Spyder Garage

Default Re-Keying the RT622

Thanks to a great SpyderLover friend, I am the proud owner of an RT622. I'm having fun (again) adding some lighting mods (pics to come in a few weeks). Now, I need to get it rekeyed to match the bike.

Is it-
    (A) The dealer
    (b) A locksmith

I THINK I can get the unit removed from the trailer and take it to whichever, if necessary, but I'd rather not.

Spyder Garage

I don't know if a locksmith could rekey the cylinder or not. I believe if you buy one from BRP you will have to buy the entire set, and replace the cylinder and all the keys, plus reprogram your keys and ignition (security module). I could be wrong, though. I'd visit a locksmith first, and see what he says, then go to the dealer if that fails.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Re-Keying

Phil,
    You need to buy the key from the dealer then take it to the locksmith for cutting. Take back to the
    dealer to connect the computer with the key. Had to do this with our RS-S because it came with only 1
    key.
    Regards,
    Reese
    2010 RT-S SE5 Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Phil, when I bought my Spyder, I received an extra lockset for use in the trailer. I did order both the Spyder & trailer at the same time, so the extra lockset may be a part of that order combination. Look around with the stuff that came with it and maybe you'll find it...
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Phil, when I bought my Spyder, I received an extra lockset for use in the trailer. I did order both the Spyder & trailer at the same time, so the extra lockset may be a part of that order combination. Look around with the stuff that came with it and maybe you'll find it...
    Good thinking! I would have the dealer swap out the lockset, though. If not inserted just right, it can come loose. The dealer has a TSB that can guide him through the process.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Bad on me. Everything was bought 'gently used'. The bike had 4k on it and no trailer when I got it 1yr ago. The 622 was also used (SLIGHTLY used) from a friend in McKinney. So- no match. No extra stuff. BUT.... if I can get the trunk and the trailer on the same keying... I'd be fine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Good thinking! I would have the dealer swap out the lockset, though. If not inserted just right, it can come loose. The dealer has a TSB that can guide him through the process.
    Think I'll call the dealer

Spyder Garage

My spider came with the extra Lockset for the trailer. I only bought the spider no trailer. I agree you might want to check the stuff that came with your spider.

Spyder Garage

Not sure if you have all of the paperwork that came with your Spyder but I thought ours came with a code for the key set, just for this type of issue. I believe our dealer said you can call BRP with the code and get a lock for the trailer just in case we lost the one that came with the RT-S.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Whelp, my dealer says they can't help. I may make a double check call to Cowtown for a second opinion.

After that.... Locksmith or BRP.

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Whelp, my dealer says they can't help. I may make a double check call to Cowtown for a second opinion.

????? The dealer is BRP? What a half-hearted attempt! A good dealer would have known what could and couldn't be done, at least, and advised you accordingly. Any dealer could have ordered a new lock set (and a security module if need be). The trailer Key and Barrel Kit, P/N 219400180 should be available from the dealer, but the question that they have to ask dealer tech support is whether it can be matched to the ignition lock (if you have the original key code tag). If not, a complete new set of locks (and a DESS module?) would have to be purchased.

If I were in your shoes, the first thing I would do is ask a locksmith if the lock cylinder can be recut to match the ignition key. If so, you are home free. The only trouble the locksmith may have is with the removal/insertion of the lock cylinder. If it is not done just right, it can pull out later. That will surely require drilling it out and replacing it, as many RT-622 owners have discovered.

Just a suggestion, since the trailer lock does not need the security chip, why not just get a plain key cut to match, and carry that on your Spyder key sheath? It is less bulky, at least.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Just a suggestion, since the trailer lock does not need the security chip, why not just get a plain key cut to match, and carry that on your Spyder key sheath? It is less bulky, at least.
    Agree 100% Scotty.

Phil I know having two keys really isn't what you want, but a non chip key for the 622 does seem to be the best route and far and away the less expensive route. Those folks who don't have a 622 trailer (like yours truly) just carry the one extra key. Or you could even keep the key on a ring in the glove box if you don't want to carry it.

Spyder Garage

My RT came with the trailer lock set??? I thought all RTs did.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    As far as I know they did, with or without a trailer.

Spyder Garage

Mine did as well. I am assuming that the original owner lost it or did not pass it on to you. You may want to try to contact the original owner if you can, they may still have the lock, then it can just be swapped out. If not, I would do like the others and just get a regular key for the trailer.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This is a good friend of mine. If your in the Conroe area, Im bettin he can help out. Rekeyed quite a few things for me.

http://www.allenssafeandlock.com/index.htm

Ask for the owner "Jim" and tell him LittleJohn sent you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    They do when new, but Phil bought his RT used and appears that he may not have the 622 lockset. At least that is the impression I got.

Spyder Garage

Default Re-Keying the RT-622

Phil,
    Call H and W in Marshall and see if they can help. They are a Can Am dealer.
    Reese
    2010 RT-S SE5 Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    They do when new, but Phil bought his RT used and appears that he may not have the 622 lockset. At least that is the impression I got.
    100% correct.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcantrell52 View Post
    Phil,
    Call H and W in Marshall and see if they can help. They are a Can Am dealer.
    Reese
    I may. Thx Reese

Spyder Garage

100% correct.

Hey Phil. This may be a dumb idea, but then I am known for that.

If you bought the trailer from David, is the keyset matched to his RT? If so, could you swap out your ignition switches? Then you would have the matching ignition key for the cost of a weekend tinkering in that beautiful garage you have!

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. The SpyderLover, who sold me his RT622, had a duhhhh thought. He took the Spyder coded key to a locksmith and they cut one without the electronics (of course) that fits the 622. Yes, it will also open his trunk too, but he's not concerned, and neither am I! So, I'm good to go. I'm leaving him annomous for the reason above. But he is one GREAT guy.

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. The SpyderLover, who sold me his RT622, had a duhhhh thought. He took the Spyder coded key to a locksmith and they cut one without the electronics (of course) that fits the 622. Yes, it will also open his trunk too, but he's not concerned, and neither am I! So, I'm good to go. I'm leaving him annomous for the reason above. But he is one GREAT guy.

Phil, I didn't realize you had no key at all! That will be necessary for the locksmith to remove your lock cylinder. Now that you have it in hand, I'd pay the nearest good locksmith a visit...for information if nothing else.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Phil, I didn't realize you had no key at all! That will be necessary for the locksmith to remove your lock cylinder. Now that you have it in hand, I'd pay the nearest good locksmith a visit...for information if nothing else.
    You are so full of great idears! Once I can keep my butt at home for a little while, and David gets the key to me, I will.

Spyder Garage

David is the best. Got 2 keys in the mail today. Peeeeeeeerfecto. End of this thread!