Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 30 Tooth Sprocket-Installed

I could not wait any longer, after doing my 1st oil change this weekend with fresh Amsoil, I installed my still new in the pack Mel's Monster Garage 30 tooth driver sprocket. I had been waiting in case Robert at Industrial Specialty wanted to see it since it had not been installed yet. I realized that it is only about a 500 RPM difference on the highway but it is a major change for the better. I think R1100Rider said it is much more relaxed which is a good way to describe it. I would be fine with lowering it another 500 RPM but the belt is very close to the shifter shaft so the changes would have to take place on the rear sprocket which isn't going to happen. Allignment of the belt was a little touchy since the axle is moved all the way forward but it seems to be fine. The Spyder seems to still accelerate more than fast enough but cruising at 65 is much more pleasant, hopefully Robert at Industrial Specialty will come through with a steel 30 tooth, if/when this one wears out, I would really hate to go back to the 28 tooth sprocket. I will post as soon as I hear back from Robert so hopefully anyone that wants to can experience the more relaxed Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Default 30 tooth aluminum sprocket

If you can get the sprocket made in 6061 T6 aluminum which is easy to machine then as I posted in another thread you can have it plated with electroless nickel and heat treated which will give you a good hard wearing surface. I my opinion this would be better than a steel sprocket. The inside splines would be masked so that they do not plate so there would not be a fitting problem.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would advise that you drill the sprocket bolt and safety wire it thru the sprocket holes since there is no retaining method on these like the fold over washer on most bikes. Everyone argues that the sprocket change isn't worth the trouble but you can see

the diff now and the engine will spin millions less turns over it's life that will be money in your pocket

Spyder Garage

Speaking from experience, it was a waste of time and money. What I saved in fuel and engine wear I lost in the price of the 30 tooth pulley, a new belt and probably extra wear to the clutch due to having to slip it a little more to get going - and it was impossible to get a quick take-off without stalling.

But I try to make a habit of learning from experience.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ghlight=pulley
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

To each his Own....Not sure how you calculated the engine wear...but saving 500 RPM is 30,000 per hour while on the highway, I am pretty sure at least 50 of my Spyders 73 hours have been highway miles. Also not sure about your new belt and wear on the clutch, I was actually suprised that the difference in the take off was barely noticeable and certainly no stalling. For sure the 3,000,000 RPM savings every 100 hours of highway miles sounds pretty good to me, it also sounds pretty good when that engine isn't revving as much, it's still not in BMW territory but it is a lot better. I highly recommend the 30 tooth sprocket and hope Industrial Specialty decides to produce them so it is available to those that realize the benefits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Speaking from experience, it was a waste of time and money. What I saved in fuel and engine wear I lost in the price of the 30 tooth pulley, a new belt and probably extra wear to the clutch due to having to slip it a little more to get going - and it was impossible to get a quick take-off without stalling.

But I try to make a habit of learning from experience.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ghlight=pulley

Spyder Garage

WHACK! Your serve.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boyallie View Post
    WHACK! Your serve.
    Nah, we both lose.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.