Quote Originally Posted by ironpumper View Post
Cool thread. Well, they are assembling my RT today so I'll be another HAM on a spyder.
(Amateur Extra)

I like the pic of the install above - I have an ICOM 880 I may install like that as it's head unit
is separate. Although the new 2730 or 5100 look nice. I also have a couple 2300H's I could
use but they are an all in one unit so installation would need some room. On the plus side
for the 2300 is they have no fan.

Question: Has anyone ever installed an HF rig on their Spyder? I have a 7100 that I'll probably
end up installing in my diamond plate trailer (Main unit and probably a screwdriver antenna) and
have the head unit to put on picnic tables while camping. I'm wondering if anyone installed
a mobile HF all band/all mode unit directly on the spyder, what antenna they like, etc.

I don't think HF on the Spyder is practical. There isn't enough metal to create an effective ground plane and it would be almost impossible to keep an antenna tuned. Also, the typical 100 mobile HF rig would draw more current that is safe on the Spyder. You could end up stuck somewhere with a battery in discharge condition. I can't speak for the trailer installation, but the Screwdriver antennas are to massive for Spyder installation. They need a really solid mounting place, which the Spyder lacks. I run an IC-7000 with the Screwdriver Model 75A Stubby on my truck. No way would I try and put it on the Spyder.