View Poll Results: How often do you check your windshield mount?

Voters
347. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windshield mount, what are you talking about, I NEVER check it.

132 38.04%
  • I only check it durring routine maintenance.

115 33.14%
  • Mine hasn't broke, but I still check it before every ryde.

77 22.19%
  • Mine broke, so I check the new one every time I go for a ryde.

23 6.63%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    I have the tall windshield, & ride with it almost full up, on most rides. Additionally, I adjust the height based on weather, speed, & location - usually 5 or more times per ride, & am at 60+, 80% of the time.

No cracks on my 2010 RTS
    Well, you are lucky. I would have thought that would aggravate the situation. I have my windshield cut down and my bracket cracked and was replaced. I notice it shakes side to side when on back roads (bumpy) I hope my new bracket is stronger?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default New pins

I had my 2011 in dealer for some warranty work and told them about the windshield rattle on bumpy roads etc. It has been like that from the start. I now have the 2012 pins installed and windshield does not move or rattle anymore.

Spyder Garage

Mine broke on the way to SpyderFest and the Cowtown guys fixed it while I was there. Rattle was gone for a couple of days and then came back. I guess I will have to change to 2012 pins to get rid of it.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Just thought I'd BUMP this back into current status since we have so many new owners

Don't get caught by a total failure guys

All you have to do is take a look at the metal dog-boned shaped casting that raises & lowers your shield before you go on a ryde, just a quick glance is all it takes. If you notice a crack, call your dealer and explain the problem & they should order the new replacement parts under warranty without issue.

On ours, it had a noticeable crack in it for a long time before it totally failed, I just didn't know what to look for at the time, as not many others had been reported yet. But there have been many of these castings with cracks in them reported and a few total failures as well. It is very noticeable to see. I'm not sure if they have this issue worked out on the newer 12 models or not, but ours is an 11 and it still had it, so just do yourselves a favor and take a look every now and then Hope this helps someone & Happy Spyder'n
    IMG_20111203_120854.jpgIMG_20111203_154637.jpg

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default now that its broken...

As you may know (other post) mine broke last week in the middle of our 3000 miles vacations ride, I repaired it with 2 zip ties and it hold still! I am wondering why no-one did a replacement part out of nylon or this green hard plastic as used in car suspensions?? It would filtrate vibrations and offer some lateral flex?? I honestly cannot see how this shaking parts (on 2011 and before) would not break again???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RAYYOU View Post
    Mine broke on the way to SpyderFest and the Cowtown guys fixed it while I was there. Rattle was gone for a couple of days and then came back. I guess I will have to change to 2012 pins to get rid of it.
    My 2012 rattles a little on bumpy roads... only really noticeable at slow speeds.

Not sure what changes were made to the pins..

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default windshield rattle

Asked my dealer to order me 2012 replacement pin/bolts for my 2011 because of the shaking when on bumpy roads. I told him I would pay for them if BRP would not cover under warranty. Should be in next week.

Spyder Garage

Noticed Saterday that the one that was installed at SpyderFest now has a small crack in it. Going to dealer later in the week to have them order another replacement.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Break!

So far I haven't had this problem....but.....I don't have many bumpy roads to go down in my area. Hmmmm....now you guys are gonna make me find some bumpy roads to see if this will happen before the warranty runs out. Or, did they fix the problem on the 2011 RT limiteds? Wondering?
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Perhaps a thin layer of electric tape on the pins to 'thicken' them up a bit would help....

I noticed on my way to work that I certainly DO get rattle from the shield system when hitting bumps.... and we have more bumps than smooth roads.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I'll ask again

I asked this question before, even subscribed to the thread, but not getting any replys that way... With all this damage and stress from bumpy roads and all. How many are running on the stiffer ELKA shocks with broken dogbones..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    I asked this question before, even subscribed to the thread, but not getting any replys that way... With all this damage and stress from bumpy roads and all. How many are running on the stiffer ELKA shocks with broken dogbones..

Schnauzer,
    I am running Elkas and I would keep changing bones before I give up my Elkas.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RAYYOU View Post
    Schnauzer,
    I am running Elkas and I would keep changing bones before I give up my Elkas.
    I'm just curious if the rigid ride is part of the failure. I can see from looking at the product it is engineered with failure from material..."Pot-metal"..

But I do see the comments from the usage of ELKA's, Dogbones are a dime a dozen when it comes to comfort/stability

Spyder Garage

Post We also have Elkas on Teds Red Sled

But I'm NOT sure if one has to do with the other as it would seem that these 'dog-bones' came with a fracture when new as part of the original casting and then, any and all vibration is just going to make it worse We had a new one installed (along with motor) under Warranty & have gone another 20,000 miles with no noticeable cracks yet

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

are all dog bones the same size, if one is made from a pattern with aluminum from a 2012 RT would it fit all or are the year and models different?
    Thanks for all input may try to make one for replacement
    spyder2u

Spyder Garage

Post I'm NOT a dealer nor a tech. so I can't say for sure, but I do think so ......

Quote Originally Posted by spyder2u View Post
    are all dog bones the same size, if one is made from a pattern with aluminum from a 2012 RT would it fit all or are the year and models different?
    Thanks for all input may try to make one for replacement
    spyder2u
    I do know that the MY2010 & 2011s are the same for the dog-bone in question, but I've read that BRP DID make changes for the MY2012s, tho from my understanding, this change only had to do with the 'Pivot Points' and NOT the dog-bone, leading me to think its still the same Maybe someone out there thats got a 2012 can compare to confirm this, or one of the techs or dealers that frequent this site can chime in for confirmation

Spyder Garage

Post I just added a POLL to see if we can get some numbers on whats going on with this

This is for ALL RT OWNERS, be aware that you could have an issue, so PLEASE do yourself a favor, and just check your dog-bone shaped mechanism that raises & lowers your windshield, and this is for ALL Model Years of RTs. Just raise your shield to about the middle position and then a quick glance will confirm if you have a crack or not.

Please VOTE in the poll so we can get some realistic statistics on this. Thanks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

2010 base RT with 29,000+ miles. I had never checked the windshield adjuster though I had cleaned in that area. Just checked it and no problem but I will check it periodically from now on.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Default Cracked windsheild frame

Was not aware of this happening. Will be more vigilant form now on. Thanks
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

mine broke about 2 weeks ago,off warranty but brp gave me good will on parts and I paid labour.Where mine broke was down at the motor and there was no way to see down there.Put a hose clamp on it to last till parts came in

Spyder Garage

Default WARNING FOR ALL RT OWNERS * You may want to check this on your machine

3500 miles and mine appear to be in good shape

Sent by morse code from a hidden bunker
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    I do know that the MY2010 & 2011s are the same for the dog-bone in question, but I've read that BRP DID make changes for the MY2012s, tho from my understanding, this change only had to do with the 'Pivot Points' and NOT the dog-bone, leading me to think its still the same Maybe someone out there thats got a 2012 can compare to confirm this, or one of the techs or dealers that frequent this site can chime in for confirmation

OK, I have a 2012 RT limited and the dogbone looks just like your picture, except mine does not have the crack. Just guessing that the crack may be caused by binding of the casting on the stainless steel bolt that goes through the top? I can't tell from your photo, but I have what look like a black Teflon or plastic washer on each side of the dogbone that may help prevent it from binding against the window casting. This may be something that you might want to lube once in a while.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    I have a Spyder RT-S SE5 2010 Model

Any chance someone could list the Part numbers for the Pivot Pins and othe fittings needed from a 2012 Spyder RT
    I want to replace my original fittings that hold the Windshield bracket to the 3 arms
    I have looked on BRP Parts diagram but its not clear if its the inner sleeve and other items needed to get a new set
    I can then pass this info on to my dealer for them to order them in

Thanks for any help
    Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK
    Last edited by eddieshep999; 09-13-2012 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Added my 2010 model details

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb I don't have them now, but will call my dealer later today & report back

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    Any chance someone could list the Part numbers for the Pivot Pins and othe fittings neeed from a 2012 Spyder RT
    I want to replace my original fittings that hold the Windshield bracket to the 3 arms
    I have looked on BRP Parts diagram but its not clear if its the inner sleeve and other items needed to get a new set
    I can then pass this info on to my dealer for them to order them in

Thanks for any help
    Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK
    Give me a little time & I'll see what I can find out

Spyder Garage

I have changed to 2012 pins and it took all of the rattle out of my windshield. Not sure about the numbers but I know the pins are called axles and you only need 3 screws not 6. The pins come with 1 screw.