Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gerbings / Powerlet Mount on RT??

I put the standard Gerbings pigtail under the seat of Squirrel's RT. Not sure if I like this setup. Looks like it'd be easy to pinch or damage the harness.

I'm thinking either the Powerlet or Panel-mount receptical would work.. mounted somewhere up where it's easily accessable. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/3867/591/
    http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/6205/591/

I'm hoping someone's done this and can give a description of where they mounted it... and possibly post a picture or two.
    Last edited by millers1; 10-27-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

I mounted my Powerlets in the front speaker grills of my 2011 RT. I also have one in the hole in the rear left panel behind the passenger grab bar, where the Passenger comm port would mount with a CB sytem. The speaker grill is a pretty simple location to use. The grills pop out, and wiring access is easy. I mounted the Powerlets in the glovebox Y-panel on my 2010, and that is a difficult and tricky installation. BTW, if you use the Grebing outlet kit, you will also need a coax extension cable, because the harness they proved (just like the one you have now) is not long enough. I used a Gerbing outlet temporarily, but it is flimsier than the Powerlets, so I switched it to the rear outlet position, and use the sturdier Powerlets up front. Sorry, I don't have any good pictures.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by millers1 View Post
    I put the standard Gerbings pigtail under the seat of Squirrel's RT. Not sure if I like this setup. Looks like it'd be easy to pinch or damage the harness.
    Underneath the passenger's left-hand heated grip, towards the back, is a push-out blank of the right diameter to mount a power socket. According to BRP the blank is provided for some type of audio input but it also lends itself ideally for an out-of-the-way connection to the battery.

I pushed out the blank and mounted a power socket there for the purpose of keeping a C-Tek battery charger/monitor connected to the Spyder permanently when it is in the garage. Couldn't be better. I don't have a photo of the installation at the moment but there really isn't much to see, just the socket's flip-up cover which keeps the inside of the socket dry when it rains. I connected the socket directly to the battery through a 10 amp in-line fuse.
    Last edited by GeoffCee; 10-28-2011 at 11:20 AM.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Default Gerbing power outlets

Yes, the Gerbing outlets are flimsy, but take up almost no room. I have one just behind my left leg position. It's there, because I clip the controller to my pants or jacket pocket, tucking the short wires under my jacket and that eliminates a bunch of wires flopping around. I was going to put my wife's outlet just behind it, but I'll have to check about that push out. I'm always afraid to push on something like that - With my luck it would release the rear Spyder plastic stuff and I'd have an instant Sportster.
    Are you all grounding directly to the battery or using something else? Info would ease my mind.
    Thanks
    Tuck

Spyder Garage

I installed the powerlet with the spring loaded cover on a pigtail inside the the left midpanel (oil) acccess panel. When I want to use it for my heated vest, I pull it out and then re-close the panel. When I'm done, I reverse the process and the powerlet is hidden away for a nice clean look. No drilling, no cutting, no messy pots or pans.........................
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TuckMiddle View Post
    I was going to put my wife's outlet just behind it, but I'll have to check about that push out. I'm always afraid to push on something like that - With my luck it would release the rear Spyder plastic stuff and I'd have an instant Sportster.
    I took some photos of the socket installed. It's an easy job to do and near to the battery, too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TuckMiddle View Post
    .....Are you all grounding directly to the battery or using something else? Info would ease my mind.
    Thanks
    Tuck
    I grounded the outlets through the auxiliary fuse block (3CS) on my Spyder, and an auxiliary ground block on Nancy's. My fuse block is grounded at the battery, and Nancy's is grounded directly to the front main frame ground.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

TuckMiddle: For my Gerbing ground wire, I simply drilled a small hole in the metal center frame and put a screw in it. Make sure its not going to be under a seat buffer or be touched by any part of the seat. I attached the hot wire to that terminal that sticks up with the red plastic cover. I dont ride double so when i want to use the Gerbing I simply pull the red wire out a few inches in the front of the seat. Easy to tuck back under when not needed.

I used an extra Gerbing male wire to attach to my battery tender so its easy to plug into the above to keep the battery fully charged.
    Last edited by ulflyer; 10-30-2011 at 06:12 AM.

Spyder Garage

When I ran the Gerbing outlet in my front speaker grill, before I switched to the Powerlets, I ran the harness up under the bodywork to come out near the void at the front of the seat above the gas tank and under the frame at the rear of the glovebox. I secured it with zipties. When not connected to the outlet it was easy to tuck into that void, and pull out at the front of the seat to attach to my heated gear.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!