Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Lamonster RTW Project- Elka Stage 5 front shocks!

As most of you know I love my Elka shocks. I was pretty happy with the stock 2011-2012 shock but the 2010 needed some help for sure and that's when I first started playing with the Elka's on the RT. I told Elka that I was setting up a new 2012 RT and I would be needing some new shocks as my old ones went with the old RT. They told me they had a brand new shock that they were just about ready to release and they wanted me to get a set and see what I thought of them. These are top of the line shocks for the guys that really want to be able to dial in their ride on slow and high speed dampening. Whats trick about these is they got away from the remote high speed dampening can and went with a piggyback reservoir that really looks great and makes for a much cleaner install. It's very easy to adjust too seeing both high speed and low speed dampening are adjusted in the same place by using a stacked valving setup.

Here's what they look like before install

As you can see they are very easy to adjust

The install is pretty simple. You jack up the Spyder and take the weight off the wheel. Remove the upper and lower shock bolts. Jack the Spyder up some more and fish the old shock out and the new shock in. Install the upper bolt and slowly lower the Spyder till you can get the lower bolt in. Tighten down the bolts and go for a ride. The whole install took me just over 30 minutes and that's with taking pics and videos. Writing this blog takes longer than installing these shocks.

Upper shock bolt

Lower shock bolt

Fish the old shock out

Fish the new shock in. Make sure the valve can is toward the rear of the Spyder.

They really look great bolted up.

It started raining right after I got these on so I wasn't able to try them out yet but by the looks of things they have taken these shocks to the next level. I'll post a ride report as soon as I can.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Wow! That's an awesome looking setup. Can't wait to hear the review. Congratulations.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

A new ELKA model? Of course, I just bought mine last week so time for a new model to come out to make me think I am missing something. LOL

Thanks for the detailed install info. Keep it coming.

Spyder Garage

Lookin gooooooood Lamont.

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Shocks

Hi Lamonster would you be interested in selling the shocks of thenew spyder and ship to Australia?
    Please
    My will reads "being of sound mind and body,
    I spent it, go make your own!"

VERY HAPPY SPYDER OWNER.

Spyder Garage

Lamont, looking good!
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wtwing15 View Post
    Hi Lamonster would you be interested in selling the shocks of thenew spyder and ship to Australia?
    Please
    Sorry buddy can't do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
    Lamont, looking good!
    You're's is still the first custom paint RT and still looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkTerry View Post
    A new ELKA model? Of course, I just bought mine last week so time for a new model to come out to make me think I am missing something. LOL

Thanks for the detailed install info. Keep it coming.
    Happens to me all the time. I'm just waiting for the new Garmin to come out now that I have the 665.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Sounds like someone (Lamont,,) is going to be in "Mod" heaven for a while this winter. The cool thing about this, is often you do a mod and it works, but isn't 100% what you wanted. Getting a fresh slate like the white LTD and all things are possible again. You get a chance to re-do what did work and improve what didn't! Oh, and major jealous of those stage 5s.

Sounds like fun to me. Congrats!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lamont, looks great. I look forward to your test rides....

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Since when has rain stopped you?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question: So how much difference have you found between #1 and "RTW"?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Does Elka have plans to make a Stage 5 for an GS/RS/RS-S?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    Does Elka have plans to make a Stage 5 for an GS/RS/RS-S?
    Yup !!!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    Yup !!!
    What's the difference?
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ll=1#post79239
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    1) The appearance of the shock has changed from a remote reservoir application to a "piggyback" shock application, making it more aesthetically pleasing for your Spyder.

2) The shock bodies are all aluminum instead of zinc coated steel, making it the lightweight and maintenance proof.

3) The adjustment cartridge that we are now using allows for more flow with less stiction, and allows more adjustability and fine tuning.

4) The newer cartridge also creates less heat because of the increase in flow.

5) The are much easier to install than the previous generation of Stage 5 shocks because of the piggyback configuration. No more hoses or hose clamps to deal with.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Awesome looking shocks . I like the clean appearance with no hoses sticking out. Nice Job Elka

pitbull

HOW DO YOU NOT JUST LOVE ELKA!!!

Spyder Garage

Lamont,

Looking to trade my Timeless Black for a 2012 White in the spring. How do you like the bright chrome front wheels??

Cougar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Question: So how much difference have you found between #1 and "RTW"?
    The fit and finish is much better than my old one for sure and it just feels tighter. I'm glad I made the switch now and I'm having a lot of fun working on it. To me it's as much fun as riding it.

Quote Originally Posted by cougar View Post
    Lamont,

Looking to trade my Timeless Black for a 2012 White in the spring. How do you like the bright chrome front wheels??

Cougar
    They look great but I wish the rear was chromed to match.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    They look great but I wish the rear was chromed to match.

All it takes is $$$.

Spyder Garage

Got my first ride with the new stage 5 shocks today and I didn't even get out of my driveway before I knew these things were great. I've tried all the Elka's now and these by far out handle them all. I made some slow speed adjustments to them and took about a 100 mile ride and the more I pushed the RT the better it liked it. I have yet to have either my RS or RT handle like this before. Not only does it take the corners better, the ride is even smoother. I can't say I really ever felt a bump in the road and when I realized that I started to watch the cars ahead of me just to make sure there were bumps in the road.

Whatever they changed in the valving works not to mention they look great and are easyer to install than the old style. If you're on the fence on these let me give you a shove off, these things are great.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Got my first ride with the new stage 5 shocks today and I didn't even get out of my driveway before I knew these things were great. I've tried all the Elka's now and these by far out handle them all. I made some slow speed adjustments to them and took about a 100 mile ride and the more I pushed the RT the better it liked it. I have yet to have either my RS or RT handle like this before. Not only does it take the corners better, the ride is even smoother. I can't say I really ever felt a bump in the road and when I realized that I started to watch the cars ahead of me just to make sure there were bumps in the road.

Whatever they changed in the valving works not to mention they look great and are easyer to install than the old style. If you're on the fence on these let me give you a shove off, these things are great.
    Lamont? Just out of curiosity and recognizing that the rider weight, size, riding style come into play, just what settings do you have on your elka's??

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lamont, I have the 2011 RT-S and after setting the shocks to 4 and adjusting my air pressures to suit my solo riding, it seems to be very good. Did you put the new Elkas on a 2010, 2011 or 2012? I am confused on which year your RT is. I am not into mods just for looks, (BR1 is beautiful like he is) but would mod for better handling. My engine performance is just fine...no need for more. Thanks.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If they work as good as they look I'm gonna have to jump off the fence!!
    But I have to ask the big "Q" HOW MUCH $$$$ ??????

Spyder Garage

Default Stage 5 price

Check out website, they are a sponsor on home page of SL. Front shocks $1795.00 and rear shock $1295.00.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BLACKSPYDER View Post
    If they work as good as they look I'm gonna have to jump off the fence!!
    But I have to ask the big "Q" HOW MUCH $$$$ ??????
    2011 RT LTD /MODS: Seal Floorboards, Elkas, SpyderPops Bump Skid and Block off plate, HMT Brake light, BajaRon's sway bar, Heim Links, Diamond R's passenger armrest, Utopia driver backrest