Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post

But people like the one you talked to probably believes that a Prince of Nigeria is going to send him a reward for transfering his millions just for using his bank account.
    You mean that's not TRUE?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...and I was gonna give that money to the Preacher on the radio!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default the IRONY of it all

Let me share this story with you....

Me and my wife attended a charity motorcycle ride. It's hot and lots of questions, so I backed away into the shade for a break. This female all clad in HD leathers starts ragging my Spyder. I let her go on for awhile...not letting on that it is mine.
    • "I don't care what you say, that is not a motorcycle"
    • "if I ever get so old I can't hold up a bike...buy a Mazda Miata or something, right"
    I can't take it anymore, so I walk back over and get something out of my trunk. When I return she say
    • "hey man, to each his own, right"......
    anywho, the ride starts and she climbs on her Sportser 883. At the half way point we stop for a break...and we are in the middle of nowhere. I hear her again
    • "who in the H**! planned this ride, don't they think people might need gas"
    They ride resumes...and abouth 1/4 mile from our finale destination I see bikes ahead of me swerving...going around another bike. This bike pulls off the shoulder and hits a rut. Down she goes.... as I approach and slow to see if everything is OK. What do my eyes behold, it's this same leather clad young lady on the 883. Her friends have already help her up and she is OK...so is the bike. Just out of gas !

Now is that IRONY of what?

Spyder Bytes: Kury ISO Grips, GL1500 Windshield Vent w/ accent, Heel-Toe Shifter(inspectorgadget), HMT Brake Light, 12v outlet in frunk, GPS-Phone mount w/ case(techmounts.com), seat seal, Right Side Grill Covers(customdynamics.com), Fan Can10(ISCIrides.com), CAT Shields(SpyderPops.com), Elka Shocks, PressurePro TPMS, Cobra CB....and of course Cup Holders(mycupholders.com)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Yesterday, I attended a small bike event. I parked my right next to the food vendor. Although I don't know him, I have seen him around and we recognize each other. This was the first time he realized I drove a . He works with his daughter (probably about 20 or so) in his concesion. His daughter said that's what she wants to ride (he is a biker also). He then replies they are too dangerous. I started to give my usual lecture on safe driving, equipment, etc., but that wasn't where he was heading. He replied he has a friend (isn't there always a third party involved) who test drove one and hated it. Again, I tried to give him my speech that the is a learning experience and it takes several rides to really get used to it. No, again, he was heading in a different direction. He said his "friend" said it wouldn't swerve. If you needed to avoid something in front of you quickly, you couldn't. As we all know, nothing could be farther from the truth. If you want to do a quick swerve, hang on you gonna swerve. But he didn't want to hear it. That was all I could take. See Ya.

I no idea what he rides, but I would never go up to him and criticize his bike. That's his choice and more power to him. It doesn't bother me, but he might influence a future prospective Spyderlover not to become one.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, & many have a very strong opinion when it comes to their children. How about extending some grace to this dad who has heard some unflattering things about the Spyder & is trying to protect his daughter from making a mistake. Granted, he is wrong in his opinion, but he is likely sincere in his desire to protect his daughter.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

My Spyder was parked near one of my favorite places in Nashville (IN), and as I walked up to it there was a person extolling how dangerous, uncontrollable, and a long list of other things that Spyders are. Walked up, asked him what he rides, he told me he didn't own a bike. I told him to go get his car and I'd meet him in Story (about 10 miles away through some really interesting roads), if he got there first, I'd buy him dinner at the Story Inn, then he told me he didn't have a car, either. So I asked him how he could be such an expert. He didn't want to play anymore.
    Generally, I don't pay too much attention to people's opinions, but this guy was just too good a target.

john

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, & many have a very strong opinion when it comes to their children. How about extending some grace to this dad who has heard some unflattering things about the Spyder & is trying to protect his daughter from making a mistake. Granted, he is wrong in his opinion, but he is likely sincere in his desire to protect his daughter.
    You raise an interesting point,
    Could be that the Father doesn't want his Daughter to ride any kind of Trike, or for that matter any Motorcycle, So when she said i would kike to ride that [Spyder] A fathers first instinct is to say No way those things are Dangerous.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Gotta say.....

If my dear 28 year old daughter turned to me and said she wanted to buy a bike I would insist she try a Spyder first.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Well played, Lamont! I could not have said it better myself!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    My Spyder was parked near one of my favorite places in Nashville (IN), and as I walked up to it there was a person extolling how dangerous, uncontrollable, and a long list of other things that Spyders are. Walked up, asked him what he rides, he told me he didn't own a bike. I told him to go get his car and I'd meet him in Story (about 10 miles away through some really interesting roads), if he got there first, I'd buy him dinner at the Story Inn, then he told me he didn't have a car, either. So I asked him how he could be such an expert. He didn't want to play anymore.
    Generally, I don't pay too much attention to people's opinions, but this guy was just too good a target.

john
    My Daddy used to say "son, there's way more horses asses than horses"

Spyder Garage

1000 miles into a rs-s currently and all i get is good responses from people around here. This one guy was giving me the thumbs up hanging out of his truck the other day going down the road!! I have had numerous harley riders stop at stoplights and say how good looking my spider is from the back. So far i am totally impresses with this machine and i think everyone that sees it is too deep down inside :P

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default They need to grow up

Shortly after I bought Orbit I took her to Church. Several people were looking at it when one guy sad to his wife this might be just what you need (she has hip problem), and he asked if she can get on it. He rides a H-D, and she is always the passenger. A couple months later he tells me he is going to start a riding chapter (it never happened), and invited me to join. Then about two months later we went on a Memorial Day ride together that was mostly H-D's, and followed up with lunch at a diner. When I posted pics on my Facebook she responded that "a bike has two wheels, a trike has three, but what I have is a monstrosity". While I was hurt because I thought we were friends, and I would never put down another person's ride I just let it go for two reasons. First I figured she did not like the Spyder because she had a hard time getting on. Second her husband rides an H-D and she has that attitude thing. While I have not said anything about it, I have not ridden with them since.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

I went to a bike rally where a guy I know making fun of me for riding a Spyder a girl's bike. I looked at him and said yes but I'm still riding. Somehow he had no answer to that. He walked away with nothing else said.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rogerb View Post
    I went to a bike rally where a guy I know making fun of me for riding a Spyder a girl's bike.
    Try this reply .....

"You're right! You should see the girl that came with mine!"
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Try this reply .....

"You're right! You should see the girl that came with mine!"
    Very rarely do i reply to wise guys, I just play dumber than them [I'm good at that]
    But sometime ago a guy comes over to me and asks all the usual questions, Then as a parting shot he says,
    I think I'll get one for my Wife, He had a smug look on his face like it's a girls bike.
    My parting shot to him was was, You should get her one because the other day we went for a ride and she loved it.
    And away i rode.

Spyder Garage

Ride what you like, like what you ride. I've experienced both positive and negative comments. More positive than negative. I don't argue anymore with the negatives, I just let them have their opinions and walk away.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Why can't negative people keep their opinions to themselves

My response is always.."Bet you wish you could afford one" !!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scionxb View Post
    My response is always.."Bet you wish you could afford one" !!
    Heck, we have two and can't afford one...
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I got a Spyder for my wife...........man was that a good trade!

Honey I was just kidding really no no not the gun oh oh...............

Spyder Garage

I bought my first Spyder for my wife and when I brought it home she said I was just trying to kill her,
    I told her if I would have killed her when I wanted to I would have been out by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldandgrouchy View Post
    I got a Spyder for my wife...........man was that a good trade!

Honey I was just kidding really no no not the gun oh oh...............

Spyder Garage

Default confused?????????????????

I am very confused,Carol and I have ridden all over an talked to more people then I can count and have yet to talk to a single person who has had that mind set that spyders are bad???????? hell we were at bbb an was at a motel that was full of hd and had alot of good conversations,true they didnt have a clue about the spyder an were proud of there bikes,but not one negative.

I however did mention I sure like the sound of a harley,but lol isnt there always a butt, I enjoy talking to Carol as we go down the byway`s!!!yay for our team!

Dick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Bad opinions

Hey, I started this post just 24 hours ago, but 45 posts ago. We are sure a passionate group aren't we.

I just want to say one more thing. I usually never get a negative response to my . Mostly folks are asking the usual questions; how much, how fast, and that all important question "does it lean?" I guess to some folks lean factor = fun.

I always end my question session with: what are the three things bikers dread most? Sand, gravel, and wet roads (yeah I know, snow and ice, but remember, I am in south Florida). I just say move over two wheelers when the above hazards are in front of you. I'm coming through.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Four things: Ignorance...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Why can't people keep their negative opinions to themselves?

Because once a "cheesewhacker" ALWAYS a "cheesewhacker"!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!