Spyder Garage

Default Information on paint for the Spyders

We have a Lava Bronze '12 RT on order for my wife. Rather than buy another 622 trailer to match the new Spyder we decided to have her current blue one painted. The Lava Bronze Spyder isn't here yet but I have been trying to get a paint code so I can get the trailer done before the new machine gets here.

Today I discovered that the Spyders are painted with water-based paint and the body shop that gave me the best price on painting the trailer isn't set up for water based paint. In fact, there is only one shop in our area that is, and they are very expensive. The paint guy tells me that Canada has almost completely eliminated anything but water based paints due to federal environmental regulations.

So, it appears that buying the paint from a dealer isn't going to work for us unless we want to go the expensive route.

Another option is to leave the new roadster with a paint shop for a while and let them try to color match it with a custom mix.

Has anyone had any experience with this approach?
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PAINT MATCHING

I have had pretty good luck with this especially when the the painted parts are not actually touching each other. Most auto parts shops that sell auto paint have a spectrographic ? type device that will analize the paint you have and color match it. They can come very very close to exact. Go and shop around talk to them see if that's how you might want to go. Mike

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Had a fellow employee back into 09, scratching up the frunk.
    The paint shop matched the color perfectly.
    They match paint colors all the time.
    In my case I know they used the water based variety.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series