Spyder Garage

Default Spyder newbie GPS question

I would like to add GPS to my RTS and planned on just getting the one that Can Am offers. It costs around $1,200. When i look it up on the Garmin site it (the Zumo 660) goes for $650? Besides Can Am mounting hardware, what advantage do i get from purchasing the Can Am version as opposed to buying direct from Garmin and getting a third party mount?

Spyder Garage

There's some talk about that here.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...for-Spyder-RTS

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The only diff. that I know of is that the Can Am unit has all of the BRP dealers pre-loaded in the GPS.
    Someone also claims that the voice comands will not work with the speakers on the Non-BRP unit. (I can't confirm that)
    Do a search to see if you can find more info.

Spyder Garage

We bought the Limited for all of the added features. I am not good with all of the mechanical aspects of dealing with such a complicated machine and we decided to go factory installed as much as possible. You get dealer support and warranty help if there is a problem. I realize I may spend a few extra dollars, but piece of mind is worth huge amounts and it keeps my wife off my back when something breaks.

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

See ya in Daytona, gonna have some Spyder emblems there for me? Need some for the TBRTSSE5V2. I'll take two if they are in by then.
    Last edited by SpyderDen; 10-04-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 1BLACKSPYDER View Post
    Someone also claims that the voice comands will not work with the speakers on the Non-BRP unit. (I can't confirm that)
    I can confirm that is NOT correct.
    It all depends on how you go about wiring it into the Audio system. On Teds Red Sled, we purchased the upgraded Zumo 665 (wanted the XM radio + Nav Traffic & Nav Weather) for $650 on Ebay last year. We direct wired it into the audio system of the SpYder & ALL functions work as designed and when the audio system on the SpYder is set to the AUX setting, all audio from the GPS unit, including MP3, Navigation Prompts, Weather, Traffic & if I have my cell-phone set to bluetooth, even my calls come thru the Spyders speakers LOUD & CLEAR!

All in all, it tied up about $720 and 3-4 hours of my time to install. That's close to $500 in savings and Teddy's a Happy Camper listening to his tunes & not getting lost

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I would also prefer to have the 665 version as well. Unfortunately, I'm not particularly mechanical so I'm not sure if I could handle the install myself. I am pretty proficient with home av gear but I'm not sure if that helps me much with tearing into a Spyder and tying a GPS into the system.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
    I would also prefer to have the 665 version as well. Unfortunately, I'm not particularly mechanical so I'm not sure if I could handle the install myself. I am pretty proficient with home av gear but I'm not sure if that helps me much with tearing into a Spyder and tying a GPS into the system.
    If you were going to have the dealer install the GPS anyway, you could just buy the mounting kit from BRP, purchase your own 665, and have them install it. You will probably still save money over the BRP system...especially the installed cost.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    We direct wired it into the audio system of the SpYder...
    I'd appreciate hearing where you found a way into the Spyder's audio system, it would help me big time.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

I bought a used Garmin Zumo 550, the ESI mounting system, and did the job myself for a total of roughly $500. I don't have, nor want, an intercom, so the voice commands are useless anyway. Works a treat - easy to use, and easy to update - although Garmin makes it more difficult for those of us who are MACophiles…..
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Angry

Thank goodness for this forum. I'm finding that the dealers I'm talking to don't know squat about the accessories and how they really work. I had my local dealer tell me that i could purchase the Scala Team Rider set instead of the Can Am comm set and get the Can Am GPS directions via bluetooth on the Scala. This was great since I don't care about CB and it would be more cost effective. Then i speak to another dealer who tells me that the Scala bluetooth won't work with the GPS from Can Am. They advised me to wait for an upcoming Can Am Bluetooth system. I'm so confused!

Spyder Garage

The BRP GPS is a Garmin Zumo 660, with some added accessories and features. The Zumo 660 does have bluetooth output, so it should bable to be paired with the Scala. BRP has announced no Bluetooth output, although they do have a Comm System with a GPS and cell phone interface available now. I'd believe the first dealer you talked to.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    I'd appreciate hearing where you found a way into the Spyder's audio system, it would help me big time.
    There are two possible ways to wire the GPS into the Spyder RT audio system without having to break into any harnesses .

The first is to run a 3.5 mm connection direct from the audio out of the GPS to the auxilliary audioin located in the rear trunk. If you connect this up, then you set your radio input to Auxilliary, and it's like running any MP3 player to the audio system.

The second way is to get the BRP gps cable and mount that onto the audio system and connect the adio out from your GPS to this cable. This is a bit more costly, the cable is around $70, but you have two added benefits. You don't use the auxilliary connection, so if you choose, you can still connect an MP3 player or iPOD, and the audio system specifically recognizes the GPS input and assigns the proper override priority.

Some GPS's have the audio out connection on the body of the GPS itself. The Zumo 550 has a connection on the GPS mount. The Zumo 660 has a cable connected to the mount that has the audio out at the end of a cable, so this connection can be buried inside the Spyder.

Hope this is helpful

This photo of the GPS cable is from a post by Lamont.

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I also did the math, but then bought the full kit from BRP at a discounted price, and had it installed by dealer. I love the fact that I can be listening to FM radio, IPOD or whatever, and the GPS voice breaks in and comes over loud and clear over the speakers. No need to take eyes off road and look for upcoming turns. Maybe was a few hundred more.... but no need to have audio on AUX to hear GPS.

Spyder Garage

I agree, I also do not like having to use the aux for the gps. I bought the brp harness shown above and the gps plugs into that which plugs into the bike. The GPS I did not buy from brp because they wanted too much for it. I did get the mount from Kewl Metal and I like it because there is room on the mount for my fob garage door opener below the gps. All told I spent 800 and installed it myself and it works the same as the one from brp, listen to any source you would like and the gps breaks in when needed. Then on the forums someone had the dealer info and the spyder icon that comes with the brp model so...

Willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..