View Poll Results: How often do you check your windshield mount?

Voters
347. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windshield mount, what are you talking about, I NEVER check it.

132 38.04%
  • I only check it durring routine maintenance.

115 33.14%
  • Mine hasn't broke, but I still check it before every ryde.

77 22.19%
  • Mine broke, so I check the new one every time I go for a ryde.

23 6.63%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down Windshield Middle dog bone broke!

Riding the Spyder tonight with my wife, going 60mph, over a high level bridge and the middle windshield dog bone broke. The windshield slammed down onto the dash. Did not know what happened for about 5 seconds as the sudden rush of wind pinned my head back and i could not move my head. Almost had an accident as the wind shifted as a transport truck went buy at the same time and my head snapped over to the opposite direction.
    Being 6'4" the angle of the wind coming off the top lip of the windshield, now drove under the chin guard of my helmet forcing my head backwards.

This could have been potentially disasterous.

Will put in an incident report with my dealer.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Scarry stuff, just glad you were able to stay safe. Definitely report it to the NHTSA

Quote Originally Posted by gazunni View Post
    Riding the Spyder tonight with my wife, going 60mph, over a high level bridge and the middle windshield dog bone broke. The windshield slammed down onto the dash. Did not know what happened for about 5 seconds as the sudden rush of wind pinned my head back and i could not move my head. Almost had an accident as the wind shifted as a transport truck went buy at the same time and my head snapped over to the opposite direction. Being 6'4" the angle of the wind coming off the top lip of the windshield, now drove under the chin guard of my helmet forcing my head backwards. This could have been potentially disasterous. Will put in an incident report with my dealer.
    We've been working on Teds Red Sled for quite some time now, and I had the entire windshield mount off to get painted, and had to ryde the Spyder that way to the dealers for service, and that was the 1st time EVER that I tried to ryde the Spyder without a shield, and it was NO FUN. Got beat up the entire trip, so I can only imagine how shocked you must have been to encounter this all of a sudden and at speed on a busy highway. I'd definitely recommend also reporting it to the NHTSA as well as your dealer, cause like you experienced, it can cause all types of safety issues. Teddy & I are glad your ok & even tho we've had ours replaced, we still check the new one for any signs of a crack before we head out, just to be sure. Good luck & stay safe

Spyder Garage

Mine broke on Tuesday. I tried JB Weld as a temp fix, but that didnt hold. A 12" wire zip did hold.
    I have a call into the dealer for a replacement part.
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did they tell you how much that part goes for? (Curiousity only; no problem yet!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I was told you can't buy just the bone. You have to buy the whole assembly and I believe they said it was about 400.00.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Windshield collapse on RT

Just getting the info to the top again. Check your"dog bones" of the windshield for cracks!!!

Spyder Garage

Have a bit over 5,000 mi on my RT. So far, so good.

However, the poll shows almost 12% of riders have experienced a broken "dog bone"
    THAT'S A PROBLEM!

I'd be curious to know, how many miles where on the bikes when the broken Dog Bone was discovered.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is it the miles, or the road surfaces?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Is it the miles, or the road surfaces?
    Very true. I know my shield hops around when traveling over the "bumpys".

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RAYYOU View Post
    I was told you can't buy just the bone. You have to buy the whole assembly and I believe they said it was about 400.00.
    At last check, about 6 months ago, that was still correct. The windshield motor is hooked in and the entire assembly has to be replaced. Ours was covered under Warranty and I would think (IMHO) any that are cracked or broken SHOULD BE covered, as this is a known material defect in some of the castings, not all, but some.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaBound View Post
    Have a bit over 5,000 mi on my RT. So far, so good. However, the poll shows almost 12% of riders have experienced a broken "dog bone" THAT'S A PROBLEM! I'd be curious to know, how many miles where on the bikes when the broken Dog Bone was discovered.
    If I remember correctly, ours had right about 24,000 miles when it broke all the way thru. We're now at a little over 34,000 miles and the new one seems to be fine, no visible cracks to be seen, tho I did paint the entire casting flat black so it all blends in to the upper dash panels, and if it does crack, it should be easier to see. Also painted the actual windshield support Viper Red to match the Spyder. Like it much better like this.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FlaBound View Post
    Have a bit over 5,000 mi on my RT. So far, so good.

However, the poll shows almost 12% of riders have experienced a broken "dog bone"
    THAT'S A PROBLEM!

I'd be curious to know, how many miles where on the bikes when the broken Dog Bone was discovered.
    Mine went at roughly 12000 miles.
    My shield also bounced around a lot on the bumpy road to love.........................
    Just after I had the mechanism replaced, I also switched out my original large 2010 screen with a smaller 2011 style one.
    In the back of my mind, I'm thinking that the new smaller windshield design was driven, in part, by a desire to put less strain on this part.
    I've got roughly 12000 additional miles on the Spyder since this repair.
    This was one of the main reasons I got the BEST warranty.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

My Spyder was at 20,000 kms (12,000 miles) when it let go. It is at the dealer now to be fixed and they indicated that the dog bone could not be ordered alone and that the entire motor assembly had to be replaced. The dealer showed me how the new 2013's have holes at the bottom of the wind screen. He was not sure if it was designed that way to reduce the stress on these parts by reducing the pressure on the wind screen.

Quote Originally Posted by gazunni View Post
    Riding the Spyder tonight with my wife, going 60mph, over a high level bridge and the middle windshield dog bone broke. The windshield slammed down onto the dash. Did not know what happened for about 5 seconds as the sudden rush of wind pinned my head back and i could not move my head. Almost had an accident as the wind shifted as a transport truck went buy at the same time and my head snapped over to the opposite direction.
    Being 6'4" the angle of the wind coming off the top lip of the windshield, now drove under the chin guard of my helmet forcing my head backwards.

This could have been potentially disasterous.

Will put in an incident report with my dealer.

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    when i got my 2011rts i noticed how the wind screen would bounce if you were on a bumpy road and when i went in for my 1st oil change i was looking at the 2012 models and i noticed that brp had made a change on the windshield supports i had pins with a snap ring holding my sheild on and the new 2012 had a sleeve with a screw going into the other end so i grabbed a hold of the windsheild and tried shaking it and got no play from it so i told the service desk i wanted the new screws that were on the 2012 as mine was terrible they had to get a hold of brp so they could get those sleeves but it was a great improvement no more play in the sheild and it didnt cost me i guess they did it for free but after reading this i'm going to go check mine out but get those pins replaced with the new sleeve there using on the 12's.
    since this orig post i have not had a problem,sheild solid but scratched where the support is.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

My RS-S didn't come with a windshield, but it has a nice "gauge cluster cover"

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now you're just showing off!

Spyder Garage

When mine broke, I had about 11,450 miles. the part is covered under warrantee, but I'm ansy about getting it done quick. I dont want to drop it off and wait a week.
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Middle brackent broken 2nd time on Spyder RT-S 2010 Model

I had a previous middle windshield bracket break see post no #13 this thread (Yes this in unlucky for me)

I post this on this another thread #8

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...dsheild+broken

Today the replacement bracket broke this time at the end of the bone leg where it connects to the main support windshield frame the earlier one broke at the motor end

My dealer changed it out last Jan 2012 under warranty - My Spyder RT SE5 is now out of warranty but I will see if Can-Am will step up to at least pay for the replacement part as I think it should not have broken within 14 months

I have checked the part nos and can't locate the middle bone leg

I can find the Rear Arms Part No

2010 Under Body & Accessories - Console No 29 Part no 705003991

Does anyone know the part No for the Middle support bracket and is there a different Part No for the later Spyder RT's 2011 or 2012 which My dealer may be able to order as this may have been a revised stronger part

I have posted pictures to show the 2 brackets - The 1st 2 are from 2011 and the last 2 from today 2013
    you will see they have broken in different places

I may have to consider the vented windshield which may relieve the pressure on the brackets
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Last time mine broke you couldn't get just the bone. Have to change whole assembly.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Those with broken brackets... are you riding with your shield full-up a majority of the time?

Just wondering. When I do, mine is jostled around a lot; but not so much when full-down.

Again, just wondering. Thanks and good luck on fixing the problem.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Default wind screen

just wondering is your screen fully up or down when the crack occurs...i found that if my screen is in between it will rattle

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default WARNING FOR ALL RT OWNERS * You may want to check this on your machine

I still do not understand why no one has produce a dog bone in billet alloy or SS... Maybe it will move the breaking to another part or just show the weakness of the stock one? IMHO the windshield should be held by two more dog bones on the side to stop it to move laterally...

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RTS 2010 Winshield loose video

Hi, riders

I have RTS 2010 (no warranty) and my windshield look very loose any suggestion ? Maybe i could break mine someday ?

Spyder Garage

I changed the pins in the arms on my 2010 to 2012 pins and most of the shake and rattle has been gone for the last 5000 miles or so.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chipshotin View Post
    just wondering is your screen fully up or down when the crack occurs...i found that if my screen is in between it will rattle
    While I don't recall the exact placement of the shield when the break-thru occured, I know my habbits & I never ryde with the shield all the way up as it causes too much back draft of the back of my head, and never ryde with it all the way down, as that causes too much turbulance in my face causing the bobble-head effect.

So my personal answer would have to be somewhere in the middle. Usually at low speeds, I ryde with the shield bumped up about 2 inches from the bottom and at highway speeds usually about 4 inches from top.

Doubt if that helps any but I'm thinking we're talking apples an oranges anyways. I doubt anyone will EVER know when the crack actually occurs, as it is something (I think) that happens over time and you can't be watching that little piece of metal while your ryding. Best one can do is to visually check it before and after every ryde just to make sure there are no noticeable signs of a crack. Once the crack appears, its just a matter of time from vibrations and bumps before it actually breaks thru in total failure.

Our replacement dog-bone seems to be holding up well, still with no noticeable signs of cracking. We've since also replaced our stock shield with a Cal-Sci shorty shield, which is much shorter but wider than the OEM shield and has a hole in the lower center portion to help reduce backpressure and turbulance. Thinking the shorter overall foot-print should also help reduce the stress on the dog-bone as well. You may have noticed that the new stock 2013 shields ALL come with two holes cut into them matching the holes at the bottom sides of the wind-shield bracket, I'm sure for this very same reason, to reduce stress and pressure.

Spyder Garage

Question if you put a Cal-Sci on does that void your warranty or will a crack still be covered?