Spyder Garage

Default CB Communication and XM Satellite Systems - Are they worth it? $$

Good morning, I pick up my 2011 RT Limited on the 17 Dec and I need to know if the CB Communication ans satellite Systems are worth buying. I am told that it might not be as good as it should be for the RT. If any, what are the exact problems with the CB system? Any issues with the satellite Radio system? Your feedback is much appreciated as it will help me decide to buy the systems or simply go with a Bluetooth system to communicate with my passenger.

Spyder Garage

Anyone using the CB Communication ? Please..is it working well? Are you happy with it?

RR Springfield (1 mile South of Cantrall) Illinois
    Spyder Garage

I use the CB. Went with CB because the Bluetooth limited the amount of connections you could have... One for you passenger, one for your GPS, one for your phone.... Now I'm out of connections so I can't talk to any other rider I may be with let alone you may be riding with 5 others which all have CB's.... You may be able to talk to one or two but not all. CB is old technology but it does work with bike riders. It would be the best of all worlds if you could have both...

Without Trailer
    With Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HntngTrout View Post
    I use the CB. Went with CB because the Bluetooth limited the amount of connections you could have... One for you passenger, one for your GPS, one for your phone.... Now I'm out of connections so I can't talk to any other rider I may be with let alone you may be riding with 5 others which all have CB's.... You may be able to talk to one or two but not all. CB is old technology but it does work with bike riders. It would be the best of all worlds if you could have both...
    Thanks. In terms of quality, is the reception and transmission good or great?

Spyder Garage

That really depends on what kind of head sets your useing. Some are better than others.... We're using JRM's and they are fine.... Really if all depends on closed face helmet, 3/4 open, open, etc. They all make a difference...

Without Trailer
    With Trailer

Spyder Garage

That should have been J&M and not JRM... Sorry about that....

Without Trailer
    With Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default CB and XM

Quote Originally Posted by Max LTD View Post
    Good morning, I pick up my 2011 RT Limited on the 17 Dec and I need to know if the CB Communication ans satellite Systems are worth buying. I am told that it might not be as good as it should be for the RT. If any, what are the exact problems with the CB system? Any issues with the satellite Radio system? Your feedback is much appreciated as it will help me decide to buy the systems or simply go with a Bluetooth system to communicate with my passenger.
    Any bikers that I ride with or groups the CB is used a lot. I consider it a safety feature. To merely touch the transmit button sends up the screen for CB, squelch, Vox, and vox sensitivity. Bikers tell me that my transmissions are loud and clear and their transmissions likewise. CB gets a thumbs up.

I love XM. Have had it on several bikes and the integrated prioritized system on my Spyder is very similiar to the Gold Wing. The amount of time you press the controls is a learned thing. There is a long and short press that is explained in a small fold out pamplet but I can't remember which radio it came with. I travel into some remote places and can listen to news channels and sports but am not overly excited with my XM.
    As mentioned in a previous thread, the helmet plays a serious factor. I have an open face that doesn't reduce the engine noise enough. Would love to have less engine noise. If I wear earplugs to get rid of road noise then the speakers are maked out and I still don't really have the music quality that I would like. I can't get hard wired speakers on my Schuberth which has 84db at highway speeds and is the quiestest helmet I have ever worn. Will probably end up with another full face to maximize stereo quality sound and be able to plug in. (hard wired)
    Being in Army aviation for 35 years spoiled me in the VOX way of communicating and this system is similiar to the Wing but needs some getting used to. I do feel that it is necessary for two up. PM me if you want to talk.
    We all have an end to journey toward
    however
    what will matter most
    in the end
    was the journey

Spyder Garage

I have the CB and Intercom system with the BRP headsets, no problems at all. Just a note if you are want to use the cell phone hookup you will need these to do it.

Spyder Garage

We have the BRP CB system, which we use just for the intercom part, as we haven't yet ridden with anyone else who has a CB. So I can only comment on its use for helmet to helmet intercom work. While some people seem to have it work perfectly right out of the box, others seem to have some trouble with it. We fell into the latter camp, and although it's more or less working now, it's still not ideal. I can hear my passenger fine, but I have to speak pretty darn loudly for her to hear me. We've adjusted and twiddled all the controls, using info picked up on the forum here. In our case, since we were new riders without helmets, we got the BRP helmets and the comm system at the same time we got the bike. If you already have helmets, then one of the Bluetooth systems might make sense, given the potential difference in price (not that some folks don't seem to have issues with the Bluetooth systems as well, but at least there are several options there to choose from).

More Sci Fi & Fantasy Artwork by me: http://www.CynthiaRadthorne.com

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default CB Install

I recently had the BRP CB and headset installed on my 2010 RT-A, and LOVE it! Because we both have trikes, we are often called upon to ryde in the sweeper position in group rides. It really helps to have communication abilities with the lead bike in the event of a breakdown, accident, or if a bike has to leave the pack for any other reason. Good luck, if you have any other questions, please pm me. Ryde Safe!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Radguy View Post
    We have the BRP CB system, which we use just for the intercom part, as we haven't yet ridden with anyone else who has a CB. So I can only comment on its use for helmet to helmet intercom work. While some people seem to have it work perfectly right out of the box, others seem to have some trouble with it. We fell into the latter camp, and although it's more or less working now, it's still not ideal. I can hear my passenger fine, but I have to speak pretty darn loudly for her to hear me. We've adjusted and twiddled all the controls, using info picked up on the forum here. In our case, since we were new riders without helmets, we got the BRP helmets and the comm system at the same time we got the bike. If you already have helmets, then one of the Bluetooth systems might make sense, given the potential difference in price (not that some folks don't seem to have issues with the Bluetooth systems as well, but at least there are several options there to choose from).
    Headset speaker location is CRITICAL to performance. I cannot stress this too much. If the speakers are not positioned properly in relation to the ears, you will not have quality sound. Microphone positioning is critical too, but most people understand that.

Rule of thumb: Before installing the speakers in the helmet, attach the headset to the bike and turn them on. Hold the speakers against your ears and move them around until you get the very best sound - the "sweet spot". Remember what that sounds like and use that knowledge when you position the speakers in the helmet. It is rare that you'll get it right the first try. If the speaker is mispositioned by a fraction of an inch, or too far away from the ear, or a combination of the two, your sound quality will suffer greatly. Move them around in your helmet until you get that "sweet spot" and then permanently mount them in that position.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    ...Before installing the speakers in the helmet...
    The speakers were pre-installed in the helmets when we bought them (one of the options you have when buying BRP's helmets). We've ruled out the speaker position as one of the issues, since we've tried swapping the helmets with each other and get the same result. Also, she can hear music just fine; it's only me that she can't hear. So it's not an issue on the helmet side of things. It's something with the way the comm system is working, which we haven't been able to dial out via the various controls (and we've tried every combination, believe me). Unfortunately our dealer is no help with it ("It only plugs in one way, so there can't be anything wrong with it.") My wife suspects the comm unit itself has an issue, but without a little help from the dealer it's going to be hard to prove that one or another. At least it's working enough that we can use it, just not effectively as we would like.
    Last edited by Radthorne; 11-28-2011 at 03:32 PM.

More Sci Fi & Fantasy Artwork by me: http://www.CynthiaRadthorne.com

Spyder Garage

Default The speakers were pre-installed in the helmets

Try twiddling with the VOX (VOX is Latin for Voice) which is the far right vertical bar that has the head talking to it. Start out with it very low, which you'll probably not hear the radio because it is too low... Move it upward very slow, stopping frequently, until you can hear the radio. That is the point at which time it would take very little noise on your part to activate the VOX. Now you have to move it up some more but only small, small amounts. You have to move it up because when you start your , the noise will activate the VOX and you wont hear the radio. If you can start your before you moved it up a little and still here the radio, then it was too high to begin with. You need to move it down to that fine line. You need to move it a wee bit more. Now when you start to ride around the wind will and RPM's will cause the VOX to activate so you need to move it up a little more. Eventually you'll get it to a point that the noise from the and wind wont activate the VOX. Now your on that fine line where everything is set. Now you'll have to speak a little louder than the sound of the and the wind so you activate the VOX. Now when your putting around town at 25 mph, you'll have to talk like your doing 70 mph down the highway, because that is what the VOX is set at. As your talking, if you lower the volume of your voice, the VOX will deactivate and you'll hear the radio. As I tell my wife, if you can hear the radio, I can't hear what your saying. I also know that if I can hear the music while I'm talking, then she isn't hearing what I'm saying and I need to speek louder..... Although sometimes she ignores what I'm saying no matter if she can hear me or not.....
    One other problem people have is that the microphone needs to be right up to your lips. You need to be kissing it...

Without Trailer
    With Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default CB Communication System

We have the BRP CB communication system, intercom, & XM radio. The last time I used it I had difficulty hearing the other riders talk to me despite being in close proximity. Any suggestions for improving this? The other riders say they hear me well but the range of distance is limited. Could it be squelch volume and VOX? Input welcome!
    Reese
    2010 RT-S SE5 Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

How is the SLR adjusted with the stock antenna?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd2010RT View Post
    How is the SLR adjusted with the stock antenna?
    The SWR (standing wave ratio) is set with a SWR meter. It depends on the length of your antenna and should be done by your dealer (if they know what they are doing) or someone who does know as you might need to trim the length of your antenna...(a little goes a long way) This should be done very carefully....most antennas are spring steel and very hard to trim....in the past when I trimmed one, I notched it with a small file and then broke it off to the correct length.

There are several setting on the BRP radio that need adjusted...VOX, front to rear speaker/headset ratio, etc. I have mine working fairly well. I find the BRP CB is lacking in many areas compared to my Gold Wing CB.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Sorry, I misremembered the acronym - I have a '99 Venture and have adjusted the SWR with a meter that I bought, but the antenna has a screw adjustment thingy in the end - I don't see any such thing on the Spyder.

It looks like some plastic around the back would have to be removed to connect the SWR meter unless the antenna can be removed without pulling plastic (I don't see how that would work without some wierd tool that I don't have.

THX for the reply