Spyder Garage

Default RT Garmin Dash Install

I wanted to say thank you to Dave and Teddy, GeoffCee and a few others for pioneering the upper dash as an alternate location for the GPS on an RT. I always wear a full faced helmet and found that using the factory location, between the bars, required me to take my eyes off the road and tilt my head down to see it. With it mounted on top of the dash it is an easy glance down with your eyes to see the GPS. I did purchase the BRP GPS kit and mounted it up on top of the dash using a Ram mount ball bolted through the dash like GeoffCee did with large washers on both sides. I drilled a small hole in the lower dash for the harness to go through and found a rubber grommet at Home Depot that sealed it perfectly. The factory harness length worked fine and did not require any modification. If anyone is considering installing a GPS I would suggest sitting on your bike, with your helmet on, and checking out this location.

SpydermanCT

2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black PE # 794 ~ RT-622 Trailer ~ Can-Am Garmin 665 GPS ~ Elka Front Shocks ~ ESI Brightsides with Rips Kit ~ ESI RT Fender Tips Kit ~ Rear Brightsides ~ HMT Brake Light ~ Tricplate rear running / Brake LED's ~ ESI Mud Flap Lights ~ LED Day Runners ~ Right Side Inlet Covers ~ Street Magic Scuff Guards ~ IPS Key Cover ~ KewlMetal Kewlocks ~ Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate and Catalytic Converter Shield Set ~ Carbon Fiber Kit ~ Corbin Seat

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

this looks GOOD! where did you route the wiring through?

Spyder Garage

Nice install ! It also makes the Garmin adjustable.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Perfect

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydeRider2010 View Post
    this looks GOOD! where did you route the wiring through?
    To get the top dash skin off you have to remove the windshield, both top side panels, the front fascia or headlight surround, mirrors deflectors etc. The top dash panel easily removes after taking out 8 or so screws. After measuring about 10 times I drilled the hole for the ram mount and mounted the GPS. As you can see in the pic below I ran the wire through a hole I drilled in the lower dash just aft of the lip. The BRP directions tell you to take the right head light out but it was easy to snake the wire behind it and run it down the right side of the bike to the connector in the rear. After having the tupperware off a few times now, it was really a fairly easy install.

SpydermanCT

2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black PE # 794 ~ RT-622 Trailer ~ Can-Am Garmin 665 GPS ~ Elka Front Shocks ~ ESI Brightsides with Rips Kit ~ ESI RT Fender Tips Kit ~ Rear Brightsides ~ HMT Brake Light ~ Tricplate rear running / Brake LED's ~ ESI Mud Flap Lights ~ LED Day Runners ~ Right Side Inlet Covers ~ Street Magic Scuff Guards ~ IPS Key Cover ~ KewlMetal Kewlocks ~ Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate and Catalytic Converter Shield Set ~ Carbon Fiber Kit ~ Corbin Seat

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Awesome Job

416.jpgLooks Better than Teddys 378.jpg

Glad We could help & add some insight

Hope your doing well, we think of you all the time

Still want to maybe do a nice weekend roadtrip out to see ya's

Spyder Garage

just spent an hour out in the garage trying to fish some line in various places to see if I could get it from the right front speaker to under the seat but couldnt find any spaces (no, I did not remove any of the tuperware)

is there a method to do it without removing all the panels, or is that the only (or easiest) method?

thanks in advance

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Can it be done, sure ...................... but

I personally found it much easier to just go ahead and strip the tupperware down. You could do it without, but then you chance the wires getting pinched, and over time, that could lead to trouble. If your gonna do it, do it the best you can (IMHO) which requires removing the tupperware. Once you do it a time or two, its pretty easy, just a little time consuming is all. Good luck and let us know how you make out

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

There is no need to remove the windshield. I just loosened the screws on top of the dash to separate it for installing the mount. I removed the tupperware around the headlights and the top right side panel. I was able to re-route the factory GPS wire which is just barely long enough to reconnect with the audio line on the right side of the Spyder. It took me about an hour to complete the job. I did this almost 4 months ago and it's been the least expensive and most useful mod I've done.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Great job!
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Looks great, does it bounce around making it hard to read? I have a ball mount for my phone, but unless the roads are perfect i can barley read it. I like your install just would like some input before i purchase a garmin? Thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default mount

What is the part number for the part you actually mount to dash to hold gps

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    I personally found it much easier to just go ahead and strip the tupperware down. You could do it without, but then you chance the wires getting pinched, and over time, that could lead to trouble. If your gonna do it, do it the best you can (IMHO) which requires removing the tupperware. Once you do it a time or two, its pretty easy, just a little time consuming is all. Good luck and let us know how you make out
    ... What he said... I don't think there is much you can do with the tupperware on... except ryde!

Spyder Garage

thanks for the feedback

was just looking for the easiest method for getting to a power source removing the least amount of stuff

Spyder Garage

Default Nice Job Greg

One question.
    Do you find the GPS bounces around in that position ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I used a ram mount with a single bolt going into it with a big washer on the inside of the dash. The bolt has loosened up on me allowing the GPS to move slightly from left to right. This winter I'm going to install a ram mount that has 3 or 4 bolts to prevent that movement. There is definitely some vibration (it's inevitable because your flying down the road and sometimes the road surfaces are not very good) but I would say that I am not bothered when it does. It's not like it's unreadable during those times. Is it a more solid installation on the bars, yes, would I give up the safety and convenience of it being on the dash because of the slight vibration I get from time to time no.
    Last edited by SpydermanCT; 09-14-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    SpydermanCT

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydermanCT View Post
    I used a ram mount with a single bolt going into it with a big masher on the inside of the dash. The bolt has loosened up on me allowing the GPS to move slightly from left to right. This winter I'm going to install a ram mount that has 3 or 4 bolts to prevent that movement. There is definitely some vibration (it's inevitable because your flying down the road and sometimes the road surfaces are not very good) but I would say that I am not bothered when it does. It's not like it's unreadable during those times. Is it a more solid installation on the bars, yes, would I give up the safety and convenience of it being on the dash because of the slight vibration I get from time to time no.

I use a RAM mount that has 2 mounting holes on it and a 4" extension to the GPS. I don't see any vibration at all. The only problem I have is sun reflection. It's especially hard to see in the sun when wearing a tinted face shield.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

I positioned mine to the left of center of the dash and found it better positioned then exact center.
    HokieV

2015 RTS Intense Red Pearl (New Jan. 2016) - Comfort Heated Seat w/Backrest, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, superbrightled.com Brake Light Strobe, TricLED fender lights w/Blinker Module & Turn Signal Strips, Stebel Nautilus Horn, FOBO TPMS, Spydercuff, Dual USB outlet, Bike Barn.

Previous - 2011 RT Limited.