Registered Users InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Electrical Gremlins

Had to trailer the RT into the dealers after it wouldn't start. It all started after we couldn't get it to go into reverse Sunday. Another spyder noticed that our trailer lights were not working. When we arrived home I checked and discovered that a fuse had blown---the fuse controls the reverse actuator and the trailer control module. I disconnected the trailer and changed the 5A fuse and the fuse blew right away. So I decided to let it be for the moment, then discovered the engine wouldn't start.
    I charged the battery thinking that this might be the issue, but no such luck. I removed the key and walked away--returning within a few minutes to try again, but the engine light was flashing on the dash and upon pressing the mode button and then the starter the engine only turned over 1/2 a rev and that was it. I had to struggle to get it loaded and dropped it at my local dealer--Action Jetsports in Bradenton. My RT has carried me flawlessy for the past 18000 miles. I sure hope it is an easy fix so I can make Biketoberfest in Daytona in 2 weeks.
    Anyone have any similar experience???? C-YA RL
    It wasn't MEEEEE!!!!

Spyder Garage

Blown trailer module. There have been a few instances.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Scotty. That was my first thought. Now lets see if my service department listened to what I told them.
    Thanks again C-YA RL
    It wasn't MEEEEE!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default belated post

My RT has been at the dealership in Bradenton for a week now and they haven't even looked at it. How long does it take to hook up a computer and pull codes??? If there was a diagnosis then it could sit and wait for parts, but that is not the case here. Can someone advise how to get faster service on a spYder??? C-YA RL
    Last edited by InspectorGadget; 10-13-2011 at 11:55 AM.
    It wasn't MEEEEE!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default update

Thanks for the responses and the link Lamont. I have contacted BRP and the dealer finally diagnosed the problem as having a defective Trailer Light Module. Now they are telling me that BRP only warrants this item for 90 days. Can anyone advise if this is the case. It is only 6 months old and used twice--does that mean I will have to buy a new one every 6 months?? Thanks again C-YA RL
    Last edited by InspectorGadget; 10-13-2011 at 11:52 AM.
    It wasn't MEEEEE!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Another update

Finally got the spyder back from the dealer Wednesday evening. Turns out it was a defective Trailer Light Control Module, just like I told them I suspected. The dealer unplugged it and all is well with the rest of the system. He offered to order another Module and install it, but I didn't want to take a chance on him keeping the RT for another week and missing Daytona---so I just had him re-assemble the tupperware and turn it over to me. We are back on the raod and Daytona bound on Saturday. Thanks Lamont for your assistance and glad to see you made it to Daytona safely. I look forward to seeing you there. C-YA RL
    It wasn't MEEEEE!!!!

Spyder Garage

But for getting a "one day turn around", I don't know if there is a good answer. I usually call first and ask if now is a convenient time to bring it in for whatever I want done. Perhaps "smoozing" (a term that was taught me by someone) the service manager or even the owner of the dealership would help? I do know there is a BRP area representative for Flarda (and the southeast) by the name of Pat Obannon. Not sure how to get in touch with him. Elstwise, you are also at the mercy of Carlo which many have had good results.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    Thanks for the responses and the link Lamont. I have contacted BRP and the dealer finally diagnosed the problem as having a defective Trailer Light Module. Now they are telling me that BRP only warrants this item for 90 days. Can anyone advise if this is the case. It is only 6 months old and used twice--does that mean I will have to buy a new one every 6 months?? Thanks again C-YA RL
    I believe that all BRP accessories carry that same 90 day warranty...unless they were purchased with the machine and installed by the dealer prior to delivery. They have to be specifically listed on the PID acceptance sheet you signed when you picked up your Spyder. If so, they carry the same warranty as the Spyder...two years. The good news is that enough of these have failed now that they are available separately, instead of in a package with the trailer hitch. If your dealer can't find the part number, have him contact BRP.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default BRP Customer Service

So I called BRP Customer Service @ 1-888-864-2002 like my Bredenton Service Manager Dan suggested to see if they could answer the question about the defective Trailer Light Control Module. It took her a while to find it and then consult with someone else.
    Bottom line is that because the hitch was not purchased with the trailer (same invoice) and that it was not installed by an authorized Dealer---and it had past the 90 day warranty they would not do anything. Sounds like they had a way to get out of it, so they did.
    Of course they were right, but come on now, a part shouldn't go bad in 6 months dispite the fact that it cost $200.00 + installation for me to have replaced.
    Not saying good things when companys can't show a little more compassion for their best ambassadors. C-YA RL
    It wasn't MEEEEE!!!!

Spyder Garage

Exclamation Dealer support

RL,
    Sorry to hear about your abuse at the dealership. Not looking at your bike and getting codes, etc is absolutely "customer no service" as Clark Howard says every day on his consumer program on WSB.

Do those guys know who you are? They need to tailor there service after your wonderful accessories support. You responded immediately, while finishing up your vacation, to my request for some things. Great service and all the articles are on the bike and they are super.

I'd check around and try to find another dealer who will do the computer thing and what ever else is necessary to troubleshoot the problem and at least get the parts ordered. What is your dealer thinking? Repeat business is a requirement to run a succesful shop and you're not getting it there.

Good luck and I hope you get to take it to Octoberfest. If not, print up a sign or T shirt and advertise the lack of customer support you're getting from them. You can bet if it was Charles Bombardier's bike (or who ever is the big stick) they'd jump thru their buttes to do things right. You (and the rest of us too) deserve good service.

Tuck

Spyder Garage

Rant Time: Dealers who take in a and sit on it for a week or more without even looking at it--should have their authorization to sell BRP products withdrawn.

This problem is a common thread over the past year and many people have complained about this.

I would get rid of my if I had to put up with that kind of service. The dealer I have been buying from since 2001 knows how to take care of customers, makes appts., keeps them, and gets the vehicle done when promised.

I have even popped in a couple times with glitches and they were fixed on the spot with no problems.

The other dealer up here is just like yours--I have never darkened their doors and would not under any circumstances.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP/ DEALER SERVICE ?

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    So I called BRP Customer Service @ 1-888-864-2002 like my Bredenton Service Manager Dan suggested to see if they could answer the question about the defective Trailer Light Control Module. It took her a while to find it and then consult with someone else.
    Bottom line is that because the hitch was not purchased with the trailer (same invoice) and that it was not installed by an authorized Dealer---and it had past the 90 day warranty they would not do anything. Sounds like they had a way to get out of it, so they did.
    Of course they were right, but come on now, a part shouldn't go bad in 6 months dispite the fact that it cost $200.00 + installation for me to have replaced.
    Not saying good things when companys can't show a little more compassion for their best ambassadors. C-YA RL
    My [ex.] Dealer Sells ,Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, And Can Am.
    Over the years when ever i had to have work done to my Honda / Suzuki or Yamaha, I would call make a appointment hang around the showroom and in a few hours it would be ready to ride home, Then with the Spyder, It became leave it here and we'll look at it in a few days. Which ended up weeks, because of Parts on back order.
    When i asked why the slow service only with the Spyder, The only answer was BRP was very difficult to work with parts delivery, And warranty approval's

Spyder Garage

I lost my trailer module on my way to Maggie Valley. I rode around down there with no reverse for the week. When I got back took it to the dealer he found the blown module. The factory told him that they were having problems with the modules shorting out. They had a new one on order. The new one came in in September. I had brought my bike in because it had lost it's power like it was on one cylinder. The throttle slider was shot. After replacing it they took it out for a test drive and found the rear bearing race was gone. It took almost a week for the race to come in. When it was all over the bill was WARRANTY. All three items. I had them install the hitch when I bought it. The only thing they asked me was if I had used non LED lights which I hadn't. He felt bad because I had to cancel a trip to do the Blueridge Parkway. I don't know where he got the notion I would ride with bad bearings. I'm certainly not complaining about my dealer. He is the Cowtown of New England.

Spyder Garage

Default Final Word

Thanks for the response guys and sorry for the rant. I just needed to relieve some of my frustrations with the situation, and I also wanted others to be informed in case the same thing happened to them.
    I wouldn't have suspected the TLCM to be the culprit, but one of my fellow ryders had a similar problem.
    Have Fun and Ryde Safe C-YA RL
    It wasn't MEEEEE!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default The System Really Works

After contacting BRP last week via Email and explaining about the 6 mo. old Trailer Light Control Module going bad--I received a call today from BRP and they advised that they would warranty the unit even though they only provide a 90 day warranty on this item. They contacted my dealer and made arrangements for replacement, so all I have to do is schedule an appointment and take it in. Many thanks to BRP for showing compassion and being so responsive to my needs. C-YA RL
    It wasn't MEEEEE!!!!

Spyder Garage

Glad you posted this. I just installed the hitch, module, etc. this past weekend. I have pretty well taken the approach that if I install something (which I do a LOT) and something dies, it's on me. No change to that... but I AM going to make sure I have a spare module.

I think if the same thing happens to me, I'll now know to open the access to the battery, remove the trailer module from the circuit, re-plug the brake lights to the main harness, and go until I can diagnose the module.

Thanks guys.