Spyder Garage

Default Luck Finally Ran Out

After being grounded for two weeks I was off to Jim Potts Open House. Went out and the bike would not start. Now it's just clicking - which I have read means the battery is dead. Calling BEST. Very disappointed . . . first real problem after 8500 miles.
    Illinois Patriot Guard

Founding member of Woodstock Spyder Ryders

2014 RTS SE6 - White
    2010 RT/AC SE5 retired with 26,536 miles

pitbull

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    After being grounded for two weeks I was off to Jim Potts Open House. Went out and the bike would not start. Now it's just clicking - which I have read means the battery is dead. Calling BEST. Very disappointed . . . first real problem after 8500 miles.
    Hey just a battery, wouldn't sweat it too much, it happens sounds like a quick fix and you'll be riding agin soon

Spyder Garage

Sounds like it could be a dead battery. I would check the terminals to be sure they are TIGHT! White knuckle tight, not just snug. If they are not tight, a trickle charge for 24 hours after they are tightened may do the trick unless one of the cells is dead. Good luck.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Thanks. I learned a good lesson - - ride no matter what the weather is. It's been cold, rainy and windy here in the Chicago area for two weeks and I wimped out and didn't ride. Gave that battery a chance to die. Won't let that happen again.
    Illinois Patriot Guard

Founding member of Woodstock Spyder Ryders

2014 RTS SE6 - White
    2010 RT/AC SE5 retired with 26,536 miles

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

A battery tender is cheap insurance if you think you'll not be ryding for any length of time. Makes it easy to just plug into the pigtail that's attatched to the battery. I got my tenders fromthe dealer, and had them put the pigtail thing to the battery.Worked GREAT on my RS kept it going for more than the two years expectancy of the battery.

Spyder Garage

Get a battery tender and leave it on whenever your spyder is not running. That way you won't have this issue again.
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Spyder Garage

I have let mine sit as much as a week--without a charge--but never two.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have let my Spyder sit for several weeks, never have it on a charger and it always starts. OEM battery, January 2008. Not sure why others have issues.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I have let my Spyder sit for several weeks, never have it on a charger and it always starts. OEM battery, January 2008. Not sure why others have issues.

I have never once put mine on the tender. I have one, but I never used it. Spyder sat all winter in my garage and fired right up in the spring. Original 08 battery. I wish someone could answer the question why it happens.

I hope I didn't just jinks myself

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    'cause you bought-it in Florida?!?
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I have never once put mine on the tender. I have one, but I never used it. Spyder sat all winter in my garage and fired right up in the spring. Original 08 battery. I wish someone could answer the question why it happens.

I hope I didn't just jinks myself
    Could be that the battery was NOT fully charged when first put in service. Most battery's have to be fully charged before the first drawdown or they won't take a 100% charge from that point on.
    Just like cell phone batteries say , Charge before first use.

Spyder Garage

Batteries are built with a certain amount of "cycles". A cycle being a discharge/charge. Anything from manufacturing defects, charge rate, load, environment etc., has an impact on how long a battery will last. Large manufacturers buy batteries in balk. They may sit on the shelf for months or even a year before being used. Then they may not receive a full charge when installed. Couple that with how long the product sits at the dealer before being sold. Whenever I install new batteries (6-12 volt deep cells) in a customers machine I always tell them to let them fully charge before using the machine. Our machines use automatic chargers, plug and forget. I test the alternator output on the at least every six months just to be sure it's putting out the required voltage/amperage. One thing you have to remember, when you add lights, radios and other goodies to your ride, it's an added power draw. You may need to change the alternator and or battery to compensate for that. My has sat as much as three months and has started right up every time. And by the way, heat is as hard on a battery as cold.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    'cause you bought-it in Florida?!?
    True, very true...

Must be those Florida batteries...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hope you get it fixed before Sunday, I hear there's a 1/2# burger calling your name at the Bristol Tap. I will be going on the ride to Baraboo and not making it down this month for one of those great burgers.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Papa sorry to hear you're having troubles. I'm one of the lucky ones that didn't even put my battery on a charger over the winter and it has never let me down. I hope you get back on the road soon as it looks like we may be in for a little Indian Summer next week.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I have 2008 GS, 2014 STS, and now a Ryker Rally. But each and every Yassa battery has lasted me at least 5 years each even in NC not starting during winter for a couple months. If you dont get that kind of life you have some issues like something drawing current when it shouldnt! I have never used a battery tender at any time.
    I have a friend that has had all kinds of problems with batteries, I checked it out and there was a leaky diode in the rectifier pack. I have seen these issues before, these kinds of things can cause noise in an audio system by putting trash on the DC power line.

Spyder Garage

Interesting info CLH, and info that is probably useful to new readers at that!

But you really should check the dates on the original post (the post that started the thread) & also check the posting dates as you run back thru a few of the most recent posts in any thread where you might be considering answering....

Cheers!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CLH View Post
    I have 2008 GS, 2014 STS, and now a Ryker Rally. But each and every Yassa battery has lasted me at least 5 years each even in NC not starting during winter for a couple months. If you dont get that kind of life you have some issues like something drawing current when it shouldnt! I have never used a battery tender at any time.
    I have a friend that has had all kinds of problems with batteries, I checked it out and there was a leaky diode in the rectifier pack. I have seen these issues before, these kinds of things can cause noise in an audio system by putting trash on the DC power line.
    Original post was 9 years ago. That bike went on to serve him for 18000 more miles, until he got a 2014 model.
    2012 Viper Red RT-S (Sold)
    2020 Ryker Rally
    2023 Plasma Red F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

You in eastern NC where is your garage. Need a good place near Fayetteville to keep my spyder up and add lights and trailer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison55 View Post
    You in eastern NC where is your garage. Need a good place near Fayetteville to keep my spyder up and add lights and trailer.
    Harrison, unfortunately, very few people will see your post buried in here, especially in light of the age of the thread and its heading. I would suggest starting a new thread to ask your question.......besides, putting your question in another thread is called “hijacking” and can nullify the original poster’s question and is considered poor form .......it’s pretty easy to start a new thread...... Click the “Forum” button top left. Select an appropriate category from the selections below it, click “post new thread” (inside red banner - top left) and create a thread with a catchy heading like “Any good service guys in eastern NC”..hope this helps

Pete.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

If it died out in the rainy cool, it was ready for a change...and you didn't get stranded.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black