Spyder Garage

Default recommendation for battery minder

noticed under the seat a set of wires which have a plug on them. I think this is a location for a product called by many names, but its main purpose is to maintain the battery at a level that keeps the spyder ready to ride. If someone could suggest a quality and yet a affordable priced product I would be pleased. I have gone on line and the choice is huge, and so is the price, I thought about this site and all the good info from the bad, nothing like good experience to help out. I am now seeing that there is a great learning curve that a old two wheeler must go through before you can relax and enjoy this ride. Thanks I humble myself to the collective knowledge of this group. My first name is Fred and live in Las Vegas NV.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A battery-tender. Not a charger. There's a difference. You want a battery-tender.

Didn't know the Spyder came with "pig-tails" though. I was going to check mine to see. My Harley did. I will be putting them on the Spyder if they don't and using a tender.

Schumacher makes one you can buy at WalMart. There certainly are others. They are around the $20 mark, give or take... so no big expense -- especially compared to a battery.

They work and are the only thing you need to keep your battery conditioned against "sulfication"; which is the "killer" of batteries.

I know guys that hook their bikes up every single time they park them at home, no matter for how long.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Default battery tender

battery tender or equivalent product for sure, i've used them for years battery tender jr. for bikes and other toys. i just bought one at k mart on sale for 32 bucks, a few weeks ago. schumacher is also a good name. as long as it is a battery''maintainer''. o'reilly also sells one for about 30, i just saw recently. definately get one.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Battery tender--they cost about $30.00 at most places. I have used these for many years. Bike always starts first try after the big winter sleep.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My dealer,Velocity powersports,installed pigtails on both our when we bought them and recommended the "Battery Tender" I got 2 and use them anytime we can't ride for a day or so,makes hit easy to plugin and know the battery will be ready when we are.
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Spyder Garage

Battery Tender, Accumate, Optimate, or Xtreme are all good ones. Any good motorcycle shop should be able to supply one.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I just bought the Battery Tender 800, working nicely: http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender.../dp/B000CITKCE

I also recently got Powerlets installed in my dash, with an adapter this plugs right in, and it's waterproof so it doesn't care that I park my Spyder in the driveway.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Default Battery Tender

New owner here, first winter. I have a 2011 RT-S. Will the battery tender plug into the power outlet in the trunk? If so, does that work just as well as attaching directly to battery?

Thanks for your comments. This is a great site!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrfats View Post
    New owner here, first winter. I have a 2011 RT-S. Will the battery tender plug into the power outlet in the trunk? If so, does that work just as well as attaching directly to battery?

Thanks for your comments. This is a great site!!!
    Yes, it will plug in if you use the correct adapter. You need a cable that will connect to the battery tender on one end, and to a cigarette style outle at the other. Many chargers come with the correct adapter cable, but if not, they can be purchased separately. The rear outlet is hot all the time, so it will charge just like attaching to the battery...provided the battery connections are clean and tight.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have seven "battery tenders" hooked up to numerous vehicles. A couple are Battery Tenders by Deltron (good product) and the others are from Wal-Mart by Schumacher for $20.(also good) I have a extension plug to plug in my trunk outlet...works GREAT!

Some here do not believe in plugging in a tender and some do. I plug mine in most of the time. My scoots start. If you don't ride much in the winter, a tender is very handy. I posted the company who sells the extention plugs on another post. Works for me. I ride 365/12/7 here in South Texas, but not every day.

http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-prod...-cables/PWRCBL

To save you time, here is the company who sell all types of plugs, extensions, etc.

Last edited by Mr. White; 10-07-2011 at 08:29 AM.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.