Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear Fender Vibration = Vanishing License Plate

When I lost the first one, I thought that since all the hardware was missing, that it was license plate/inspection sticker theft. Next, one day I noticed the license plate light unit missing. I replaced it. Then, I lost a second license plate. Now, I thought it was caused by the inspection sticker frame projecting down below the plate mount. To stop the flapping, I would remove the inspection sticker plate. When I lost the third plate, I drilled a hole in the center bottom of the plate to prevent the license plate flapping and cracking along the upper bolt line. So, now on my fourth plate and second plate light fixture, I heard a strange clicking noise from the rear at speed. I checked the plate, no cracks, my third, center bolt has stopped the plate vibration. But, when I looked higher, I saw a two (2) inch crack on both sides of the support frame for the rear fender. It obviously has been in the process of cracking for a long time. I have 27,000 miles on the machine. I bet the cracking started a long time ago as evidenced by the rust in the cracks. When I discussed this with the dealer, he said he had heard of many lost license plates. I wonder why they never mentioned it? When I talked to Can Am, they said it is not covered by the extended warranty, but in the interests of good will, they would replace the bracket.

So, check your rear fender support bracket early and often.

Any ideas on mitigating this problem?

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lost 7 licence plates, 3 licence plates frames and replaced 4 support frame for the rear fender in 130K miles.
    Of course, "because of the Turbo"(per brp)....
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Lost 7 licence plates, 3 licence plates frames and replaced 4 support frame for the rear fender in 130K miles.
    Of course, "because of the Turbo"(per brp)....

What a load of crap. I came home from a fairly sedate ride on the Parkway to find my tag, as well as the custom tag frame that I spent hours making, dangling precariously from the one bolt that barely remained hanging on. At the time, everything on my Spyder was stock. Turbo, my big old butt!

I have replaced the original bolts with new ones that have nuts and locking washers, and I inspect them often to make sure they are secure. So far so good, but then again, I don't ryde like the Doc.

My mods: Ed Hardy "Love Kills Slowly" graphics, custom tag frame to match graphics, Kuryakyn floorboards, Street Magic Easy Risers, Mean City Cycles seat mod, BRP Ultra Touring windshield with wind deflectors, Street FX ElectroPod lighting kit, Street FX Tire Technix motion activated wheel lights, extended parking brake lever, SpyderPops super duper foot-saving heat shield (aaahhhhh!!!)

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDuck View Post
    ... but then again, I don't ryde like the Doc.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    You da man, Doc. You da man.

My mods: Ed Hardy "Love Kills Slowly" graphics, custom tag frame to match graphics, Kuryakyn floorboards, Street Magic Easy Risers, Mean City Cycles seat mod, BRP Ultra Touring windshield with wind deflectors, Street FX ElectroPod lighting kit, Street FX Tire Technix motion activated wheel lights, extended parking brake lever, SpyderPops super duper foot-saving heat shield (aaahhhhh!!!)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Photo

Duck,

Do you have a photo of your plate mount?