Thread: COLD AIR INTAKE

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default COLD AIR INTAKE

Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-25-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default intake

i have the fog lights installed. can i just pick it up from the intake below. use a can to funnel it.???? tks bob

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Ever since I've had my Spyder 08 RS It has showed various codes almost constantly. I decided however that they were " phanthom " codes. Two different dealers at two different times times denied I had any problems or any "codes" because they said they could not find anything in the memory banks ???? WTF..Whatever. I now no longer have "codes". I think this might be why. I connected a 3" aluminum clothes dryer duct ( $ 8.00 Home Depot ) to the right side Fog light / Air vent tube (it is a tube inside) and connected it to the rubber "snorkel" that sticks out of the OEM air box (after shortening it by 3 1/2 " ) ( this is necessary because it is too long as designed it butts up against the radiator coolant overflow tank, which in turn really restricts air flow ) ( If you have ever looked in the right side of your spyder you will know exactly what I'm talking about ) I then connected the other end of the alum. tube to the remaining stub of the rubber "snorkel". I didn't get fancy just used 12 Ga. elec. wire as a twist tye to attach both ends. I'm done at this point...... Now the air that is coming into the throttle bodies is coming from outside the engine compartment. I don't know if you have ever ridden your Spyder without the upper panels in place......I have... The air temp in the engine compartment ( even on a 75 degree day and moving ) is above 250 degree's easy.. I wish I had Put an oven thermomter in there to check it ( another time ) but seat of the Pants I could not keep my legs together because of the heat coming out......After air box Engine temps are running cooler ( as indicated by Temp guage ) the is running smoother, and NO MORE CODES......NONE since the air box. To make all this easier ( the install and later service work for anything else ) I cut the alum. tube approx. in half and inserted a leftover 14.5 oz. vegetable can ( just happens to be 2 7/8 " in dia.) and used some more elec. twist ties to keep it all together. the can in the middle facilitates removing the right side panel for any reason. The can also allows you to more or less permanently attache the outer ends to the panel and the rubber "snorkel". The 3 " alum tube is a very very close fit (which is good ) and having it in two pieces makes it sooooooooo much easier to put together. Have fun try it The thing I like best is NO DAMAGE TO THE OUTSIDE of the Spyder, you can use the stock filter or green filter or flat K & N . and this is so cheao it almost is a crime. MIKE If you try this do not cut the rubber "snorkel" while it is attached to the OEM airbox. Take the cover off , take out the air filter, reach in and pull the snorkel into the box. It will help if you drissle some dish soap onto the outside flange to lube it first. after you get it out you can cut it with an ordinary wood saw I did leave at least 1 1/2 " past the middle flange ( this is what you attach the alum. tube to. ) also if you can find something to put into each separate tube (there are two) that will stiffin them a little it will help (so you don't crush them with the wire twist tie ) Get creative. Using some more soap put the snorkel back in and attach half of the alum. tube. I did a minor relocation of the overflow tube on the radiator container no big deal I cut the fancy clamp and replaced it with a wire twist tie (this is not a pressurized tube ). I think think this covers it and it really works.. No More Codes

Spyder Garage

Where are the pictures????
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joet82 View Post
    Where are the pictures????
    Ditto 👀

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Custom stock height carbon fiber wind screen
    Lamonster " custom" Spyder trunk decal
    Tricled Super white mini bulbs
    Tricled Cat eyes
    Spyderpops missing belt guard
    Custom Spyder Decals
    Carbon wheels
    PHANTOM * many other mods done *
    *Member of the Woodstock spyder ryders *

Spyder Garage

Default air flow

please show pics of your work A threw Z so we can see how you did this PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS INTAKE THING

Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-25-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Spyder Garage

As a Cali rider I'm curious...cause the bike cooks...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default cold intake

HI first time on this thread i have a rt ltd 2011 and i would like to do the same a you did is there room to run your intake to the front off the rt and where would you place your hose around the a frames ? thanks for any info and any pictures or other threads if possible.