Spyder Garage

Default Automatic transmissions

Just a thought, probably not an original; the talk in this forum about wanting a fully automatic transmission for the tourer, why hasn't BRP of all manufacturers put a CVT transmission on their product. My Prius goes anywhere and does anything but tow " heavy" things. I pull a 6 x 10 open utility trailer to the transfer stations and my 400# zero turn mower to the dealer for servicing. Surely BRP has enough experience with their snow machines and ATV's to make the transition to a CVT in the Can Am platform. These are wonderfully engineered trikes and this just seems like a no brainer in this day and age.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They've got one... In their Commander line of UTVs. Maybe they wanted to keep a bit more motorcycle DNA in the mix???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I guess I'm not opposed to it as an option-- perhaps for the hybrid, if that ever actually happens?-- but like the man above me says, giving me at least a LITTLE control over my shifting keeps the blood pumping.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dave, I've been called many things in my colorful life, but "the man above" just kind of seems a bit...far-fetched??

Oh... it was just positioning on the page...

Spyder Garage

Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

I see you "men above" are in rare form this morning.

RE: transmission: I am guessing that we have the semi auto because it gives the rider the "control" factor over the

I was intrigued about the Honda DN1 with the fully automatic--but never went as far as to look or test drive. The seat height was to tall for me so I knew it would not be a fun ride with my back and such.

I had a 1976 HondaMatic 750 when they first came out. That had a fully automatic transmission. You just shifted into drive, turned the throttle and it would wind out like a jet engine. It was a nice novelty for the time--but it was the only motorcycle that I did not drive much. I made the comment that it was not like I was really driving the motorcycle. I ended up trading that for a 1978 Kawsaki KZ650. I decked it out fully as a tourer and had many happy miles on that one.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Every manufacturer engineers the features it desires, or that it feels are practical or profitable, into its machines. While the CVT may seem like a no-brainer for you, it is not everyone's cup of tea, and was not the choice BRP picked. I'm sure that choice would have presented some substantial engineering challenges...and probably some costly ones, given that BRP chose an existing engine for the Spyder. Most motorcycles have no "automatic" transmission option at all, so the SE puts them ahead of some competitors. Like any other product, if the choices offered work for you, fine. If not, you have to look around at other brands or types of vehicles. Not all options are available in every brand.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

My wife owned two Honda 750 automatics back in the 70's and yes Scotty, not everyone's cup of tea.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But you know something?? I'd still like to find one of them in good shape; I think that it'd make for a fun short-haul" tooter ride"!
    Engine braking?? Not on your life!

Spyder Garage

If you could find one of them in running condition--you would have a unique "classic" type of motorcycle.

I have lamented that fact a few times over the years.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Just a thought, probably not an original; the talk in this forum about wanting a fully automatic transmission for the tourer, why hasn't BRP of all manufacturers put a CVT transmission on their product. My Prius goes anywhere and does anything but tow " heavy" things. I pull a 6 x 10 open utility trailer to the transfer stations and my 400# zero turn mower to the dealer for servicing. Surely BRP has enough experience with their snow machines and ATV's to make the transition to a CVT in the Can Am platform. These are wonderfully engineered trikes and this just seems like a no brainer in this day and age.

Be careful what you wish for.

Spyder Garage

I actually considered the Honda DN1 for a moment... nice beast, but too tall and heavy for me, hard to navigate in a parking lot.

But I think more bike manufacturers are going to go the automatic or semi-automatic route, at least an option. Aging population and all, etc. It won't be *common*, but it won't be quite so exotic.

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

The Paddle shift was one of the main reasons that I bought my Spyder. All of the other trikes that I have owned or now own are fitted with the KlickTronic or Pingel electric shift. The paddle shift, electric adjustable windshield, and at the time the air adjustable rear suspension were some of the best things about my Spyder. Unfortunatly the Spyder liked spending time in the shop better than on the road so it now belongs to someone else. It's too bad, I coulda grown to like it if it worked better!

Dwight

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I DID find a 750A that had been triked... But it's in Florida!