Spyder Garage

Default LED or HID What you think?

Looking at some winter enhancements to my new ltd and first on the list is upgrading the headlights to HID’s, no brainer here it made a night and day difference on my BMW-LT and I would not expect anything less with the spyder. Next I’m thinking either replacing the fog lights with the LED units or adding HID running lights. I’m familiar with the HID running lights but have never seen the replacement LED fog lights. There is sizable price difference between the two and was curious if anyone can shine a little light on the pros and cons between the two.

Ed

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Friends,

If you aim your OEM headlights correctly you will find that they shine well and illuminate the road ahead very well. The trick is to get them aimed. The instruction book doesn't indicate the way to do this correctly. One of my cars has its headlights the same hight as my 2008 GS Spyder. What I did was to shine the headlights of this car on a wall 30 feet away and mark the outline of the beams on the wall with a piece of chalk. Then I put my Spyder in the same spot my car had been in and adjusted the Spyder's lights to what I had marked on the wall with excellent results. The OEM lights are all you need so don't spend on something that you don't need just because you don't know how to aim your headlights. The Spyders do not have a way to adjust them horizontally. Arthur---Mexico City

Quote Originally Posted by EddieK View Post
    Looking at some winter enhancements to my new ltd and first on the list is upgrading the headlights to HID’s, no brainer here it made a night and day difference on my BMW-LT and I would not expect anything less with the spyder. Next I’m thinking either replacing the fog lights with the LED units or adding HID running lights. I’m familiar with the HID running lights but have never seen the replacement LED fog lights. There is sizable price difference between the two and was curious if anyone can shine a little light on the pros and cons between the two.

Ed

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

A full set of HID lights is the way to go. I adjusted the marginally ok stock lights many times and they just dont do enough. Now if you see this coming at ya.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Step toward the light...

HIDs throw a pretty "precise" pattern with sharp cutoffs... The question becomes the expense!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

To each his own. Your eye site will tell you which is best. I have a hard time with night vision. I added a set of HIDs and also a set of Clearwater Lights which are adjustable and now I can drive at night and feel saver. Why they don't have HIDs as a stock item I don't know. Almost all motorcycle manufacturers have them stock on their bikes. You never hear anybody complain of too much light.

Spyder Garage

After you have tried to ride a 60s Triumph with 6 volt Lucas lighting down the road, with its flickering, weak, vaguely focused output, almost anything seems good by comparison.

Seriously, the stock Spyder headlights beat those on any motorcycle I have ever owned (which says a lot!), but HIDs are even better.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 12-25-2011 at 10:28 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    After you have tried to ride a 60s Triumph with 6 volt Lucas lighting down the road, with its flicking, weak, vaguely focused output, almost anything seems good by comparison.
    Did you mean to say, "Lucas.. The Prince of Darkness"?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

When I was at Cowtown they installed a pair of Clearwater Glendas for me. The way they fit and work on the bike is really slick. They seem to fill in well for the stock headlights and make the bike very visible.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rogerb View Post
    You never hear anybody complain of too much light.
    Unless it's on-coming traffic getting dazzled by some brainless so-and-so who thinks only that more just HAS to be better. Taken to its ultimate conclusion, eventually everybody will have bigger and bigger HID's and nobody will be able to see a darned thing for the glare.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    Unless it's on-coming traffic getting dazzled by some brainless so-and-so who thinks only that more just HAS to be better. Taken to its ultimate conclusion, eventually everybody will have bigger and bigger HID's and nobody will be able to see a darned thing for the glare.
    Anyone that's ever ridden with a group with HIDs and having that glare in your mirrors because of the ones behind you, well its awfully distracting and also for on-coming traffic. A lot of riders feel more is better, but theirs a downside. If you feel you need all of that candlepower at least have them properly aimed. Most people don't take the time to have that done.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    A full set of HID lights is the way to go. I adjusted the marginally ok stock lights many times and they just dont do enough. Now if you see this coming at ya.....
    dave01... Are those HID fogs? If so, make & model & supplier please. Do you have any electrical interference problems? I tried HIDs in my fogs on the 2009 RS but the kept shutting down, so I eventually reverted back to the original BRP fogs and all was well from then on. On the new RT I don't want to spend a bunch of bucks on something that is going to cause me a lot of grief and cause me to revert back to original.
    Regards....
    GregP

PS... Has anyone out there tried the new Clearwater 'KRISTA' long distance units? 36W ea. (12W x 3) dimmable. If yes, are you happy with the product?
    Last edited by GregP; 12-25-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Another question

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Properly aimed hid's do not cause glare.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man kevorama's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm having Cowtown install the Glenda's on my 2011 RTS. I live in the country and some of the roads are very questionable. The Glenda's are installed on the lower part of the A-arm and show anything that is down low on the road. They are attached to the head light switch and the low or regular beam has an adjustable hi-low dial. That way if I start getting flashed by oncoming traffic I can dial it down on the fly and not blind those in front of me. I was impressed with them.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.”
    James Dean