Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

Default Elka Stage 1+ vs. Stage 5

I have a question for those who might have changed from Elka Stage 1+ to Stage 5 on a RT.

I am considering replacing the Rear Shock (to improve my wife's hard ride) and front shocks to help with ride. I currently have the stock shocks.

I would consider myself an "normal" rider, i.e., not taking curves aggressively so don't know if the cost difference in the Stage 1+ vs. Stage 5 is worth the money. Don't have a problem investing the $$ if any have tried both in think it is worth the added costs for this type of riding.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the 1+ will work fine for you. I have both and I like the 5 but I push it more than some.

Spyder Garage

I agree with Lamont with his stage 1+ and cost about $700.

Spyder Garage

I will bet with the Stage 1+ you will see yourself going around corners faster after you use them a short while!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not sure if mine are stage 1's or not. I do know that I purchased mine a VERY short time after Lamont recommended the Elka's back in either March or April of 2010. Consequently, I would assume that they are the "early model" Elka's (1's)

First, let me say that I love my Elka's, especially after I have finally dialed them in. I'm 6' tall, weigh about 195 lbs (give or take a couple). I ride 80% alone and my riding style is moderate to moderately aggressive. Flarda does not have all that many twisties.
    I have a 2010 RT-S if that makes any difference in the equation.

My rebound is set at 15 and the shock setting is at 8.75 inches. I have the stock shocks in the back. My wife only weighs 115 lbs so the stock shocks have worked adequately for her.

Again, all I can say is that I consider the Elka purchase my best mod that I've made on my spyder. Well......Let me qualify that. I do love my Corbin seat too.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I met John from Elka at the Toronto International Motorcycle Show today and we discussed my Elka requirements for the RT. He indicated that the Stage 1 Elka shocks are more than adequate for the type of riding most of us are talking about and that the Stage 5's would be most suited for those who drive their machines in a "very, very spirited fashion". He mentioned Lamont by name as one of the candidates who certainly reaps the benefits of the beefed up handling characteristics available with the Stage 5 shocks on his RT.

In short, he recommended the Stage 1 to me and told me that I should wait for Spyderfest at the end of April to try them out on my machine before I make a purchasing decision. I will take him up on that offer.

Nice to deal with a company that attempts to guide you into the purchase of an item that meets your needs and does not in any way try to up sell you to a product that is more costly without giving you a higher level of required performance.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We have the stage 1+ added to our 2010 spyder RT.

2 up I set it to 18 for a comfortable ride with my wife on the back
    for a long relaxing ride I set it to 20.

BUT, when I want to keep up with my friends on a "performance testing" ride I set it at 12.
    Always nice to see people on a sports-bike looking up and seeing an RT close after some nice peg (theirs) scraping roads.

Andy