Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Octane

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Octane

Ok peeps, what octane are u using? Manual says minimum 91??

RR Springfield (1 mile South of Cantrall) Illinois
    Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Octane

87 or 89 depending on the price....

Without Trailer
    With Trailer

Spyder Garage

We have 87, 88, and 90 available here. I have tried all the grades--but the RTS (IMO) runs best on the 90. It seems sluggish with lower blends.

My Kawasaki 990 LT runs great on the 87.

I am guessing when you mix in ethanol blends that also throws other things into the mix.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-29-2011 at 12:42 PM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I give mine just what the doctor ordered... They're smarter about this stuff than i am.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I use no less than 89. If I'm riding in the mountains or on a long trip it's 92 or more, 92+ keeps the engine cooler and I get more mpg. If I going to ride where it's going to be hot and/or humid I use Sta-Bil, it prevents corrosion from moisture and ethanol-induced water attraction. I add 1 ounce per tank full in my Syder RS-S. That's IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Garage

I use Premium in my 2008 RS. I've tried all 3 grades. It's not as noticable in the winder/cold months. But in the summer it's about 3~4 mpg better with Premium which pretty much pays the difference and I get better performance as well.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I mostly use 89. Every once in a while, I will use 91 or 87. I have not noticed a big difference...

Spyder Garage

I use REC 90 non ethanol, even in my Toyota truck, more power and better mileage for about the same price as premium, luckily I am close to farming and fishing areas and it is readily available for non highway use only, except for me that is. I haven't really noticed a difference between 87-93 ethanol gas. My 08 GS is rated for 87 on the sticker, but the new RS's are rated for 91, even though the compression is the same.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I've used 92/93, Makes me feel better, And if i feel better my ride feels better.

Spyder Garage

Default Octane

I've always used 93 in my 2011 RTS SE5.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I use the highest octane I can get. Unfortunately, that's usually 90 octane. Our local station (there's only one) has 86, 88, and 90. I've used them all and, honestly, I can't feel any difference in performance but, for the reasons HDX mentioned, I much prefer using the highest octane I can buy.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    The Spyder has an ion-sensing anti-knock ignition system. When detonation is detected, the computer will remove some ignition timing advance. When timing is retarded away from optimum, power and fuel efficiency will suffer. Higher octane is less prone to detonation. Lower octane 'pings' under load sooner.

It all depends on how and where you ride your Spyder. If you don't carry a passenger, or climb hills, or 'test' the upper limits of the rpm range, you'll probably never require the higher octane. If you do any or all of the above above, why not run the higher octane, and take advantage of the aggressive ignition timing? If your going to play in the power band of the Rotax, why handicap the engine from the start with less than optimum fuel?
    The RS uses ion-sensing knock detection. I believe the RT uses knock sensors.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default No Ethanol 87

Filled up the last two times (been warm enough to ride and I didnn't think I'd get through that last tank before it got REAL cold) with 87 from the ONLY no ethanol pump in the entire city. I wish it was 89 or 91, but I'd rather have lower octane than have the ethanol eating away anything rubber inside for a whole winter. It's more expensive, but then again, it's not "watered down" either...

It'll get back up to the high 40's eventually.... and not be dark by 5PM... but it seems like forever!
    Regards-

Frank.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 1330
    2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5 998 (sold)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Besides; on a four-gallon fill-up the cost difference is minimal...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    I've used 92/93, Makes me feel better, And if i feel better my ride feels better.
    Premium and Star*Tron every tank full, average MPG 33.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

you ALL have very informative advise.

personally... I use 87 NON ethanol, plus a
    fuel additive one of our techs uses for auto
    induction services. seems to work good.

we both use the same fuel grades, and the
    same additive; and his bike runs good as
    well. he just tore his entire drive train down
    to rework everything, due to a base gasket
    leak. when the pulled the pistons, at 132,000
    miles, there was barely any carbon build up
    on the piston tops; and no scoring on them
    or the cylinder walls or rings. so maybe we
    latched onto something that works for us in
    this area.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Always 91 and sometimes 93 if its available and the price is right but no less than 91

Spyder Garage

Default Octane in my RT

I guess I'm a bad guy. I use 87 with what ever is in it and the new green stuff, not Stabil. I'd be happy to use no ethanol gas, I don't think there's a pump around here anywhere. I'll have to keep an eye out for one. I don't expect max performance and I think what I'm doing is ok.

Big Red Bug is in the shop for a coolant leak. It's not awful, but obviously it has to be addressed. The tech couldn't make it leak a drop this afternoon. My poor bug looks awful de-skinned. BUDS said everything was ok - big deal. They suspect the base gasket per above. Difference is mine has only 7,400 miles, not 132,000.

Tuck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boriken View Post
    Premium and Star*Tron every tank full, average MPG 33.
    second the StarTron.

States We Have Been To On Our Spyder

My mods: Green filter, Air box mod., Muzzy exhaust, Cat Bypass, Exhaust Heat Wraped, Powder coated all Bare Metal surfaces, Capt. Jim`s Belt Tensioner, Custom Built Highway Pegs, Elka front shocks, RS-S rear shock, 2011 smaller windshield, Dynojet PowercommanderV & Autotune, NGK iridiom DCPR9IEX spark plugs, Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra rear tire, General Altimax HP 185/60R14 front tires, Corbin seat & backrest, BRP hitch. I need to stop!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 8 LEGS View Post
    Ok peeps, what octane are u using? Manual says minimum 91??
    I use what is recommended by the manufacturer. For the RT, that is 91 octane (US). In this area our premium is actually 93 octane. The RT will run on lower grades, but it will not run as well. This is not some half-baked theory or a conspiracy hatched by the oil companies to get more of your bucks, it is an engineering fact. When running lower grade fuels, the RT will adjust the engine timing accordingly, to prevent knocking. This reduces performance. If this fits your style of riding, fine, but I like a more spirited ride.

BTW, using premium fuel will only cost you about $100 more a year if you ride 12,000 miles a year.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 12-28-2011 at 11:28 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Octane

I just double checked my 2011 RT-S. The label by the gas fill said minimum 87 octane. Have tried 91 non-ethanol highest available in our part of MN, $0.50 per gallon difference. I did not notice any difference in fuel economy. Always used mid-grade or premium in my 08 RS/GS.

Spyder Garage

If you go to pure-gas.org you can find if there is a station in your area that sells non ethanol in Canada or the U.S.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    BTW, using premium fuel will only cost you about $100 more a year if you ride 12,000 miles a year.
    Most of us wouldn't miss it when it's only spent about a dollar at a time...

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Default So True

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I use what is recommended by the manufacturer. For the RT, that is 91 octane (US). In this area our premium is actually 93 octane. The RT will run on lower grades, but it will not run as well. This is not some half-baked theory or a conspiracy hatched by the oil companies to get more of your bucks, it is an engineering fact. When running lower grade fuels, the RT will adjust the engine timing accordingly, to prevent knocking. This reduces performance. If this fits your style of riding, fine, but I like a more spirited ride.

I agree with you Scotty. If recommended then use it. For the back yard engineers, use what ever suits your personal needs. The RT has a higher compression engine then the GS does and detonation is a killer. Many Miata guys that I know think of saving a few bucks when filling up as the Miata recommends 91 as well. I want any vehicle I own to run at it's best and last longer!!

Spyder Garage

Default manual spec 87 octane

+I've used the manual spec 87 octane in my '08 GS since day 1, including aggressive driving, without ill effect and will continue to do so.

Ride on.
    Roadkill