Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rain suits

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default We have the Cabellas Gore Tex

We had some of the really cheaper rain suits when we first got the Spyder, then we went to the Frogg Toggs and all of them leaked if we were in hard rains for any duration. We finally decided to get Cabellas GoreTex Guidewear and we have never been wet since in any rain storms no matter how hard or how long we are in the rain. They have a hood that fits inside the helmet and keeps any rain from going down the neck.

We love the First Gear Thermo suits but haven't been in any rain with them yet, I expect they will keep us dry but they have no hoods so am a little concerned about water going down the neck. Of course if we get caught in rain when it is cold out we will put the GoreTex on over the Thermo Suits and will have double protection and if it is warm out we will just wear the GoreTex rain suits.
    Last edited by Spyderjockey; 11-21-2011 at 08:55 PM.
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Spyder Garage

The best rain suit I've ever had was an HD Goretex, but was over $400. Used to carry it in my right rear saddle bag, until the bag popped open one day and I didn't notice it. Hope someone found it who will appreciate it. Other than this, I've always used Frogg Toggs and they've been great. On my Wing I also used the Bead Rider seat which kept my butt out of the water. Haven't had a problem on the Spyder, even without the bead rider. I'll cast my vote for Frogg Toggs.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MangoMike View Post
    The best rain suit I've ever had was an HD Goretex, but was over $400. Used to carry it in my right rear saddle bag, until the bag popped open one day and I didn't notice it. Hope someone found it who will appreciate it. Other than this, I've always used Frogg Toggs and they've been great. On my Wing I also used the Bead Rider seat which kept my butt out of the water. Haven't had a problem on the Spyder, even without the bead rider. I'll cast my vote for Frogg Toggs.

Mike
    I have always found it very interesting that the same product that one customer raves about, the next one will curse.

I've ridden with Lamont in the same exact weather with the same exact gear on. He gets wet and I don't. Go figure....

I was wearing my Firstgear Rainman (less than $100.00 for jacket and pants) staying dry as a bone. And he was getting soaked in his $600.00 plus Goretex, high dollar jacket.

Again, go figure....

It is confusing but all we can do is call them like we see them.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default The Road Tent

+The Road Tent: raingear for two, stadium seating, you can scratch yourself
    in the nether regions without being seen.

What's not to like? (Wonder how it'd do at 60 mph... 8^O!)

Ride on.
    Roadkill

Spyder Garage

First Gear TPG stuff is water and wind proof. It is really beyond belief to me even now.
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Road Tent huh... Are you gonna get one and give us a report on how it holds up over here in the land of high speeds and crosswinds??
    It does look handy...If you had to take a cr...errrr... restroom stop and couldn't find a restroom it'd at least keep the flies off of you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post

Ride on.
    Roadkill

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

OK.. bajaron, You have a challenge..
    Rain suits that equal the waterproof of the thermal one piece..
    I agree that the thermal is great but when the temp is above 60 degrees it does provide a little too much warmth.. So... need a rainsuit that equals the thermal without the thermal function...

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post

Ride on.
    Roadkill
    I can see it now on the spyder be it RS or RT... you best have a long bungie cord to re-seat you at 60...

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    I can see it now on the spyder be it RS or RT... you best have a long bungie cord to re-seat you at 60...
    You have to admit Forrest that it's pretty clever, and looks cheap too. But at 80 mph, hmm.

Good thread here, thanks Robert. I live in a dry climate, less than 4 in of rain a year. I've only been caught in the rain once coming home from work, a distance of two miles. It was cold monsoon that caught us off guard. But with Spyderfest coming up, how and where do you adequately prepare? It did rain there last time, correct?

I got a RT going two up with all stash spots taken. Where and what do you take?

I sometimes wear a large Camelbak backwards on long trips. It crowds the wife if I wear it on the back. I need her help putting it on. Has anybody put rainwear in the pockets of these?
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    You have to admit Forrest that it's pretty clever, and looks cheap too. But at 80 mph, hmm.

Good thread here, thanks Robert. I live in a dry climate, less than 4 in of rain a year. I've only been caught in the rain once coming home from work, a distance of two miles. It was cold monsoon that caught us off guard. But with Spyderfest coming up, how and where do you adequately prepare? It did rain there last time, correct?

I got a RT going two up with all stash spots taken. Where and what do you take?

I sometimes wear a large Camelbak backwards on long trips. It crowds the wife if I wear it on the back. I need her help putting it on. Has anybody put rainwear in the pockets of these?
    You ride up to Spyderfest in that Japanese rain suit and I'll give you a free IPS if I can take your picture.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If I can hide it from my wife I might. Is there an insurance policy for getting laughed right off the road?
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.