Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OMG!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO MY RT?

While putting my RT away for the winter, I was attempting to disconnect the battery from under the seat. I took the nut of the Hot Post but the bike was still showing power when I turned the key. Thought the cable was still touching so I turned the key off and was moving the cable when POOHP! A spark at the post and a large cloud of Smoke from the the under the Right side. For a second, I could see a red glow thru a tupperware opening. One of the ground side cables melted. Any ideas of how badly I screwed up my baby?

John
    SealFloorBoards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That can't be good John.
    I think that you should take your baby to a dealer and let them peek up under her skirt to assess the damage...
    I hope that if the key was off it didn't throw any of that carnage into the computers...
    Please keep us posted and GOOD LUCK!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    While putting my RT away for the winter, I was attempting to disconnect the battery from under the seat. I took the nut of the Hot Post but the bike was still showing power when I turned the key. Thought the cable was still touching so I turned the key off and was moving the cable when POOHP! A spark at the post and a large cloud of Smoke from the the under the Right side. For a second, I could see a red glow thru a tupperware opening. One of the ground side cables melted. Any ideas of how badly I screwed up my baby?

John
    SealFloorBoards
    Sounds like your ground wire was touching the positive terminal of the battery. Not a great thing for the battery but other than probably destroying the ground wire, you're probably ok.

Put a charger on the battery and get it back up to 'full'. Then check voltage. If it is over 12v then you should be fine. If you want to be sure you can take it to most any autoparts (after fully charged) and they will check it for you.

I'd say you'll need to replace the ground wire and you'll need to look closely at anything the ground wire was touching. It may have melted other things as collateral damage.

Still, probably a pretty cheap fix.

I don't recommend disconnecting the battery. If you're going to leave it stored for a long time a good battery tender with an overcharge prevention circuit is a better way to go.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

John
    SealFloorBoards
    John OUCH..great news you didn't get "zapped"...bad news your baby has taken up smokin'...not good for "it's" health. Now I know why I'm not ready to stop ryding....with my non existent mechanical skills I would probably end up with a puddle of plastic on the garage floor...
    Keep us posted...
    love those sealfloorboards of your creation...one of the best mods I've added (after the cup holder of course lol)..
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    If you're going to leave it stored for a long time a good battery tender with an overcharge prevention circuit is a better way to go.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

John
    SealFloorBoards
    Correct me if I'm wrong, But the way i read your post you left the Neg- Connected, and disconnected the Pos+ post and that's the cable that hit?? The neg- should always be disconnected first.
    Last edited by boborgera; 10-04-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, But the way i read your post you left the Neg- Connected, and disconnected the Pos+ post and that's the cable that hit?? The neg- should always be disconnected first.
    Mechanics 101
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

You didn't by chance disconnect the "Jump Terminal" positive under the seat rather than going directly to the battery?

Spyder Garage

Scarry--keep us posted.

I did something similar when I was trying to install a radio in a car. Remember when radios were an option in cars?

Totally fried the radio. The pop/smoke routine is never good.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The pop/smoke routine is never good.
    In my neighborhood it's usuallly followed by a quick song and dance in the garage... The song is usually a bit "Salty"; as in sailers wouldn't use that language in a bar or in jail...
    ...And the dance usually involves kicking anything that isn't currently moving quick enough to get out of the way while singing the aforementioned song at the top of your lungs...

Spyder Garage

I agree get a battery tender I have one on mine and my battery is always charged fully. It also allows me to leave my alarm on without fear if draining my batray

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDen View Post
    You didn't by chance disconnect the "Jump Terminal" positive under the seat rather than going directly to the battery?
    Yes I did.

Spyder Garage

I always unhook the ground 1st.
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S Pure Magnesium Metallic, with SM5 transmission, Two Brothers muffler, cup holder ,clam shell ISO grips,I pod nano and chrome handlebars. Utopia backrest,chrome foot pegs, chrome passenger floor boards,chrome shifter and brake pedal,chrome windshield bracket and chrome kewlmetal highway pegs

Harleyrick

Spyder Garage

Hey Scotty, is that 40 amp master fuse (MF1) between the battery Pos terminal and the jump start post? I just looked at the schematic but can tell. If so, he may luck out.

Spyder Garage

Hey Scotty, is that 40 amp master fuse (MF1) between the battery Pos terminal and the jump start post? I just looked at the schematic but can tell. If so, he may luck out.
    The 60 amp RFB regulator/rectifier fuse protects the voltage regulator/rectifier and the jumper terminal. That is probably what smoked on the right side when he grounded the cable. The voltage regulator/rectifier could have been damaged before the fuse blew, however. This is a classic example of how much trouble you can get into when you undertake a repair or maintenance task without sufficient knowledge to do so. I'm not throwing rocks, but if anyone is not absolutely sure about what they are doing, they should get some advice or help...or pay the dealer to do the work.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys for all your feedback. I really didn't think I was doing brain surgery. I guess I learned a lesson today. Anyway, I'm leaving tomorrow for a vacation and am just going to let it sit till I return. I have said the Serenity Prayer a number of times today. It helps.

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The 60 amp RFB regulator/rectifier fuse protects the voltage regulator/rectifier and the jumper terminal. That is probably what smoked on the right side when he grounded the cable. The voltage regulator/rectifier could have been damaged before the fuse blew, however. This is a classic example of how much trouble you can get into when you undertake a repair or maintenance task without sufficient knowledge to do so. I'm not throwing rocks, but if anyone is not absolutely sure about what they are doing, they should get some advice or help...or pay the dealer to do the work.
    This is the best advice ever, believe me I live by this, I have NO PROBLEM asking questions to members if I'm stuck, it has saved me several trips to the shop because of this, oh and Scotty, you know this to be true, ha ha...

X-Joe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Some of us, aren't quite smart enough to know where to draw that line.
    I remember one night on a dark deserted road about 2:00am in the morning.....................never mind.

Spyder Garage

Some of us, aren't quite smart enough to know where to draw that line.
    I remember one night on a dark deserted road about 2:00am in the morning.....................never mind.
    That happened to you too?
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    John OUCH..great news you didn't get "zapped"...bad news your baby has taken up smokin'...not good for "it's" health. Now I know why I'm not ready to stop ryding....with my non existent mechanical skills I would probably end up with a puddle of plastic on the garage floor...
    Keep us posted...
    love those sealfloorboards of your creation...one of the best mods I've added (after the cup holder of course lol)..
    Hey there Lady Where did you get a cup holder to fit on your RT?? I am sorry this is off the subject but couldn't find a better way to get the question in... sorry.

Spyder Garage

Default Three Feet

Go to the Ram Mount site and start looking. I have the hand brake on my RT so it was easy for me. It has a 1/4" hole in it for mounting it. A reservoir cover mount might be what your looking for. They have one that fits over the stock reservoir cover.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JCSMOKE View Post
    That happened to you too?
    I never even figure out that there's a line to be crossed until I'm in the deep end and the sharks are already circling...

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Hotel California'

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFeet View Post
    Hey there Lady Where did you get a cup holder to fit on your RT?? I am sorry this is off the subject but couldn't find a better way to get the question in... sorry.
    Sent you a PM with info on cup holder. ISCI
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default cup holder

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFeet View Post

bought mine through etrailer .com put on my spyder rt and my yamaha bet cup holder i've found.