Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 12v Power Outlet

I'd like to install a 12v power outlet for a GPS on a 08 GS. How do I wire it and where is a good place to mount the outlet?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydrMtn View Post
    I'd like to install a 12v power outlet for a GPS on a 08 GS. How do I wire it and where is a good place to mount the outlet?
    I installed my outlet in the lower right corner of the dash. You can wire directly to the battery using an inline fuse.
    Attached Images Attached Images

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

I'd recommend using a Powerlet outlet. They are smaller, hold the plug better, and make more positive contact. If you use a Powerlet, you will need an adapter to power your GPS, though. You can get a Powerlet to cigarette adapter or a Powerlet to USB adapter. For a Garmin GPS you need a special adapter on the USB cable. The Powerlet adapter comes with these if you buy their Garmin adapter.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydrMtn View Post
    I haven't owned the Spyder long so I can't tell you the best place to mount it but I have been buying items like this from Eastern Beaver for a long time. They sell both standard power outlets as well as powerlet products. They also offer wiring kits that make installation very simple and clean. I have been buying from them for years and have never had any issues. The company is in Japan but the shipping is usually cheaper than anything you have shipped in the US. Give them a look.

http://easternbeaver.com/

David aka wngrr

arntufun

I have an 08 myself. Mine is in the trunk and IMO is the only place that makes any sense.

I have the 12 volt wired always hot because I want to charge things while the Spyder is off and things (GPS, MP3, ect....)are locked in the trunk while I'm away from the Spyder. The cord reaches just fine from the dash to the trunk while your driving if needed. Besides, the harness to plug it in is located directly behind the fuze panel in the trunk.

12 volt outlets have always worked well for me so I will never waste my money on the powerlet system and then waste even more money on powerlet adapters for my electronics.
    Last edited by arntufun; 01-23-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have an 08 also. I have 2 outlets on the dash. To each is his own, I suppose but IMO I see no advantage to putting an outlet in the trunk. I also use the Eastern Beaver products. I use their fuse box and have my 2 outlets, as well as some running lights, Garmin 660 and trailer lights running through them. I also use regular cigar outlets and so far I've never had a problem with the connections.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

On Nancy's 2008 GS, there are two Powerlets in the dash (one switched and one hot). These are set up for 10-15 amps, so they can power heated clothing. I charge through the unswitched Powerlet. She also has the BRP cigarette outlet in the trunk, but it has almost never been used because it is switched, so it can't charge a cell phone overnight. Thios outlet is only 3 amps, so you are very limited in what you can hook to it. Don't even think of running a small compressor, for instance. In addition, she has a Gerbing heated gear harness which comes out near the steering. It is tucked away when not in use. It is pretty handy in cold weather, since it doesn't require an adapter to hook to her gear. That one will handle 15 amps, too.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    On Nancy's 2008 GS, there are two Powerlets in the dash (one switched and one hot). These are set up for 10-15 amps, so they can power heated clothing. I charge through the unswitched Powerlet. She also has the BRP cigarette outlet in the trunk, but it has almost never been used because it is switched, so it can't charge a cell phone overnight. Thios outlet is only 3 amps, so you are very limited in what you can hook to it. Don't even think of running a small compressor, for instance. In addition, she has a Gerbing heated gear harness which comes out near the steering. It is tucked away when not in use. It is pretty handy in cold weather, since it doesn't require an adapter to hook to her gear. That one will handle 15 amps, too.
    You mean I can't power up my cell phone, GPS, intercomm system, DVD player, CB, tire inflater, speaker system, a few LED's & radar detector using several spliters attached to the single BRP 12V outlet?

Spyder Garage

Default Sure you can!

Quote Originally Posted by pierrelogic View Post
    You mean I can't power up my cell phone, GPS, intercomm system, DVD player, CB, tire inflater, speaker system, a few LED's & radar detector using several spliters attached to the single BRP 12V outlet?

Just need to put a 30 amp fuse in there...

/DISCLAIMER/ No, don't really do it. /END DISCLAIMER/
    Regards-

Frank.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 1330
    2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5 998 (sold)