Spyder Garage

Default Gloves and winter riding...suggestions please

I recently purchased a decent pair of winter gloves and they are good to about 40 degrees. But below that the fingers get very cold. So then I read about liners. So I bought a pair. Didn't really give much help...

I see battery tethered gloves and battery operated, and multi power source.

I am willing to buy a good pair, just dont want to be dissapointed again...

What do you guys have and would reccomend?

Thanks for your suggestions....

arntufun

I just wanted to say congrats on your 111 th post on 11-11-11

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default warm hands

I just sent another spyderlover here for same reason.......DENNISKIRK.COM sno-mobile catalog SNOW PAWS I have a pair and wear them when it gets down to 30* below they really work . check them out $ 34 & $ 38 ......Mike

Spyder Garage

my wife wears a heated jacket liner and glove liners from warm and safe. The connect direct to the battery and she loves them.
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Randy you have a keen eye

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I just wanted to say congrats on your 111 th post on 11-11-11
    Very observant of you to notice that Randy.
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

gerbing.com Gerbing is a top quality company for heated clothing. Go to their web site and look around. I really like their gear. If you have a problem, they treat you right...no questions....customer first!

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

The only way to be sure you're hands stay warm no matter what is a good pair of electric gloves plugged into the battery. I highly recommend a Heat-Troller or similar thermostatic control device. Otherwise, all you'll have is an on off switch. Your hands will get too hot and too cold as much as much as they stay just right.

With a Heat-Troller device you can sent them at your sweet spot and enjoy the ride. It's a bit spendy but I've not met anyone yet that was sorry they spent the money. Keeping your hands warm just one time pays for this stuff.

If you get the jacket liner then the gloves will plug into the sleeves and it's a pretty slick deal. This is the combo I use and it is awesome.

There are some great brands out there. I carry the Firstgear brand which is very good.

Here are my prices on the Firstgear heated products.

Jacket Liner (full sleeves) $175.00 Delivered. These come in 65W and 90W versions.
    Rider Gloves $115.00 Delivered. (warmer glove for operator)
    Passenger Gloves $97.00 delivered. (lighter glove for passenger)
    Pants $149.00 delivered.
    Socks $57.00 delivered.

I carry all versions of the Heat-Troller as well.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-12-2011 at 12:17 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Heated Gear

You did not mention if you had heated grips? That was the very 1st thing I installed on my Spyder and I live in Texas where it doesn't get super cold. I ride with a Tourmaster heated jacket/gloves and the pants if it is really cold, it was a great value and came with the controller which was extra $$ on some. Heated gear is the only way to go, its not bulky, packs easy, you won't be disappointed, good luck in your search

Spyder Garage

Hey Ron- I'm interested. But I have questions.

First gear is great stuff. My wife's jacket is FG. Mine is Olympia and I really love the feel and fit. At the moment I'm leaning toward the Olympia Phantom jump suit style cold weather suit (~$400). My thing is speed of in/out. I plan on using it over street clothes back & forth to work, etc. It has to be 'one button simple' or I won't use it long.

I'm in Texas so it rarely gets below 30. But I like the idea of powered heaters at key points with controls. On in the morning off in the afternoon. Add gloves and one of those neck/head things. Cost is not a huge issue. Flexibility, quality way above average, every option available... That's what I look for.

So- hearing that.... Should I still try the FG complete set?

Thanks bro.

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phil; 11-11-2011 at 11:55 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    I'm planning on going with a pair of Held Warm & dry gloves. No they aren't cheap but I've tried them on and I really like them. One of the features I really like is the palm doesn't have any insulation in it so they will work with heated grips much better. http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=5735

I like these, Orange. I looked at them but went with Alpinestars WR-2s. Got a good deal on them, and they will be my first Gore-Tex glove. So far so good, and they have already had a bit of a test as we have had both cool temps and rain. But I am waiting to see how they hold up when things get down to sub-fourty. These might be a better choice, even at the higher price point.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have Gerbing jackets and gloves.... toasty warm! Dual controller ... one control for the gloves and the other for the jacket...Riding in high 20's /low 30's... no problem
    Several folks make heated riding gear. most are good stuff! hard to beat for staying warm.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post

First gear is great stuff. My wife's jacket is FG. Mine is Olympia and I really love the feel and fit. At the moment I'm leaning toward the Olympia jump suit style cold weather suit (~$400). My thing is speed of in/out. I plan on using it over street clothes back & forth to work, etc. It has to be 'one button simple' or I won't use it long.

I'm in Texas so it rarely gets below 30. But I like the idea of powered heaters at key points with controls. On in the morning off in the afternoon. Add gloves and one of those neck/head things. Cost is not a huge issue. Flexibility, quality way above average, every option available... That's what I look for.

Thanks bro.

Everyone has a different idea of what is ideal, that is why there are so many options out there. As mentioned before, some gear includes the heat controller and some don't. Each has it's benefits and I am not sure what the price to price cost is when you compare the two. Getting the heat controller separate usually gives you more options. Gettting it built in or with the garment usually is less expensive.

I can tell you that the Firstgear stuff is very good quality and it will definitly keep you warm. Heated gear gives you a lot of flexability because you can turn it up or turn it off. It isn't bulky, just the opposite. The jacket, pants, socks are very thin and you really don't know you're wearing them. You can wear street cloths over them.

The Heat-Troller comes in many varieties from hard wired/installed on the bike (like what I have) to remote control that you can put in your pocket and other in-between options.

Again, I can't speak for all of the units out there. The Heat-Troller uses pulse heating. In otherwords, set at 50% the Heat-Troller sends full voltage to the garment 1/2 of the time and zero voltage 1/2 of the time. This really conserves energy, a good idea on the somewhat anemic Spyder charging system.

Pulse controllers manage heat by regulating the time energy is sent to the garment, very efficient. Non-pulse controllers manage heat by regulating the amount of voltage continually sent to the garment wasting a lot of energy, depending on how high you have it set. The higher the setting, the less energy wasted, the lower the setting the more energy wasted.

Set to 50%, the non-pulse controller continously sends 1/2 of the available voltage to the garment and wastes the unused energy. They will use about the same amount of energy turned all the way up as they do at a low setting. Not a good idea with the Spyder because of our rather anemic charging system.

You just want to avoid a non-pulse controller.

Most people in reasonably cold conditions will run between 20%~50% of the heating capabiliby of electric gear. With a pulse controller you're really not using that much energy. The Gloves are 15w each (30watts). The jacket is 65w or 90w depending on which one you get. With the wrong kind of controller you'll be using about 120 watts pretty much all the time (higher output jacket). With a pulse controller you'll cut that at least in 1/2 and probabaly closer to 2/3's in most condidtions.

Add the passenger gloves (another 30 watts total), the pants, (15 watts) and socks (18 watts for both) and you're looking at over 180 watts. If you passenger is also going to add jacket, pants, socks the pulse controller looks even better.

The main thing is to know what you need and know the product. Somewhat tough in this cybernetic age but still just as important.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-12-2011 at 07:23 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Everyone has a different idea of what is ideal, that is why there are so many options out there. As mentioned before, some gear includes the heat controller and some don't. Each has it's benefits and I am not sure what the price to price cost is when you compare the two. Getting the heat controller separate usually gives you more options. Gettting it built in or with the garment usually is less expensive. ...-...
    Thanks so much Ron! Great info. I may get the heated Firstgear liner pieces and controller(s) from you and the Olymia oversuit. That should give me ultimate flexibility. I'll PM/email you soon hopefully.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the input guys

Will do some research...definatley need to do something, but now have things to look for....

Spyder Garage

Powerlet glove liners. Lifetime warranty. The Kit can be bought for $125. My wife loves them and I will be using them today, frost outside.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post

First gear is great stuff. My wife's jacket is FG. Mine is Olympia and I really love the feel and fit. At the moment I'm leaning toward the Olympia Phantom jump suit style cold weather suit (~$400). My thing is speed of in/out. I plan on using it over street clothes back & forth to work, etc. It has to be 'one button simple' or I won't use it long.

Thanks bro.

Phil, have you checked out Aerostitch? We were just talking about one piece suits and the speed thing last night and my husband mentioned that he saw a video where they show someone getting into their one piece suit in like 20 seconds. He loves his Aerostitch jacket and pants they are top quality but they don't come cheap.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Phil, have you checked out Aerostitch? We were just talking about one piece suits and the speed thing last night and my husband mentioned that he saw a video where they show someone getting into their one piece suit in like 20 seconds. He loves his Aerostitch jacket and pants they are top quality but they don't come cheap.
    Thanks Ann
    I had not seen the Aerostitch! Mighty nice. I really like the massive zippers. Their info page claims 10sec on/off Pretty cool.

I do wish I had seen it last night . I went ahead and ordered the Olympia Phanthom suit- http://www.olympiamotosports.com/phantom/phantom.htm We'll see how it goes. Kinda hoping it makes me look as good as the dude in the picture . Bet they charge extra for that!