your post.
    Thank you very much, feedback from the field is best feedback.

Well the reason I play with my Spyder performance is because of it's lack of performance and no sign of BRP putting any decent engine into it any time soon. Their excuse is that majority of Spyder owners are more than happy with it's performance ( I'll be probably too when I am 150 years old). My answer to that is that Spyder's performance or underperformance chooses it's demographic which is unfortunate, that's why it doesn't attract young riders. I still hope that some of the big Rice players comes with Spyder alike real bike soon so we can have a real 3 wheeled enjoyment.
    My Spyder runs fine, just that performance is not what I would like it to be , so that is the aim with budget in mind so turbo is out of questions.

I was thinking about the screen just for info purposes, so I know what is happening, don't want to fry my motor. But if you saying that is no need for it, I am more than happy to save them big bucks it costs.
    Got some tips and tricks, install advice, bugs positioning etc ..... .?
    Thanks million

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    I had the complete PcV set with PcV, auto tune/Wideband2 and LCD. Had autotune first but my spyder was not happy with first gen. O2 modifier so dynojet replaced it with wb2 which had closed loop adjustability so o2 module wasn't needed. Spyder was dynoed at dynojet. You just need a floor mounted dyno.
    It worked well but if I was to do it again and actually have to pay for equipments and installation(my spyder was used for r&d at dynojet), I will just get a jb pro.

Cost is one factor, $1000+ for PcV set up and I feel that spyder can not truly be tuned properly due to not being able to tune each gear seperatly. Spyder does not send right band of signal for PcV to calibrate gears. I would rather have on the fly map switching and 3 band adjustability on my finger tip. (you can swap maps on the fly with pcv but only with LCD)
    It was cool to see what was actually happening at any given moment on LCD thou.

If you are going with PcV, I would say go all the way!!! Spyder runs good and you have fun with the gadgets.
    Nice, thanks.
    I pretty much made my mind and picked PCV + auto tune + maybe screen or something to monitor.
    You see if I wanna do something I prefer doing it right or best possible within a budget ( which should be realistic rather than limited) and that is why I am going the route I am going.
    TB seems to be waste of money in this case. I am going to open both ends of engine to let it breathe and unleashed, adding PCV is to prevent motor from frying and also getting best possible performance results from whole set up.
    Appreciate your input though, thanks.

Spyder Garage

Their excuse is that majority of Spyder owners are more than happy with it's performance ( I'll be probably too when I am 150 years old).
    Not bad for a 15yo engine, if turborized....
    Shut up and Race!