Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New member

Spyder Garage

Default New member

Hello, I'm new here and would like to say that I'm currently looking to surprise my wife with a spyder. I do not know anything about the Can-Am and I'm looking forward to learn from all of you.
    Right now I'm looking at a used one, have to include my beloved 1500 Vulcan Nomad on the deal so stealership will be my only option. Market is soft right now in my area for "by owner" sale.
    Thoughts are welcome! I'm looking at the most basic model for now.
    Thanks!
    H

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hiya H!
    I believe that you've found yourself in the right place. We've got a whole bunch of members in Florida, so it's probably safe to say that you don't need to go through this alone...
    Take your time in shopping... There are quite a few differences in the 2 models of Spyder... Couple that with a choice of transmissions and you'll be scratching your head in no time!
    The Spyders are a blast to ride and your wife will be thinking of you as a mix between Superman and Indiana Jones! (MAJOR Hubby points are on the line here!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Welcome
    You will find the most knowledge people on here to help. This does not include me for knowledge, however.
    I will offer this advice, read a lot here. I would not advise buying the cheap version, unless that is all you want. I did. Adding stuff, even Factory stuff can more then double the cost for that item.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the SpyderLovers family!
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Can't go wrong either way

Welcome to the forum. You will get a lot of questions answered here and some recommendations according to their interests. Just remember you can buy an RT with a lot of everything you might ever want or an RS as the more basic model and just add what you want according to your likes and budget constraints. There are several thousands of dollars between the 2 models for initial cost. Either way I think you are going to be very happy with the Spyder.
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Spyder Garage

Although there is a dealership in Bradenton I suggest yu not limit yourself to them for purchase.. Get a quote from Central Florida Powersports in Kissimmee, Barneys in St. Pete, and West Coast Powersports in Clearwater - at least. When I traded my Yamaha in on a 2010 RT - Central Florida beat everyone else by $2000
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

PS Victor Lima is a Spyder Owner who lives in Bradenton and I have family living there (used to live there myself) so ryde there often...
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Take your time and get the one that is right for your spouse. Don't jump on the first "cheap" one you find. There is a big difference between the RS and RTS set up. Sport vs. Touring.

You can add a lot of mods--but you will never made an RS a RTS.

I call this the "Wow I could have had a V 8" syndrome.

Good luck on your hunt and let us know what youfind.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default another new spyder owner

hello iam also a new spyder owner i signed up on here to research what eveyone was saying i brought a RSSM5 2011 silver n black i pick it up this weekend i went on a 2hr test ride didnt want to come back i ride a 2010 triumph rocket 3 roadster n yes i gave it up to be come a spyder owner no going back now wouldnt think of it!!! thanks for all the info i love this site thanks KB forever

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome. Read many of the posts and you will learn more about the Spyder than you really want to know....ha ha

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Welcome home .
    Happy Owner

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome!

Hello New Spyder owner! This is a great place for help, questions, and to meet your brother and syster ryders!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hspyder View Post
    Hello, I'm new here and would like to say that I'm currently looking to surprise my wife with a spyder. I do not know anything about the Can-Am and I'm looking forward to learn from all of you.
    Right now I'm looking at a used one, have to include my beloved 1500 Vulcan Nomad on the deal so stealership will be my only option. Market is soft right now in my area for "by owner" sale.
    Thoughts are welcome! I'm looking at the most basic model for now.
    Thanks!
    H
    Welcome hspyder and on the . If there is anything we can do to help let us know. There is a ride coming up on Saturday the 12th in Brandon,FL it's called florida c2c ride. Check out the florida site. To find out what is going on here in florida go to Forum click on it scroll down till you see the states then click on florida to see what is going on.

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cogratulations on your new Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by spyderman526 View Post
    hello iam also a new spyder owner i signed up on here to research what eveyone was saying i brought a RSSM5 2011 silver n black i pick it up this weekend i went on a 2hr test ride didnt want to come back i ride a 2010 triumph rocket 3 roadster n yes i gave it up to be come a spyder owner no going back now wouldnt think of it!!! thanks for all the info i love this site thanks KB forever

and congratulations on your new Spyder! You may want to start a new thread, because I think your getting lost with the replies to "hspyder" who is trying to decide which one to buy, an RT or an RS.
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome aboard.

Welcome aboard. Plenty of knowledge here to make your decision with. Hope you can make a decision soon and get out and ride.

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Default surprise my wife with a spyder.......

Don't buy the wrong one to start out. Cheap and basic isn't always the best way to go. Does your wife enjoy riding a cycle , past riding experience ? Didn't mention your age...makes a difference on what type you buy . Big difference between the RS and RT models , not only in cost but riding comfort. Unless shes seen or ridden on one before I don't think I'd surprise her. My wife said no to a spyder because she didn't like the looks ( RS ) , but she had never seen an RT which she really liked after we visited a dealer....guess which model we bought ? We had a goldwing trike before the spyder. I really think you'll enjopy your spyder when you buy it and " learn " to ride it .Best to really decide what type of riding you want to do , touring or sport riding and then make it a joint decision. Buy the wrong one and you'll more than likely end up being a solo rider and that will take all the fun out of it. Take test rides on both models .

Good luck on your model choice and options and again , welcome to the web of the spyder.

Spyder Garage

Test drive both an RS and an RT. After I did this it narrowed my choice to which RT model. We purchased to tour the country on it, other who want a sportier ride obviously would choose the RS model. Really depends on your needs and desires.
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Welcome to the SpyderHood

Teddy suggests that if your interested in comfort, bells & whistles, storage for long distance touring & designed for towing a trailer or in our case, a camper that you look into the RT line

Spyder Garage

's....you have found the best site on the web.

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

Default Get the RT!

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Take your time and get the one that is right for your spouse. Don't jump on the first "cheap" one you find. There is a big difference between the RS and RTS set up. Sport vs. Touring.

You can add a lot of mods--but you will never made an RS a RTS.

I call this the "Wow I could have had a V 8" syndrome.

Good luck on your hunt and let us know what youfind.
    I could have had a V8 is the best description I've seen. It is absolutely true. Please don't buy on price. The RT was picked by my wife (hated the RS), We have driven the RT over 5500 miles in the last 5 months. Very pleased. Good Luck

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all replies folks. Lots of PMs and suggestions. You guys rock!
    Still searching and learning...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by hspyder View Post
    Thanks to all replies folks. Lots of PMs and suggestions. You guys rock!
    Still searching and learning...
    When all else fails(ie the dealers offers) try looking in the FOR SALE forum in this site. Get what you want used but still good. some of the sales are practically brand new. Check it out. Worht the looky see.

Spyder Garage

Default SporterSpider

Welcome, I purchased a 2010 RS SE5 just a couple of months ago and now have 2600 + miles on it and really enjoy the ride but, after taking a few 200 to 300 mile trips I am considering either trading the RS and, selling my Sportster to purchase an RT. Happy Spyder Owner!