Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Default 12,000 Mile service

It's time for my big service plus a new rear tire and those darn rear brake pads are being changed as well. My tech guy has told me he has not yet changed any shims so I am not expecting mine to be any different. It will take some time to get the valve covers off to check them though and the rear tire change as well. It should ad up to a big bill, time will tell as I am booked in for next Tuesday. Oh I almost forgot, my rear shock dampening is gone again, this will be my 4th rear shock replacement.

Spyder Garage

The general consensus is do not do valve check at 12,000. Most are waiting till 36,000 will no ill effects.

The service hours for that job will add about $800 to your bill.

I did it on my first 2008 GS, not on my 2009 RS, or 2010 RTS. My dealer also has not done this on his personal machines.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My dealer has been doing some at different Miles. So far he has note found any problem all the way to 24000 miles. He has done it to engines that he has had to open or that the customer insists on checking the valves.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The tech guy mentioned it to me as well but I am not sure about warranty? If I insist on not checking them and I have a problem, I am in for trouble. I will mention it to him just in case he suggests that there is no need to pull the Valve covers. I know that the valve clearances are built loose so there is room for error or wear in so to speak. I'll let you know how it goes next week.

Spyder Garage

If the tech guy is using the no warranty issue to try to sell you the job--find another tech. There are some pretty good people on here that agree not to do valve adjustments that early on.

The choice falls back on you of course.

My bike is serviced every 6000 miles or so. I currently have 21,000 on my RTS--no valve check for me unless its starts running funny or 36,000 miles.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-05-2011 at 08:06 PM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

how many had valves checked at 6000 miles, or are you saying just wait until 24000 miles to get them checked.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
    how many had valves checked at 6000 miles, or are you saying just wait until 24000 miles to get them checked.
    I picked up our RT-S SE5 today after the 6000 mile service. They changed the oil and filters and checked the valve clearance. Total was $953.67 with tax and was covered by service contract. Trailering it to Florida next week for 6 months. No frozen tundra or 120 inches of snow this year.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    If the tech guy is using the no warranty issue to try to sell you the job--find another tech. There are some pretty good people on here that agree not to do valve adjustments that early on.

The choice falls back on you of course.

My bike is serviced every 6000 miles or so. I currently have 21,000 on my RTS--no valve check for me unless its starts running funny or 36,000 miles.
    I was answering another post agreeing that my tech guy said he did not think a valve check was nessasary. I was the one that mentioned warranty and said that I was OK on not taking the valve covers off yet. I am just covering my bases in case I need a warranty issue covered. I am more concerned that my plugs and air filter are serviced and I am going with Iridium plugs this time so that I can leave then in longer. The Rotax 990 is a dependable engine and valves are not an issue. I haven't heard of anyone with a burnt valve yet.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Done

Just picked up my Spyder from my 12,000 mile service. I did pretty good as I had a rear tire, and brake pads done as well. Also a 12 volt outlet added up front. Total labour charge was $620.00. Parts and Tax were extra. The valves were all within spec and none were tight. My tech guy says he had not changed a shim yet. Our Canadian labour rates are higher the the US I believe. I did my own oil change as well and will not get valves checked again for awhile. My warranty will be done by then so no issues with BRP.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

just pickedup the RTS the other day; after having "parts" of the
    12,000 mile svc. I had a couple of fluid changes, the oil & filter,
    rear axle seal inspection while the rear tire (Kumho Ecsta AST)
    was being replaced; and ended up with right at $500.00 for the bill.

the svc mgr and recent BRP school certified tech both, told me NOT
    to even consider doing the valve adjustments until 24,000; unless I
    was having some noise out of it. they both, also told me that tire
    pressures and belt tensions have changed again.

but I'm simply planning on spreading out the 12K svc items, thru
    the next couple of oil changes. more cost effective and you get
    everything on the list done. doing it ALL at one time, would run
    in the neighborhood of $1100.00 in this area. I'd need a loan to
    do that...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEW SETTINGS

Would you be so kind as to share those new settings with the rest of us. Thankyou ever so much

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Drive belt tension settings have been lower since 2010. The belt was to tight before and there were some issues so BRP lowered the tension settings. I have not heard they changed it again. My dealer has one apart because the owner did his own belt adjustment and he must have tightened it up to much. It is out of warranty and those sprocket bearings are a complete tear down to replace he said.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Would you be so kind as to share those new settings with the rest of us. Thankyou ever so much
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/spyderbu..._rev1%20en.pdf

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Trailering it to Florida next week

Quote Originally Posted by dadof4 View Post
    I picked up our RT-S SE5 today after the 6000 mile service. They changed the oil and filters and checked the valve clearance. Total was $953.67 with tax and was covered by service contract. Trailering it to Florida next week for 6 months. No frozen tundra or 120 inches of snow this year.
    What do you have for a trailer? I was just looking at several today. What is the lenth and width of your trailer. Is it a fully enclosed or open. Just looking for ideas.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My trailer was made here by a local guy, a first for a Spyder. I have a friend who bought a factory built but it was tight between the front wheels so this guy built it to my specs. I have an inch and a half on either side of the tires and chucks for the front tires. All aluminum to keep the weight down and rust away. He charged me $2400.00 to make it and it has 23 inch wheels. I have used it 4 times, once to Florida and will be loading it next week for this winter's getaway. It tows easy.