Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 600 miiles service done.

Amazing how much prices vary from one stealer to another. I got mine yesterday for $225.00. Hurts being so close to the end of the year and having so much things to pay, but I did not want to take a chance with the warranty. I'm not sure about the next one... I may try to do it myself or take it to my friend's shop where I have all my bikes serviced.
    BTW - I was watching a Can-Am video in the showroom while waiting for the trike and LAMONT was the star!

Spyder Garage

Default Way cool

I agree. I've got my dealer charging $189.00. Next time, I do it myself. It's more fun that way. Merry Christmas!

Spyder Garage

Default Service

You all are lucky! Our service has been running about $400.00 each time and it's just for service!!!
    2014 RT Limited SE-6 in Black Currant. Mods so far: Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder Kit, Diamond R Drivers Tour Mug, Tric Led Drink Holder, BRP Hitch, Mini Trailer USA Nomad Trailer. RonBar and links, Spyclops I & II, Lighted Bump Skid, LED head and fog lights. Foam hand grips. A arm lights, both upper and lower

Spyder Garage

I can do an oil change for about 75 bucks CDN . That's swapping out all crush washers, O ring, oil filter, tranny filter oil and a new worm clamp for the oil strainer as well I grease the front suspension. Takes about 1 1/2 hours . Get most of the supplies from Bajon Ron site sponsor .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    I can do an oil change for about 75 bucks CDN . That's swapping out all crush washers, O ring, oil filter, tranny filter oil and a new worm clamp for the oil strainer as well I grease the front suspension. Takes about 1 1/2 hours . Get most of the supplies from Bajon Ron site sponsor .
    Getting oil change supplies fron BajaRon is quick, easy and at a great price. Add a torque wrench, jack, jack stands, and a little elbow grease and save a lot of money over time! I did one oil change and the savings paid for all the tools required. The oil change is not hard you just need to follow the directions.

It is also pretty satisfying to do the work yourself.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyder Garage

Default You are getting robbed.

Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    You all are lucky! Our service has been running about $400.00 each time and it's just for service!!!
    That is WAY too much for an oil change!
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kinggeek View Post
    That is WAY too much for an oil change!
    The dealer in Denver charges 867.00 for the 6k service.... next closest dealer in each direction 150 miles. What kind of BS is that????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dealer, South Texas Suzuki, Lytle, TX charged me $189 for the 3,000 mile check. I have the SE5, so two filters. They checked and adjusted the belt, checked several other items and showed me the BUDS check list on their laptop. My friend just had his 6K check for $189. I am okay with this charge as I have peace of mind they are taking care of me. They said I can bring my own oil and reduce the cost...so I bought a case of Amsoil from BajaRon, and will go full synthetic.

Last edited by Mr. White; 12-24-2011 at 01:38 PM.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 15,000 mile svc

I spent the morning doing my own 15,000 mile svc.

put some Christmas music on, grabbed the owner's
    manual; and started pulling off plastic. I had done a
    6,000; so it didn't take me AS long as the first time.

this time, I used Mobil One, full synthetic, changed
    the crush washers, oil filter and O ring. I also took
    the time to check all of the fluid levels, the tires, the
    lights and inspected the belt.

took me the better part of three hours of putzing
    around; but I had fun and took my time. approx.
    $60.00 invested... and I do torque drain plugs and
    filter cap bolts. KEEP ALL of your parts/fluids receipts !!!

I'm not comfortable to doing the bigger svc requirements,
    so I let the dealer do it; and they are fairly reasonable. not
    a bad way to spend Christmas Eve morning. and three days
    before it's First birthday.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GnA View Post
    The dealer in Denver charges 867.00 for the 6k service.... next closest dealer in each direction 150 miles. What kind of BS is that????
    OMG, that is insane! HAVING A SPYDER DEALERSHIP MUST INCLUDE A LICENSE TO STEAL! Hopefully you are doing it yourself at this point. I am not a mechanic but I have a few tools and can follow directions.w

My 6000 mile service was $225ish and that was when I decided tp start doing my own oil changes. My Spyder is <11 months old and approaching 12,000 miles. decided I could not afford $225 every three months.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WARRANTY WORK

I think the best Christmas present is having your Spyder OUT OF WARRANTY so you no longer have to deal with those who steal......mike...MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

Spyder Garage

I have no problem with people doing their own service, where possible, but please understand that there is more to a service interval than just an oil change. Be sure to read the requirements in your owners manual, and do everything required. It is also important at 600 miles to have the Spyder connected to BUDS to download any fault codes, which can be cleared and addressed at that time, and to do a computer check for outstanding warranty campaign work that must be performed.

Just so you don't think the dealer rates are pure highway robbery, the 600 mile service takes about 1.5 to 2.5 hours, and requires $50-$100 in parts and supplies. At $75-$100 an hour labor, it adds up fast. $150 is cheap, while $350 would be on the high side of normal.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I have no problem with people doing their own service, where possible, but please understand that there is more to a service interval than just an oil change. Be sure to read the requirements in your owners manual, and do everything required. It is also important at 600 miles to have the Spyder connected to BUDS to download any fault codes, which can be cleared and addressed at that time, and to do a computer check for outstanding warranty campaign work that must be performed.

Just so you don't think the dealer rates are pure highway robbery, the 600 mile service takes about 1.5 to 2.5 hours, and requires $50-$100 in parts and supplies. At $75-$100 an hour labor, it adds up fast. $150 is cheap, while $350 would be on the high side of normal.
    Agree 100%. I do the parts I can like the oil change and let the dealer do what I can't. My dealer was charging $200ish for just the oil changes that I can do for about $65.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My 600 mile checkup relieved me of $355.00. I now have 3100k miles. I am afraid I might have to take a second mortgage on my home for this trip to the dealership.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydeRider2010 View Post
    ...this time, I used Mobil One, full synthetic, changed the crush washers, oil filter and O ring...
    I hope you used Mobil 1 motorcycle oil and not Mobil 1 automobile oil. The latter contains friction modifiers which can lead to clutch slippage.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    I hope you used Mobil 1 motorcycle oil and not Mobil 1 automobile oil. The latter contains friction modifiers which can lead to clutch slippage.
    Even their For motorcycle;; ''now'' has a ''SM'' rating.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I used the SM rated Mobil 1

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydeRider2010 View Post
    I used the SM rated Mobil 1
    Mobil 1 SM is not rated for your Spyder. When they went to the SM rating the Mobil 1 is no longer recommended. I used Mobil 1 on my first oil change before they switched now use Castol.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

good info. thanks for the heads up

chickridin

My Spyder is due for it's 6000 service. I was going to have it done in November but got sick and had to canc el. The dealer I bought from, a 40min drive, wants about $650 for the total job with valve adjustment, $350 without, and another that is about 1 1/2hr away wants almost $900 for the same job and won't do the job without doing the valve adjustment. (valve adjustment is a whole other story)

Why is it that they don't know how to price the service on the Spyders?? It sure isn't like they're new any more. I agree with everyone on the fact that prices vary greatly between dealers but I don't understand why. You can call several HD dealers, or Honda's for that matter, and get prices that will be within a few dollars of each other, so why is this happening with the Spyders????

In my next life I want to be a Spyder mechanic.

Spyder Garage

RE: Valve adjustments. Most of us have agreed that the valve adjustments are not necessary until about 30,000 miles plus.

I had the job done on my 2008 GS when suggested, and it added $800.00 to the bill. It takes about 8 hours labor. My current 2010 RTS has 23,000 miles on it and I have not done the valve adjustments yet.

Any dealer that will not do service unless you do valve adjustments is one to avoid in my book. The word is out that the adjustments don't need to be done early on--so I am guessing that shyster dealers are charging for the work and doing nothing. A nice piece of extra profit for doing nothing.

My dealer checked his personal machines RS & RTS at the suggested intervals, and said no adjustments were needed.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

chickridin

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    RE: Valve adjustments. Most of us have agreed that the valve adjustments are not necessary until about 30,000 miles plus.

I had the job done on my 2008 GS when suggested, and it added $800.00 to the bill. It takes about 8 hours labor. My current 2010 RTS has 23,000 miles on it and I have not done the valve adjustments yet.

Any dealer that will not do service unless you do valve adjustments is one to avoid in my book. The word is out that the adjustments don't need to be done early on--so I am guessing that shyster dealers are charging for the work and doing nothing. A nice piece of extra profit for doing nothing.

My dealer checked his personal machines RS & RTS at the suggested intervals, and said no adjustments were needed.

The mechanic where I bought it told me that it wasn't nessesary, unless I was having issues, and I was assured that it wouldn't void the extended warranty that I bought. I'm going to have the service done without it. And believe me, if anything happened and they blamed it on the fact that that part of the service wasn't done, well.......

Spyder Garage

The magic "operative term" here is if you are "having issues". The consensus of many earlier posts on the subject was that BRP was probably overly agressive on the valve check intervals.

To me, its a little like the crap shoot that you take when you decide how much deductible you are going to go with your insurance. Less deductible, more insurance $ paid.

Back to the valves--I have saved $1600 to date on valve checks for my RTS--but I am going to do them when I hit the 30,000--just to be safe--or unless I have issues.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default 600 Mile Service.

Going in Thursday for the 600 mile service on my RT. Called my two local dealers here in Knoxville, AGT quoted me $297 plus parts and Mountain Motorsports quoted me $250 parts and labor. AGT lost the sale on the bike because of their pricing and now it looks like they’re not getting my money in the service department either. It’s a shame because AGT is only minutes from my home and it would be nice to have a relationship with them but as a wise man once said “it’s the economy stupid”.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EddieK View Post
    Going in Thursday for the 600 mile service on my RT. Called my two local dealers here in Knoxville, AGT quoted me $297 plus parts and Mountain Motorsports quoted me $250 parts and labor. AGT lost the sale on the bike because of their pricing and now it looks like they’re not getting my money in the service department either. It’s a shame because AGT is only minutes from my home and it would be nice to have a relationship with them but as a wise man once said “it’s the economy stupid”.
    When I had the 1st service done on my 2010 RT at AGT they charged me $366. including tax & parts.
    They do not give a discount on parts to their customers like some dealers do, even if you bought the spyder from them!
    Surprising that Mountain Motorsports has better pricing because I heard they are partially owned by AGT !
    Last edited by cjackg; 12-28-2011 at 06:48 PM.