Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Transmission Light

Still having trouble with the semi automatic transmission. The "check transmission" light comes on and won't shift out of first gear (until after turning it on and off a few times). Dealership came to tow it to the shop and they took it in right away to see what was up. I get a call back that there were no transmission lights on, no codes thrown when plugged into computer, and they even took it for a ride. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I emailed them a picture that I took of the dash showing the "check transmission" light that I took hours before they picked it up. That was two days ago. Guess I'll wait til Tuesday to hear what's up. Again, this all started when I got in a cold rain storm about a month ago and the light always shows up now. I installed the fan can and removed the panel underneath to redirect the heat, so I don't know if that would have anything to do with. I'm stumped.
    I understand that turning the Spyder on and off may reset the on board puter, but the light came back on immediately after turning it back on to release brake to load on the trailer.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

The next time you get the "Check Transmission" warning, pull up the active fault codes yourself. On the RT that is done (with the key on) by pressing "Mode", "Set", And the turn signal cancel simultaneously. It is easiest to hold in the "Mode" and "Set" buttons first, then push in the turn signal cancel button while holding the others. When you release the buttons, the fault codes will be displayed on the dash. If it displays P0000, there are no active fault codes. These same fault codes should have been stored in BUDS, and have been accessible by your dealer. If there are no active fault codes,you probably have a wiring or connector problem. Riding in the rain should not have caused problems. If it is a wet connector, the problem should be permanently corrected by the dealer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Dealer had my RT-S for about 3 months and couldn't find what was causing the check transmission light. Brought her home the other day without any problems and this AM light came back on and FINALLY got a code when I checked for codes. P0976

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thank you Doc!!!! Calling dealership right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc - Riverside View Post
    P0976 code description is "Down shift solenoid shorted to ground or open circuit". Probable Cause " Damaged shift DOWN solenoid valve circuit, damaged circuit wires, damaged connector or damaged TCM output pins".

As you stated this all started after you ran into some ran the connector may have been put together improperly and moisture/dirt got into the connector and may be causing intermittent problems.

Doc