Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    Agreed...however BRP has an office full of engineers and invest a HUGE amount of money in R&D. Many of the small aftermarket parts companies don't have that luxury, and many times the public end up becoming the R&D department.

All I am saying is to give a little more leeway and patience when dealing with the small folks. It helps the local economy grow.
    I may be the only one to think this; but, when I pay for a product, I'm not the R&D dept. for the co. I am buying from. Now, if they want me to test their product and not pay for it or give a reduced price, then I'll be their R&D.

But, getting back to your other statement of giving a little leeway. To me, I don't care whether they are a big or small co.; I'll give both equal leeway. I don't believe a smaller co. should get anymore leeway than a big co.

Spyder Garage

Default Yay Rivco!

A rep from Rivco just called me in response to my email and photos. Based on that info, they're sending me a replacement pad, plate and mount assembly for my left footboard at no charge.

She said they were very appreciative to receive all the photos detailing what happened. Interestingly enough, I'm the *second* person to report a problem: just two days ago, someone else reported a similarly torn rubber mount on their Spyder floorboard (don't know which side). They had damage on the bottom part of only one of the four mounts (the part of the mount that connects below to the floorboard, not above to the top plate). She said my floorboard featured far greater damage than the other owner's; however, both incidents were reported to their R&D department.

Thus, the good news: great company, very responsive, and fantastic customer service.

The bad news? In my opinion, an otherwise great set of floorboards may (MAY) have a design problem... I guess we'll have to see if any other owners ever have an issue with it.

(In fairness to our small businesses out there, I don't want to scare away people from a great company-- but I can only report the facts that I have).
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

arntufun

The only other thing I would like to add to this thread is, awesome input from everyone without flameing. This is how all threads should be. Great job everyone !!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    The only other thing I would like to add to this thread is, awesome input from everyone without flameing. This is how all threads should be. Great job everyone !!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    You know, that's something else I've considered-- that it's less my riding style and more using the floorboard to mount/dismount the Spyder (seeing as I always mount from the left-- old habits and all-- that could explain my trouble with the left board). I'll try to switch back to the pegs, but that brings in a whole other issue-- the Rivco set replaces the stock pegs with shorter "sport pegs" that are obviously harder to use to mount/dismount.

Experiments to come!
    I also have the Rivcos but hated the short pegs. I found that Harley pegs will fit in the space where the shorty ones were with the help of one or two 7/8ths in washers. They work great and I use the pegs for getting on and off.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I read your problems and comments with great interest.
    With respect may I offer this:......
    As an ex mechanical engineer and having worked with vibration isolation systems in industrial piping I can see at least one cure for your problem of possible over rotation of the top plate relative to the bottom plate.
    But it involves some welding: two lengths of stainless steel rod about 1/4" dia. welded at right angles to the underside of the top plate that would pass through two clearance holes drilled in the bottom plate. These would provide better rotational restraint without limiting the functionality of the assembly as a whole.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldandgrouchy View Post
    I also have the Rivcos but hated the short pegs. I found that Harley pegs will fit in the space where the shorty ones were with the help of one or two 7/8ths in washers. They work great and I use the pegs for getting on and off.
    Do you have a link to what you used, maybe even a photo? I'm curious...

I actually like the short pegs, more than I thought I would, they stay out of the way when your feet are on the boards. The problem with them is the aforementioned standing on the pegs to mount the Spyder (your really can't, not easily), and the boards themselves are so freakin' useful for riding that I don't like keeping my feet up on the pegs unless I have to. I'll keep it up on the right peg in traffic when I know I have to reach the brake quickly, but otherwise I've found that keeping my feet on the boards DRAMATICALLY improves my routine riding. Still want to get on the pegs for high speed twisties, but in routine riding, having my feet lower and a better grip on the tank with my legs really makes cornering a breeze... so much so that I'm kind of shock that floorboards of some kind aren't *factory* on the Spyder, they make such a huge difference in how it handles.

Really, the short pegs are functional, but the longer pegs are better for the twisties, giving you a longer peg to "push off" of in turns. But I found it easier to just push off of the floorboards instead. Of course, that's probably what caused this problem I spent a whole thread complaining about .
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

One thing I think we have proven many times over, everyone has an opinion!

There are some who think running a small business is a piece of cake, you just sit back and wait for the register to overflow. I suppose people have tried that approach but they don't last long.

And I agree, no one want's to be R&D for anything. But the fact is, there isn't any way for a product to be completely tested before release. Sometimes the smartest people miss the simplest things.

In reality, we are all performing R&D service (whether we want to or not) for every product we have ever purchased (or ever will purchase). It isn't necessarily by design, it's just reality.

Add to this that a product that is perfect for 1 customer can 'Suck' for another. It's just the nature of diversity and variation in expectation.

A good product requires a good combination of people working together. Even the mouse trap has been improved upon over the years.

Think about it.... Who has done more R&D on the Spyder? A few dozen BRP riders over a few thousand miles, or thousands of owners over hundreds of thousands of miles? It takes both to make the product work.

I always appreciate a customer that will give me a shot at making things right. If I fail, then they have the rest of their life to flame me. Success is when the product satisfies the customer. As much as I try, that doesn't always happen the first time out of the gate.

We've got some great sponsors here at SpyderLovers offering great service and great products. It doesn't mean we shouldn't call it like we see it. But sometimes it's better to let the hand to play out before we call it.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-20-2011 at 09:31 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

I agree that the forums are a great place for information exchange but I am sure that there are manufacturers out there that would love to be given the opportunity to respond first. Regarding this thread you started the title with "Warning..Rivco floorboards". If I didn't read the whole thread I may be inclined to assume there was a serious issue and avoid the product. Clearly they have stepped to the plate and will take care of the fix and I feel your post could have waited until the entire story was told. Too many here jump all over manufacturers with the feeling they are out to screw us. I have found with some patience and co-operation most will do the right thing...just give them a chance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcspyder View Post
    I agree that the forums are a great place for information exchange but I am sure that there are manufacturers out there that would love to be given the opportunity to respond first. Regarding this thread you started the title with "Warning..Rivco floorboards". If I didn't read the whole thread I may be inclined to assume there was a serious issue and avoid the product. Clearly they have stepped to the plate and will take care of the fix and I feel your post could have waited until the entire story was told. Too many here jump all over manufacturers with the feeling they are out to screw us. I have found with some patience and co-operation most will do the right thing...just give them a chance.
    Okay... now here's where I must respectfully disagree.

My product BROKE. It broke from what I can only assume is normal, if spirited, use within ONE month of installation and 1,000 miles of riding. I paid $350 for this newly-developed product, just released this summer. When something breaks under those circumstances, I'm within my rights to bring it to the attention of other Spyder owners. Perhaps I could have chosen "Alert" instead of "Warning," but I'm not going to take up a federal case over my word choice here. It should be a fair assumption that interested readers will read the entire thread and not form permanent judgments based on a headline alone.

My words above speak for themselves, at no point did I "jump" over the manufacturer, nor do I feel they are out to screw us. I did not, and do not, believe the product that I purchased was shoddy in any way, but clearly, IT BROKE. First and foremost, my obligation is to determine why that was, and part of that obligation is seeing if other owners of the product here on Spyderlovers had their own feedback, i.e. has this happened before and no one else has mentioned it? Had someone before me already spoken to Rivco about this? If so, what did *they* learn? I'm exchanging information, that's all.

Again, at no point did I criticize Rivco beyond the most rudimentary speculation, and I clearly stated that I was going to contact them, which I did, and my problem was, for now, satisfactorily resolved. To a point-- they can only replace what broke, but obviously, there's no guarantee that it won't break on me again. Without knowing whether *I* was doing something wrong, which is again why I put the post here in the best Spyder forum on the net, I'm obviously concerned that my $350 investment could be for naught. Getting a company to keep sending me replacement parts every 1,000 miles is the sign of great customer service... but would anyone agree that's a good *product*? THAT'S my worry here.

Here's the bottom line: I support our manufacturers with my business (often *repeat* business-- I also own Rivco's highway pegs and passenger floorboards as well), and I support them with my fair praise, if deserved. Beyond that, I'm under no obligation to market their products, let alone assume "Golly, gee shucks, I'm so unlucky" when an expensive product they sell clearly failed the test of basic use.

Again, I don't care about what Rivco could do to fix MY problem (they did, thankfully, and I praised them for it), I care what they do to fix THE problem (if, again, if there even is one), so other owners don't experience it.

Sheesh. I'm inclined that next time something I spend several hundred dollars on something that breaks, I'll keep it to myself, and let some other Spyder owner stumble blindly into an identical issue until I get permission from a company to talk about it in public...
    Last edited by daveinva; 10-20-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Unfortunately things break. It happens. The internet has changed the way we do business and I think that some people (maybe not you..I'm just sayin') choose to go to the internet first rather than call the company and deal with them directly, and that is unfortunate. It is in everyone's best interest to deal with the problem with the dealer/manufacturer and if unsatisfied look for other avenues of relief. One such choice may be to share your frustration with forum users. BRP and the Spyder have gone through quite a learning curve and many here provided sensible answers to difficult problems. Some chose to rip on BRP and demand a perfect product. Won't happen. I did not mean to include you in that group and I apologize if I did. My point was that there was only a day or so between your original post and the resolution from Rivco. I would have waited to hear from them and then post the entire story. You would still be able to caution about the possibility of the floorboard to come apart and also a potential fix. Again, sorry if I offended you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcspyder View Post
    Unfortunately things break. It happens. The internet has changed the way we do business and I think that some people (maybe not you..I'm just sayin') choose to go to the internet first rather than call the company and deal with them directly, and that is unfortunate. It is in everyone's best interest to deal with the problem with the dealer/manufacturer and if unsatisfied look for other avenues of relief. One such choice may be to share your frustration with forum users. BRP and the Spyder have gone through quite a learning curve and many here provided sensible answers to difficult problems. Some chose to rip on BRP and demand a perfect product. Won't happen. I did not mean to include you in that group and I apologize if I did. My point was that there was only a day or so between your original post and the resolution from Rivco. I would have waited to hear from them and then post the entire story. You would still be able to caution about the possibility of the floorboard to come apart and also a potential fix. Again, sorry if I offended you.
    No offense taken, friendly difference of opinion, that's all. Safe riding!

Spyder Garage

BajaRon,

I guess the point I was trying to make was lost. I was responding to Trooper b/c he made it sound like small businesses shouldn't be held to the same standards as large businesses in regards to product development/R&D. I know that most products need tweaking once released. It just sounded to me that he was saying it was okay to release the product early and let the rest of the R&D be completed in the field b/c small businesses don't have the money to spend on R&D.

In my previous life I was involved in product development for a large air conditioning co.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    BajaRon,

I guess the point I was trying to make was lost. I was responding to Trooper b/c he made it sound like small businesses shouldn't be held to the same standards as large businesses in regards to product development/R&D. I know that most products need tweaking once released. It just sounded to me that he was saying it was okay to release the product early and let the rest of the R&D be completed in the field b/c small businesses don't have the money to spend on R&D.

In my previous life I was involved in product development for a large air conditioning co.
    I can certainly understand how my post could have been interpreted as I go back and read it, but the intent of the message was along the lines of what Baja Ron stated. No matter the amount of time of money spent on R&D, sometimes small bugs will arise. Baja Ron just had a better way of expressing it than I. Thanks Ron.

I am sure your first generation of air conditioners were not perfect, and its only once they hit the market that you realised from customer feedback that some things needed to be improved...and it is completely normal. As a consumer, I am not happy either when I spend my hard earned money on something and it breaks soon after it is purchased, but we then have a choice in how we are going to deal with the problem.

I hate to say it, but our Spyder shocks were not perfect either when the first generations came out, but we worked with the best people in the business.....you, the consumers....to iron them out to where they are today. Without the feedback from this community, we would not be anywhere close to where we are, and for Lamont and this forum in general, I will be forever grateful.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Sheesh. I'm inclined that next time something I spend several hundred dollars on something that breaks, I'll keep it to myself, and let some other Spyder owner stumble blindly into an identical issue until I get permission from a company to talk about it in public...
    Please don't do that. Sometimes companies need tough love to get bugs fixed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The nice thing about RIVCO floorboards is that if you can't fix the rubber pad, any Harley or Kuryakyn floorboards will fit. My wife and I have been using the Harley boards for three years with no problems. Also, it is just possible that there was just a fault with the one rubber pad. This happens occasonally even with the best most expensive products.

Spyder Garage

I've spent most of my life working with companies that had issues with products after they released them to the public. This has resulted in better products and a good working relation with these companies. The first big company I did this with was Powcon who later got bought out by Miller Electric. I won't go into all the details but by me working with them in the background I was able to travel all over the country on their dime, do welding shows for them that I never would have had the chance to do and receive well over $50,000 in free product for me to test for them. To this day if I call them up looking at a new welder they would just send one out to me. What started it all was a $3000.00 plasma cutter I purchased for a big stainless job I had and in the field it had some major issues, I didn't pitch a fit or demand my money back, I just worked with the company to help figure out the problem so the next guy wouldn't have those issues. After that project I moved on to help develop a synergic pulse inverter welder that is still being used and sold today. I can't tell you how many lemons in my life have turned into lemonade.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I've spent most of my life working with companies that had issues with products after they released them to the public. This has resulted in better products and a good working relation with these companies. The first big company I did this with was Powcon who later got bought out by Miller Electric. I won't go into all the details but by me working with them in the background I was able to travel all over the country on their dime, do welding shows for them that I never would have had the chance to do and receive well over $50,000 in free product for me to test for them. To this day if I call them up looking at a new welder they would just send one out to me. What started it all was a $3000.00 plasma cutter I purchased for a big stainless job I had and in the field it had some major issues, I didn't pitch a fit or demand my money back, I just worked with the company to help figure out the problem so the next guy wouldn't have those issues. After that project I moved on to help develop a synergic pulse inverter welder that is still being used and sold today. I can't tell you how many lemons in my life have turned into lemonade.

Exactly! Good companies appreciate knowledgable customers that are willing to work with them to improve the product. It's a win-win for both sides. I think people have a sour taste in their mouth from a product or business that was in it for the quick buck and couldn't care less about anything but the money.

When I have something go wrong with my eBay sales it is very common for the customer to assume I am deliberately trying to rip them off. I guess I don't blame them because they don't know me and they have probably been ripped off before. I think I may be catching all the pent up anger from a previous transaction plus the aggravation from whatever went wrong this time.

But working out the kinks, whenever possible, is always the best way to go. Some people make a living at it!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=daveinva;383532]Do you have a link to what you used, maybe even a photo?

Originally Posted by Oldandgrouchy

I don't have a link but any Harley or Kuryackin (sorry I can't spell the darn name) pegs should work that were made for the Harley Sportster. I just had an extra set left over from my last two wheel bike and they fit pretty well. Just needed a few washers, two on the left and three on the right side due to casting differences in the mounts. Also of note is that any Harley or that other company that I cant spell floorboards that look like the Rivco boards will fit the upper plate as well.

Rivco makes a great well made product but I can see on mine where the upper material is a bit thin on some of the mounting wiggly things. I would still give a strong endorsement to anyone looking for floorboards of this type.

And as far as customers doing product research for a small company, why not? As long as the company responds with a new or improved version at no charge to the customer I don't mind. That's half the fun of owning a motorcycle, try to improve and fiddle with stuff. I had a K75 BMW sport tourer that was just about perfect, I hated it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I may be the only one to think this; but, when I pay for a product, I'm not the R&D dept. for the co. I am buying from. Now, if they want me to test their product and not pay for it or give a reduced price, then I'll be their R&D.

But, getting back to your other statement of giving a little leeway. To me, I don't care whether they are a big or small co.; I'll give both equal leeway. I don't believe a smaller co. should get anymore leeway than a big co.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Actually, I think it would be really liberating to have a problem with a product, stomp around like a child in public and then have the company fix everything so well that I look like an idiot with a stupid grin from ear to ear. Then everyone can see how well they take care of their customers right?

Small businesses today have it rough. Consumers today just... consume. Patience is stunted at birth. By 20 they may have developed enough patience to pour an entire cup of coffee... but I'm guessing in the next few years coffee will come pre-made in bottles with pop-tops.

Customer service to them means "Read my mind and give it to me before I want it."

Wait... I sound like an old man... maybe that birthday I tried to ignore DID change something...

I can't tell you how many lemons in my life have turned into lemonade.
    Or fill the lemons with Tannerite and watch them EXPLODE when you shoot them.

Nope, not productive at all, but it sure is a fun way to improve lemons!

Nope, still a child at heart!
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!