Thread: My Relaxed Pegs

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Default My Relaxed Pegs

Well, Just thought I would see if my Hwy pegs could be seen. I made them once I saw them in another post but with Elkas I have more ground clearance, 5 1/2 inches so think it poses no problems. I can now stretch my legs down in front of the footpegs but not out sideways as my hip joints don't like that. I have given some thought of raising the pegs but find the reach just right. I went this way because I found just dangling my legs in front of my oem pegs brought relief. Still have to be careful as taking my feet off the oem peg and away from the brake pedal could be hazardous to ones health.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Very nice!

I worried about the brake for a while too, after adding my highway boards, until I added the ISCI hand brake. Best thing I ever did. No joke, of all my mods it was the best.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Much of a Job adding the hand brake and do you get the same force to get stopped quick?

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tonga View Post
    Much of a Job adding the hand brake and do you get the same force to get stopped quick?
    It is a bit of a job. Click on SteveMac Mods in my signature to read more. I would hesitate to say it is as good or easy as the foot brake. I have small but strong hands and I have no problem. I use the hand brake 90% of the time. In an emergency situation I'll use both but it will sure buy some time to move my crippled right leg from the board to the peg. And i have had to do that a couple of times Sure makes me feel more safe. That's why it is worth the price IMO.
    Last edited by SteveMac; 11-24-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default One year later

I have put lots of miles on my highway pegs with no problems. I still need to block the lower right side opening to stop the heat. I can stretch my legs down without putting then way outboard of the bike. It helps get me comfortable. I have lots of ground clearence because of my Elka shocks.

Spyder Garage

Agree with adding he ISCI hand brake. Best mod yet. Did it because I found my foot was to far from the bake when using the highway pegs. It takes some getting used to but now I rarely use the foot brake.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Not yeti

I have not added the hand brake. Well at least not yet. I only put my legs down to the lower position to relieve my discomfort and some times I just stretch my foot forward leaving my heal on the oem peg and my toe on the lower hyway peg. I am very conscious of the fact my foot is away from the brake so I will use my hyway pegs with care. One friend of mine, who is over 6 feet tall says he like the Spyder but finds his long legs make it a very tight fit. Lots of bodywork. My GS was bad for my legs so when the RT came out I jumped at it. Just love it. Lower oem pegs would be better and a bit forward as well, oh did I forget to mention a V4 engine, maybe 1400 CC's. Just dreaming!

Spyder Garage

Default Relaxed peg mount

Tonga, your peg setup looks like exactly what I need. Where did the mount bracket come from?
    Mark & Evelyn
    2010 Orbital Blue RT A&C SM5, Utopia back rest on a Rich's Custom seat and a 2 1/2 " home chop on the windshield.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mnefred View Post
    Tonga, your peg setup looks like exactly what I need. Where did the mount bracket come from?
    I made them myself after seeing the same thing by someone else but I did it slightly different. I would not recommend it without the Elkas because the Spyder sits to low without. I came up with this setup just by putting my legs strait down in front of my oem pegs while driving and that was the best for my comfort. I did also try putting my feet on the lower wings were most are mounting highway pegs of some sort but to wide for my hip joints. I can put enough pressure on these relaxed pegs to get my total weight off the seat to just wiggle around on my seat. Not much involved making the setup, just flat bar and re- bar. Found that to be the thinnest to avoid less ground clearence. The two welded together offer enough strength. I think that my pics show the welds and I also used two small pieces of angle iron about 4 inches long. Works for me.

Spyder Garage

Looks like a good idea to me. i have an artificial left knee, total, and at times I need to straighten it out for a while, and your peg idea just might do the trick!
    The idea of going to Heaven Peacefully isn't in my RIDERS BOOK,
    Sliding my Spider in sideways, screaming "Man What A Ride" Sounds
    Just fine!

If the police didn't see ME, I didn't do it!