Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Am I getting old?

Indeed, I have been riding for 40 years - motorcycles, ATVs (since BEFORE the ATC 90), SxS, etc… This weekend the local dealer held an open house for the new facility - "pretty" and right on the river - They have always been the local dealer for Polaris, CanAm, and Victory - now all are under one roof. The warehouse was large - and seemed to be generally full of Polaris', we weren't invited into the shop… Being on the left coast, and in the heart of the "left" part, the parking was quite adequate for Spyders or "S" cars - a chore for any one else (including my one ton Dodge 4x4).

The event was fairly well attended - I understand they delivered two RTs, and I watched the pretty red one roll out (with an additional $1K open house discount - I would have waited too) - mostly by the local Victory riders group, but a fair number of Spyder tire kickers. They had at least one of each model Spyder, on the floor, but it was the RT that garnered the attention - and not just by the boomers, although the tattooed set gave anything with more than two wheels a wide birth.

They still have their old Spyder demo units, and still want over $14K for them, and the Victory Tour was just under $22K - a bargain compared to the Harleys… but, the Spyder RT LTE was a tad over $30K - Have you ever seen a $22K SxS?? I have - its the optioned out CanAm 1000 LTD. How abut a $16K 4x4 ATV? Another CanAm - how about a 2010 400cc 4x4 for $6800? Yep… This was sticker shock, down home and dirty. I just bought two late model ATVs (one was a 400cc 4x4, and the other a 700cc 4x4) for my daughter's ranch operations, and they weren't $6800 together. I'm not a pauper, but the CanAms are way out of affordability - I was unable to see a $4000 to $12000 advantage over brand "Y"…. Now I am concerned that Spyder pricing will continue to rise to Harley levels, removing me from the potential customer lists…

I rank CanAm with KIA and Hyundai - improving quality and dealer network, but not quite mainstream yet - unlike the automakers, CanAm has an unusual and compelling product, so some risk is warranted - but that limit is approaching for me...

So, shaking my head in bemused wonderment, I climbed in my trusty Ram, and pointed it back to the fringe, wondering, "Am I just getting old??"
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    So, shaking my head in bemused wonderment, I climbed in my trusty Ram, and pointed it back to the fringe, wondering, "Am I just getting old??"
    Na, Your not getting old . Whats happening is called inflation.
    Back in 75 i bought a new Mercury Station Wagon all decked out, I apologise to the salesman for giving him such a hard time on the price, I said to him ; In my wildest dreams i never though I'll ever pay 58 hundred dollars for a car.
    Inflation its a killer.

Spyder Garage

Default Im kinda with you

when i stopped by there saturday, I too saw alot of standing around and not alot of help..we actually had to talk to another spyder rider to get any questions answered. We were and are in the market but damn..that prices kinda got to me...Ive had Wings and Now i ride a harley ultra and I don't mind paying what I have to pay ...getting bad hips so I wanted to move over into a trike...but I'll be damned If I could get anyone to wait on us......guess I'll look elsewhere......oh well...looks like maybe it's a car ride or plane ride for me to find something.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It does seem that sticker shock never loses its sting...
    If you compare The RT stickers to those of a Gold Wing; they match up evenly.
    I don't compare to Harley because Harley, in my opinion, just doesn't compare!
    Maybe you need to not be thinking what you'd have to put into it... it's what you get out of it that counts!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Not older but wiser

Been riding everything same as you for 45 yrs., and still ride everything. Our snowmobile club paid $26,000 + for a loaded Polaris Ranger 800XP including tracks, to groom trails with. Heck of a nice machine. Will get to try it out in a couple more months.

My truck is a 2010 3/4 ton Ford 4x4 with a V10. Never have any problems parking it when I'm in 4 wheel drive, unless there is a bigger vehicle in the spot I want.

Spyder Garage

It really is painful to get old. Bad back, bad hips, everything costs so much more than what I remember.

I bought a large bag of Fritos this weekend and it cost $6.58.

And, that brand new 1968 VW bettle for $1,599.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default POINT/COUNTERPOINT

I agree with the inflation answer above and it ain't gonna get any better. Buckle up cause it's only get worse with the way our "dollar" is going.

With all that said, perhaps it suggests that the values of our present RT's will remain high? Let's hope so.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The next person who tells me that these are the "Golden Years" is gonna get slugged in the for sure!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default It irks me.......

I cannot, for the life of me, understand the pricing structure of the automotive industry. I can see no reason why a water pump for a Toyota made in the USA should cost near 400 bucks....or a molded MAP sensor for a Mitsubishi should be over 700....!!!.
    One would think that with mass production, prices should fall or at least stay stable.

Having said all that, I bought my RS for a mite over "almost walk away from it" dollars in May this year. I've been on this site from then and read of quirks and problems with individual machines but as of today I've got a great machine.
    I'm not into long distance riding so the RT was not in my future. I bought the simplest machine with a view to adding things which were more appropriate for me. I've been riding more Sport Tourers for the last twenty years including a V65 Sabre and a Triumph Trident and, honestly, the sight of all that tupperware kinda put me off. I'm widowed and my ryding is one up so you can see my reasoning.

Well written post, though.
    Last edited by Rayelljay; 10-04-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The next person who tells me that these are the "Golden Years" is gonna get slugged in the for sure!
    But they are the golden years, if you bought gold for $33.00 an ounce in the mid seventies and still have it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It does seem that sticker shock never loses its sting...
    Ya, Bob, I remember way back in 1972, I bought a brand new Ford Pinto Fastback for $1,919 and the year before that, I bought a brand new BMW R60/5 for $1,680 (when Honda 750's were running less than half that price!). While sticker shock will never loose its sting, the sticker price will always be the current reality. Reality's really the pits, isn't it?
    Last edited by Slybird; 10-03-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default short answer . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    . . . . Yes. But, I would point out, starting when you did, you were able to beat the inflationary pressures. Just think how much all your experiences would cost if you were just starting out today?

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    . . . . Yes. But, I would point out, starting when you did, you were able to beat the inflationary pressures. Just think how much all your experiences would cost if you were just starting out today?

Tom
    If I'm wrong, then please excuse the following, but I haven't seen you on the board in awhile Tom. Great to have you back.

Chris

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Everything has gone up in price, and as the baby boomers, seems we still shoulder the brunt of it. I must say, though, years ago we were not in the place we are now to be able to buy the Spyder. Seems that many times when we are riding, the other riders look at us as the 'old folks' with three wheels. They can think whatever they want - we're having fun and enjoying life!

Spyder Garage

Default not wrong at all

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    If I'm wrong, then please excuse the following, but I haven't seen you on the board in awhile Tom. Great to have you back.

Chris

Hi Chris, nope, your right. Its been a busy Summer - lots going on and lots of going - I've not had any time for the forum. I just had to pipe in on Dragonriders getting old and suffering from sticker shock. Though, it does seem like it was just yesterday that he was going through the angst of buying his Spyder and how he was going to Farkle it out. Time sure flies when your spending money.

Thanks for noticing.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Golden Years

The reason I made the print larger so (us old folks could read it). My Uncle died at 93 years young and before he died, he told me (I just can't get used to these prices)
    I just came back from visiting my Daughter and Son-in-law who live in Oregon. While we were there he had to take his bike(one that you must pedal) to get the tire fixed because it had a flat. While he was with telling the service department about the flat, I walked around the show room. What a shock to see the prices on these bicycles. I told ther salesman that I didn't pay that much for my first motorcycle in 1958. He didn't say anything because he new that I wasn't interested. I remember when gas was $.15 a gallon. When I went to Germany in 1958 with Uncle Sam i paid .75 for a carton of cigarettes.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

The first new car i bought was a 64 Barracuda 26 hundred dollars, At the time i was making about 80 to 100 dollars a week, The car [truck] i bought a few years ago cost 36 thousand dollars, and I'm sure i am making a lot more than i was in 64,
    It's all relative.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    It's all relative.
    And hopefully the relatives have money that I can borrow!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

And hopefully the relatives have money that I can borrow!
    Always borrow from relatives, You never have to pay them back [just ask my son's]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wait a minute... My kid just borrowed 3 grand for stuff he needs to pursue a Post-Graduate degree...

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Bob;
    If your kid is anything like one of my sons, the 3 grand just got "wings" unfortunately, the wings aren't on a "Homing pigeon".

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm gonna hve to dig out a shotgun a drop that bird before he gets out of sight!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Wait a minute... My kid just borrowed 3 grand for stuff he needs to pursue a Post-Graduate degree...
    Only 3 Grand, Where he going ,The University of Bangladesh.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's just for supplies... Art major...

The tuition was another $52,000 that he had best have a handle on!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

That's just for supplies... Art major...

The tuition was another $52,000 that he had best have a handle on!
    Wow, That will buy you a lot of adult diapers a few years down the road.

I don't have worry about that, My sons say when the time comes, There going to put me in a nursing home where they beat the residents.