Spyder Garage

Unhappy BATTERY PROBLEMS

Phyllis from VT. I have already had one defective battery replaced and now today (a gorgeous day) my battery is dead again. Has anyone had this problem.
    Does it have to be on a trickle charge if your not riding.
    Last edited by Phyllis; 10-24-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Not a trickle charger, but use a battery tender between rydes and you shouldn't have this problem again. If you do, then it's something more serious and your dealer will ned to check out the electrical system. Also be sure that everything going to and from the battery is nice and tight. Good luck.
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Spyder Garage

From my recollection of an article in MCN I read years ago...

A new battery should be fully charged before first use. A multi-step charger is best to get the full charge. If not fully charged before first use, it'll only hold about 70% of it's rated capacity even when fully charged. Some dealers will only charge it enough to get the Spyder started and then let the Spyder's charging system do the rest as you ride it off into the wild blue yonder. This method won't get the battery fully charged & will prevent it from ever taking a full charge.

I know this doesn't help your current issue, and I cannot help there, but it is something to consider the next time you get a new battery.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Don't rush to assume you have a bad battery. Loose or dirty connections at the battery, or a loose connection at the rear frame ground (negative jumper terminal under the seat), will prevent a full charge. Added accessories, humid surroundings, or dirty battery cables/connections can also slowly drain a battery. The battery should stay up between rides, but a Battery Tender assures it if the Spyder sits idle for weeks at a time.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

with what Phil and Scotty said. Good battery maintenance starts with clean, tight connections. Clean not only means around the terminals/nuts but between the terminals and posts as well. And a proper full charge on new batteries is a must.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

I had to take my RT-S into the dealer for problems unrelated to my battery or charging system (bad O2 sensor) but was told my battery charge was low. My husband kindly pointed out to me that I do tend to turn the bike on without starting it and leave it for a bit before I do, and that this drains the battery. I now do not turn on the bike until I'm sure I am also going to be starting it. Just a thought.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It would be interesting to know what the current draw is on a sitting Spyder. Like most modern vehicles, the Spyder normally draws a certain amount of current while sitting but I can't find it in any literature and I don't have a milliameter sensitive enough to read it. It would be easy enough to calculate how long the battery should hold enough charge to start the Spyder if you know the amp-hours of the battery and the current draw. Given a pretty sophisticated computer system with memory to maintain and a relatively small battery, I expect the normal current draw is enough to run the battery down quicker than we might think. If anyone knows what the current draw is, I'd sure like to know.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Not sure either. But one thing I do know. If the battery case is dirty it will draw down power from the battery. Especially if the dirt is damp. I have the hardest time convincing my customers to keep the battery case clean and dry. You can actually take a volt meter and measure the current across the dirty case.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Not sure either. But one thing I do know. If the battery case is dirty it will draw down power from the battery. Especially if the dirt is damp. I have the hardest time convincing my customers to keep the battery case clean and dry. You can actually take a volt meter and measure the current across the dirty case.
    You're right about that. I spent 30 years with GTE and one of our routine maintenance items was cleaning battery cases. Few people realize that their telephone system actually is powered by really large batteries that are kept on a constant trickle charge.

Cotton