Spyder Garage

Default Side car or third seat??

How come I've never heard of a 3rd seat on a Spyder? Has anyone? You could stretch it out, like the Boeing 737s or add a sidecar or ........?
    Just wondering. All kinds of things seem to have been done to it, why not add a third person? I know some carry the dog along and I think that's great too. I guess some could take the ex along in the trailer and let her out in the desert someplace. Of course, I'd never do that.
    Maybe a Lamonster "quad kit" could be used to carry 3 or more, with the new 1500 cc engine, or larger, that many seem to want. Those huge 4x4 ATVs might be a place to start. Have a Spyder Lovers' "build off", the electricity of these possibilities is in the air already, I can feel it. Never mind, a grandson just left the front door open.
    Happy New Year to y'all and especially the inventive minds we have here on S.L. I'd offer a million dollars in prize money, but I might go to jail when the law suits were all settled after the non payment to the winners.
    Time to walk the dogs and get back to reality. Just think about ............................!

Tuck

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TuckMiddle View Post
    How come I've never heard of a 3rd seat on a Spyder? Has anyone? You could stretch it out, like the Boeing 737s or add a sidecar or ........?
    Just wondering. All kinds of things seem to have been done to it, why not add a third person? I know some carry the dog along and I think that's great too. I guess some could take the ex along in the trailer and let her out in the desert someplace. Of course, I'd never do that.
    Maybe a Lamonster "quad kit" could be used to carry 3 or more, with the new 1500 cc engine, or larger, that many seem to want. Those huge 4x4 ATVs might be a place to start. Have a Spyder Lovers' "build off", the electricity of these possibilities is in the air already, I can feel it. Never mind, a grandson just left the front door open.
    Happy New Year to y'all and especially the inventive minds we have here on S.L. I'd offer a million dollars in prize money, but I might go to jail when the law suits were all settled after the non payment to the winners.
    Time to walk the dogs and get back to reality. Just think about ............................!

Tuck
    As long as you don't have more than 3 wheels, any thing is possible. [legally]

Spyder Garage

Interesting! For now
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ask Artmu to come up with a prototype and maybe Doc to build a powerplant for it...
    The biggest issue that I can come up with is the length of the drive belt...
    It would seem that lengthening the swingarm and body supports up top would be easiest... Maybe a conversion to chain drive with some sort of idler mounted mid-way...
    Orrrrr... move the swingarm rearward, go to a chain drive back to the new mounting point, and then switch back over to the belt... If the forward belt pulley was mounted at the swingarm pivot point then the belt tension would remain constant!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Ask Artmu to come up with a prototype and maybe Doc to build a powerplant for it...
    The biggest issue that I can come up with is the length of the drive belt...
    It would seem that lengthening the swingarm and body supports up top would be easiest... Maybe a conversion to chain drive with some sort of idler mounted mid-way...
    Orrrrr... move the swingarm rearward, go to a chain drive back to the new mounting point, and then switch back over to the belt... If the forward belt pulley was mounted at the swingarm pivot point then the belt tension would remain constant!

Sorry Bob, Doc and arntu only ride RS's !!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought that perhaps some design work for the "Dark Side" wasn't out of the question...

Spyder Garage

Default Sidecar, etc

I will have to look in my Rolling Thunder pics from a couple years ago for the two Goldwings that were triked, with a very long rear axel and wide rear trunk. I swear they had sidecars, but I'll have to prove it - don't take that to the designers yet! My short term memory isn't what it use to be and never was too good then.

Just picture the looks the original guy received who suggested a two in front trike to Bombardier and CanAm management. They probably threw things at him or her.

As part of this new concept, I'd like to see the pieces that have to be removed for every little maintenance item, replaced by lightweight panels held on by small magnets embedded in the panels and into the frame or what ever surfaces need to have the other 1/2 of the magnet. Imagine walking up to your 2015 Spyder and with a coded clicker turning off the magnets (or what ever is used to lock the panels) and quickly remove the required pieces. Or, they could be held in place with metal rivets with the insert like the plastic ones have now. The inside piece is automatically removed by a specially coded magnetic rivet remover. This is making my head hurt, so work this out and get back to your favorite CanAm engineer. Be sure to include my name for the prize money.
    Tuck

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 3rd passanger

Hi ,I have been reading Spyder lovers for over a year now and this is my first post. I an from Puerto Rico, and yes we ride all year long. I always ride either with my wife or my daughter ,i will love to be the three of us . My idea, will it be possible to convert a pull behind trailer to carry a third person. I've been plannig on getting seat belt , small windshielt extra inner cage , etc. But i am not sure what the LAW will said about this , since is close enough to a side car but still a cargo trailer. Any help will be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Four wheel vehicles for road use must meet the automobile emissions and safety standards in the US. Open 4-wheel vehicles with handlebars are considered to be ATVs in many states, and the use of ATVs on the road is prohibited by many states. Sidecars are difficult beasts when attached to a motorcycle. Attached to a 3-wheeler, they would be virtually impossible to control, IMO. I think that all pretty well rules out the sidecar option. Too many obstacles to be practical.

As was said, there are many technical challenges to stretching a Spyder for an additional passenger. The load capacity has to be increased, the power has to be increased, the drivetrain poses all sorts of challenges, and the handling would change...scaring poor Miss Nanny half to death. I see this approach as feasible, but it poses such high costs and engineering challenges as to be impractical...or at least the job for an entire design group for several years...not to mention testing and R&D time to work out the bugs.

I agree that a trailer would likely be considered a cargo trailer in most states. I couldn't speak to the laws in Puerto Rico. In many states a passenger cannot even be carried in the bed of a pickup, and traveling in a trailer...even something like a travel trailer, is prohibited. If you have to carry the family, I would look at a car...a convertible, perhaps...or maybe a dune buggy.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=NancysToy;403356]Four wheel vehicles for road use must meet the automobile emissions and safety standards in the US. Open 4-wheel vehicles with handlebars are considered to be ATVs in many states, Too many obstacles to be practical.
    [QUOTE]
    GG gave up on their quad version for the U.S. market and came up with the Taurus...

Spyder Garage

Wink Spydcar...

+Here's what it'd look like...

Ride on.
    Roadkill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Great pic

Thanks so much for sharing the great pic. The concept just may be feasable.
    You never know where this important research could lead in the quest for the "VolksCycle."
    Tuck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Four wheel vehicles for road use must meet the automobile emissions and safety standards in the US. Open 4-wheel vehicles with handlebars are considered to be ATVs in many states, and the use of ATVs on the road is prohibited by many states.
    Interesting point, and makes me wonder about the person that changed his rear wheel out for two wheels. Does he get any slack from the law?
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    Interesting point, and makes me wonder about the person that changed his rear wheel out for two wheels. Does he get any slack from the law?
    The Hannigan 4-wheel conversions (actually two 3-wheel conversions on the same machine) are much the same. Most of these things are snuck in under the radar. The machine is registered conventionally, then modified. In states without vehicle inspections it is much easier to continue to fly under the radar, and avoid scrutiny. For a bike that is mostly a show vehicle, it is even easier...they seldom see the road. It is also much harder for a manufacturer than an individual owner. The manufacturer must meet certain regulations to get the vehicle certified, to allow him to sell it in the first place. Modifying a vehicle and manufacturing a vehicle are far different as far as the regulatory process goes.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that if you fly "under the radar", you have to keep that fact in mind...
    I think that Lou has Optimus Prime still registered as a motorcycle...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TuckMiddle View Post
    I will have to look in my Rolling Thunder pics from a couple years ago for the two Goldwings that were triked, with a very long rear axel and wide rear trunk. I swear they had sidecars, but I'll have to prove it - don't take that to the designers yet! My short term memory isn't what it use to be and never was too good then.....
    This sounds like a Hannigan Tri-Car conversion.
    http://www.hannigantrikes.com/conten...arSILVbig.html

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Hannigan 4-wheel conversions (actually two 3-wheel conversions on the same machine) are much the same. Most of these things are snuck in under the radar. The machine is registered conventionally, then modified. In states without vehicle inspections it is much easier to continue to fly under the radar, and avoid scrutiny. For a bike that is mostly a show vehicle, it is even easier...they seldom see the road. It is also much harder for a manufacturer than an individual owner. The manufacturer must meet certain regulations to get the vehicle certified, to allow him to sell it in the first place. Modifying a vehicle and manufacturing a vehicle are far different as far as the regulatory process goes.
    Thanks for the info, and I kinda figured the show vehicle part played into it. I learned something today
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Thanks

That must be the idea behind the two super wide Goldwing trikes I saw at Rolling Thunder 3 or 4 years ago. The things were huge. Well, maybe the gent in P.R. will build one - who knows.
    I can't find the pics I took of the two referenced above. You happen to have a pic?

Thanks again

Tuck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But isn't it fun trying to see if it can be done??

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post

Now this is down right scary looking! I can't even imagine trying to ride that thing. Heck would it even fit inside a lane. I remember last year on the way to Maggie I was on some back roads where I just barely fit between the lines. Having owned 2 sidecar rigs I wouldn't go near that thing!

I think if you want to carry more than one people passenger you are going to get a separate rig for those outings in addition to your Spyder. A sidecar and a Spyder just aren't made to go together.
    You did notice the side car isn't attached to the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Default Hannigan rig

Yes, Mr. Orange, I saw two of em at Rolling Thunder. They were humungous. If the 3 wheel is max for road use, don't know how you'd handle something like this on a Spyder. Can't concentrate on this tonight. Sugar Bowl is on and it's 21-17, WV leading Clemson at the start of the second quarter. Mr Orange, thanks for the pics. Guess the next step is for an extended Spyder for a third seat. Way over my head, but I'm sure it's doable by someone on this board.
    Tuck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

(HIJACK)
    Not much of a defensive struggle; was it??

Spyder Garage

Now the Hannigan 2 place Tri-car setup on a ZX-14 with the Earles fork MIGHT be interesting. A friend of mine had the full EML kit on a KZ1300, and with the right ballast (or passenger), it was FUN.

john

Spyder Garage

Default Orange Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    (HIJACK)
    Not much of a defensive struggle; was it??
    First quarter was ok and then Clemson must have been thinking about playing high school teams.

They ran the first play for a score and then did ok until they swapped end zones. Maybe it was some reflection 0ff their helmets????

I normally support the underdogs, so I was pretty happy. That's assuming the Mountqaineers were underdogs. Guess noone told them that.

Tuck