Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Any Tucson folks

Hi, I have a 2011 RT. It is due for its 3000 mile check up. I have had some issues with the bike since purchasing it. I have to keep 15 lbs of kitty litter in the frunk to keep it from wandering all over at higher speeds. I have been told that it is what the spyders do. On a ride with a group one of the guys noticed that the inner right tire was wearing down so back to the shop it went. I did get 2 new fronts and a realignment but they told me that the machine said that the old alignment was right on. Now it pulls to the left when braking. I like the guys at the shop but I am hesitant to return there since it takes a major visable issue before something gets seriously looked at. So after all this rambling does anyone have any knowledge of an experienced spyder mechanic in this area? Thanks! Anne

Spyder Garage

Which Ride Now location are you using, we only have 2 certified dealers in the area? Don't let anyone but a Can-Am Spyder dealer touch it and take it back until they get it right. This issue could void warranty if non Can-Am service is used and be sure to exercise that warranty infinitely. This is more than just an oil change, it's something that requires a certified Spyder shop to use authorized connection to the Cam-Am BUDS diagnostic via computer. This has become an unfortunate reality, normally a low paying job with a high hourly charge, the quality of service is lacking, techs often don't remain long periods and it's often high turnover, no incentive to stay. The Spyder is quite technical and these shops need to make an effort to do more to retain a Spyder tech and get some experience behind them.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I bought the bike and have had all service done on the Ina Rd. Ride Now. Like I said I like the guys there and they are always trying to be helpful. I just wonder if I don't need another set of eyes to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    Which Ride Now location are you using, we only have 2 certified dealers in the area? Don't let anyone but a Can-Am Spyder dealer touch it and take it back until they get it right. This issue could void warranty if non Can-Am service is used and be sure to exercise that warranty infinitely. This is more than just an oil change, it's something that requires a certified Spyder shop to use authorized connection to the Cam-Am BUDS diagnostic via computer. This has become an unfortunate reality, normally a low paying job with a high hourly charge, the quality of service is lacking, techs often don't remain long periods and it's often high turnover, no incentive to stay. The Spyder is quite technical and these shops need to make an effort to do more to retain a Spyder tech and get some experience behind them.

Spyder Garage

Argh, well that's the location I use. Make them dig, continue to return it for warranty work. Unfortunately, they are limited to what Can-Am lets them perform at each visit and they hold to that. My experience was no extra time or investigation than what Can-Am would pay for the warranty task assigned.
    Uneven tire wear has been a problem on other Spyders, maybe search and or post this problem in some of the other forums to see if anyone with this problem will chime in. I don't know of the "kitty litter" trick or how long you have been riding, but you may be fighting the steering trying to compensate or over compensate correction. An unfortunate side effect of bad roads and a trike is riding the ruts. The front tires are in the grooves and trying to climb the sides of the ruts feeling like it's trying to turn, meanwhile the center of the ruts are high and the rear tire wants to fall of to the left or right. Sometimes feeling like you are snaking between left and right rut.
    I do believe the allignment sensors have some wiggle room, they may be off center. Even if the computer says the machine is alligned, the sensors may not be. Possibly the component or frame station they are mounted to is a little off making the sensors offset when mounted.
    The brakes trying to pull you to one side is not a good thing obviously, that could be air in the line on one side not allowing it to match the brake pressure of the other. Or maybe the brake fluid sending unit not metering the fluid to each brake correctly.
    You paid quite a bit for that machine, continue to return it to them.
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

It may sound too simple, but if the front tires have different pressure (from each other), it can pretty squirrely. Try putting BOTH front tires at 20 psi...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Agree w/Y'ALL

While i've had greqt luck with the dealer and Fred the mechanic at the 22d street location. KEEP being in touch and stick with accredited dealers , then keep notes, if they become non - responsive call the consumer service folks at BRP and they'll get things restarted again. I don't and NONE of the riders I know carry weight of any kind to try to get their spyders to handle/steer properly.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks everybody for the input. It will be going in for it's 3,000 mile checkup after the holidays. I would so love to get to the bottom of this!

Spyder Garage

So I have had a good experience with the Ride Now on Ina. A 6K, 9k and tire change service with no problems. They even threw on the Kumho(sp?) 225 50 15 I found on google for $66.oo and a local Discount Tire matched the price. A much better tire that the stock Kenda in regards to price, miles it should last and performance.
    Last edited by AMTJIM; 03-05-2012 at 07:35 PM.
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Wish you luck

Hope this works out and I'll be interested in your solution. I just bought a used 2008 from Ina and really like the machine.

I am definately interested in the other tire option if they still provide adequate traction (expect they work fine). Its never good when you only have one option for repair or service of any vehicle.

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the machine. Was it the yellow with the tinted, tall windscreen?
    Yes, the car tires can be a better option, not sure I have seen anyone that has made the change complain. I am really wondering what the increased rigidity, handling and traction will be like once I change the fronts, too. I do have to say the fronts looks new compared to how the rear looked, no real compaints about the front other than looks( I wish they were as wide as the rear). I am use to the drift and side wall play of the stock front tires on the streets, but the track was so sticky I found myself ridiculously busy. I would sleep so good after with the amount of ballast I would have to stretch my body into. I had the wheel lift in hair pins so smooth it felt like almost rolled it a once, almost got tossed a couple times when the nanny triggered...I was off the pegs. Front tires change may feel like track performance on the street, can't imagine what that would be like on the track, the nanny would probably dominate, I am out of arm and leg length.
    Some very fun experiences, I may have to break down and get a car so I don't rely on my Spyder so much. I want to do it again some time, put an exhaust back on and do some track days.
    Last edited by AMTJIM; 03-05-2012 at 10:35 PM.
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Color

Yes sir, its the yellow ride with the tall windshield. Rode through the saguaro (sp) park and out to the airport today. Screwed around on some empty side streets doing panic stops, u turns etc to get a feel for the thing. Definately more like a quad but I like it.

From some of the pics I saw of your ride, looks pretty exotic compared to stock.

Never ceases to amaze me how close some folks like to ride on your tail.