Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default License plate light cover missing

The cover to license plate is missing and the shop says I have to pay 50 bucks for whole light assembly. Any thoughts on how to get just the cover?

Spyder Garage

yep it is 48 bucks the lens in heat glued in place and is not replaceable. Other than remove the fender and relocate the plate and lite there is not much you can do. Been there done it 3 times now

Note I did not replace the wires I just but connectors in place since me and my pine tree love each other will save some time next time
    Last edited by angel; 11-05-2011 at 10:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

This is an old problem, and it seems that BRP still hasn't come up with a solution. Mine was replaced under warrantee 3yrs ago.
    The easiest way to fix this, is to remove your lens, and add a small bead of silicone around the edge of lens, reinstall, and let cure.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Others will pitch in.

Quite a few people have had this happen including me. I bought the part and replaced the reflector part myself but there are others who have bought aftermarket replacement parts including BLUEKNIGHT911. in this forum. He might be able to help you with info of what he bought.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had mine replaced via warranty on my first Spyder, yours looks to new for this not to happen for you as well.
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fire911 View Post
    The cover to license plate is missing and the shop says I have to pay 50 bucks for whole light assembly. Any thoughts on how to get just the cover?
    I bought my spyder on 1/22/11 (2010 RS) and lost the light cover about a month ago. Took it to dealer two weeks ago, and they are replacing the whole assembly under warranty for no charge. I would not pay the $50.00, as you can buy the whole assembly for $45.99 (listed on BRP site), and since they get it wholesale then you will be paying for part of the labor too. As others have stated this is not something new, and when mine fell off I figured I was going to have to replace it myself. Then when I found out it is common, so that was when I contacted my dealer. If your dealer insists that you have to pay the $50.00, tell them to either contact BRP (like my dealer did), or do it yourself and find another dealer.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I would also try to get it replaced under warranty. If it continues to be a problem, it can be resolved permanently by replacing with a CAT tail light instead. That is what I and a few others have done.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default RS tail light cover MIA

Last week the 2010 RS tail light cover (just the red lens) flew off while Vaughn was riding down the highway.
    He bought a LED tail light assembly and plans to replace the whole thing.
    Hopefully it won't throw a code.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    I would also try to get it replaced under warranty. If it continues to be a problem, it can be resolved permanently by replacing with a CAT tail light instead. That is what I and a few others have done.

Lost mine twice - checked with dealer after the 1st one was lasr and I was told it was not a warranty issue -- didin't press the issue -- should have. Another spyder owner (not part of the forum) gave me his assembly because he had removed his rear fender and didin't need it anymore. Lost that one in Sept this year -- said to H*** with it and replaced it with an Mini Cats Eye from DennisKirk.com. Now I have a tail light/brake light and tag light combo!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Glad I found this. Lost mine today and dealer said they are looking into warranty issue or not. Now I know to insist it is. Thank you for saving me some dough

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default new item

Quote Originally Posted by Fire911 View Post
    Look at ESI CYCLE new item tail light. ESI is a supporting vendor

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I got an LED brake light from Truck-n-stuff in El Cajon, CA. And a lighted License plate fram from custom dynamics. Pics are on here, take a look.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

The ESI cover is a dandy!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I used the same light Joet82 used....
    2014 RT Limited , Black Current (blacked out trim)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Make your own

When they want to charge you $50.00 for a light it is time to get creative.

Spyder Garage

If this is what you are talking about - I just ordered me one last night.. http://www.customdynamics.com/can_am..._reflector.htm ...I was hoping to shed more light on my rear-end seriously..I did order one

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee67 View Post
    If this is what you are talking about - I just ordered me one last night.. http://www.customdynamics.com/can_am..._reflector.htm ...I was hoping to shed more light on my rear-end seriously..I did order one
    I have one and it's great. Extra light in the back is a good thing, and for about $20.00. That's IMHO.

Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default as long as it's under warranty

Thanks for the info. I'm going to get it covered u der warranty as long as I can then if it happens again look into different options. Really been considering removing the rear fender, this may have been a sign that I'm supposed to.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to get it covered under warranty as long as I can then if it happens again look into different options. Really been considering removing the rear fender, this may have been a sign that I'm supposed to.
    There are two ways this happens. First, the screw can just come out. The assembly has a thin metal bracket that the screw goes into. This cannot bottom out against the lens, so it bends when the screw tightens, and the screw is never real tight. The best cure is to dab a little RTV silicone on the screw hole just before you replace the lens and screw. The second way is when the lens breaks away in the thin area around the screw. The broken lens falls off, leaving just the screw. Your screw may then fall out because there is nothing to hold it, but if you find the screw and no lens, it is certain your lens broke. The best cures are to either reinforce your lens by gluing in some styrene or acrylic plastic at the screw boss, or to purchase the reinforced ESI (Custom Dynamics) lens. You could also put a few dabs of silicone at the lens-housing parting line to hold the lens on no matter what. These can be easily slit if you need to replace the bulb later. Every RS owner should consider these measures. It is far too easy to lose your license light lens, and it is expensive to replace.