Spyder Garage

Default Howling coming from rear wheel well

OK...so I've pinpointed where this weird sound is coming from. And it only happens after my Spyder has warmed up a bit. Then it's like clockwork. There is a definite "Howl"....almost a whine or a cry coming from my rear tire--and it seems like it's happening inside the wheel well (or casing or whatever you want to call it). I can literally drive in circles and every time the wheel passes through a certain part it makes that cry...almost like a rub...close to the sound a wine glass makes when you rub a finger around the top of it.

Anybody else had this? It's really bad when I'm braking, but it will make the sound without the brakes at low speeds. I'm about ready to take it in and have it looked at, but I'm not under warranty and I just know it's going to cost a fortune.

Any advice is appreciated. I was wanting to go on a nice ride this weekend and now I'm a little worried to.

Thanks,
    --ABQ

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HOwling

Just a thought, could your pads be dragging ? If take it for a short spin and manage not to brake ( I know hard to do) touch your rotor ( be careful) it may be hot ,if it is you are probably dragging your pads. Or jack up the frame and spin the rear wheel do you hear anything ? Every bit of info helps.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQ_Spyderman View Post
    OK...so I've pinpointed where this weird sound is coming from. And it only happens after my Spyder has warmed up a bit. Then it's like clockwork. There is a definite "Howl"....almost a whine or a cry coming from my rear tire--and it seems like it's happening inside the wheel well (or casing or whatever you want to call it). I can literally drive in circles and every time the wheel passes through a certain part it makes that cry...almost like a rub...close to the sound a wine glass makes when you rub a finger around the top of it.

Anybody else had this? It's really bad when I'm braking, but it will make the sound without the brakes at low speeds. I'm about ready to take it in and have it looked at, but I'm not under warranty and I just know it's going to cost a fortune.

Any advice is appreciated. I was wanting to go on a nice ride this weekend and now I'm a little worried to.

Thanks,
    --ABQ
    Check the belt and make sure it's not hard [rubbing] against the rear sprocket flange, if it is that might be the problem.

Spyder Garage

Can I use my SUV's jack for my Spyder or do I have to go buy an ATV/motorcycle jack?

Spyder Garage

A floor jack under the center of the fram will do it.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default jacking the spyder

Floor jack w/a small block works great. But in a pinch the scizzor jack from your car will too. Make sure you block the wheels though, so it doesn't move.

Spyder Garage

Thanks. I'll try it. I just don't understand why it doesn't happen until it warms up for a little bit. Weird.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool The "howl"

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Check the belt and make sure it's not hard [rubbing] against the rear sprocket flange, if it is that might be the problem.
    I complained to my dealer and they reaseardhed the problem and found that the rear "Emergency" brake was not realeasing
    fully. they called The factory and ordered a set of 3rd. generation brake pads. the sound has been much better.
    Good Luck

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks. I'll try it. I just don't understand why it doesn't happen until it warms up for a little bit. Weird.
    Heat build up, Things expand' My 08 would do the same.

Spyder Garage

My 08 RS rear tire howls all the time. Ever sense I spone the bearing in the rear sprocket. After riding and stop. I put my hand on the rear hub to see if it's hot. If it's so hot you can't hold your hand on it. I would check your bearings. I don't have any heat on my sprocket or spool after 200 miles. And it still wines and howls. The more you listen to the sounds while you ride, the more you hear. That will drive you crazzy If you have taken your rear tire off yourself maybe the belt is to tight. That will spin a bearing. Ask me how I know
    Last edited by Spyder#353; 10-19-2011 at 03:06 PM.
    Steve

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder#353 View Post
    My 08 RS rear tire howls all the time
    That would drive me NUTS!!
    Not to beat a dead horse...

But this is one of those things that I have to get fixed or I'll really just go crazy. I almost always engine brake, and even if I'm coasting in to a red light in neutral, I hear that loud howl. Everyone is checking out my bike, and then they hear that horrible sound. It's actually kind of embarassing.

I couldn't figure it out so I broke down and took it to the dealer today. I'll let you know what they say. I'm supposed to get it back sometime tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks everyone!

--ABQ

Spyder Garage

OK, I got Abigail back last night. I had them do the 12K mile service while it was there. They told me it was my rear brake that was causing the howl, and I could get the 3rd generation brake pads installed for about $80 parts + labor (rear only). So I'm seriously considering it. I'm still recovering from the $700 price tag for the 12K mile service.

--ABQ

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

OK, I got Abigail back last night. I had them do the 12K mile service while it was there. They told me it was my rear brake that was causing the howl, and I could get the 3rd generation brake pads installed for about $80 parts + labor (rear only). So I'm seriously considering it. I'm still recovering from the $700 price tag for the 12K mile service.

--ABQ
    80 bucks for one set of pads seems quite steep. I paid that for all three sets (two front sets and one rear). Changing brake pads is a fairly easy procedure. I m sure there is info on here somewhere about doing it. I did it on our 08 RS with no trouble.

Spyder Garage

Thanks--I'll keep that in mind. They said just the pads were $48.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

--ABQ
    Seems high But i think if your going to Gen3 brakes you should change the front also.

Spyder Garage

Seems high But i think if your going to Gen3 brakes you should change the front also.
    Why the fronts too? They're not squealing. They want $98 for parts alone for the front brakes!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Why the fronts too? They're not squealing. They want $98 for parts alone for the front brakes!
    I can't comment about price, Some dealers charge what ever the traffic will bare.

As far as brakes go, Just me mind you, I feel better [safer] when there changed in full sets.
    Now if you only have a few miles on the fronts then just do the rear.

Spyder Garage

I can't comment about price, Some dealers charge what ever the traffic will bare.

As far as brakes go, Just me mind you, I feel better [safer] when there changed in full sets.
    Now if you only have a few miles on the fronts then just do the rear.
    I hear ya. But after dropping about $900 the last 2 weeks, I'm kinda looking for the cheap way out here. We shall see!

Thanks!

--ABQ

Spyder Garage

I'm still recovering from the $700 price tag for the 12K mile service.

--ABQ[/QUOTE]
    Welcome to the club.
    Steve