Spyder Garage

Default watch that left hand

if you have a manual. We have 2 and have rode bikes many years and are used to the clutch box have a young Nice that is very new to riding and has those small hands, Well she asked to hep put the scoots in the shop before it rained the other nite and she has been on them riding in the yard and takes them out and in all the time. she is 24

but as luck would have it the other nite she was waiting for me to go in 1st when I noted she disappeared from sight. She was in reverse when her hand slipped off the clutch and of course she panicked and floor the throttle.

Now let me tell you these thing will go fast backwards!! at one point she was heading into the house hit the sidewalk and the right side came up off the ground , the bike chopped the power like it should and it came back down but her hand was still pull on the way and it took off as soon as it was on the ground but now in a different direction, right into the biggest tree we have she was very lucky as she came off at the impact or just before and just hit the ground.

The bike looked like a pole climber going up the tree. when all was done it had hit so hard it not only blew the back tier and bent the rim but the rim split over the v stem in 2 ways or course the dang lic light and fender were crushed.

She is ok except for a big er bill and a few good meds. God know it could have been bad Bet is did not take more than 3 sec for it all to happen so just FYI be careful esp when in R things happen fast

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear she will be okay. You need to teach her how to use the kill switch.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I have been imbarrassed by the big orange 'R'! You do have to pay attention!

Glad she is ok.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by angel View Post
    She is ok except for a big er bill and a few good meds. God know it could have been bad Bet is did not take more than 3 sec for it all to happen so just FYI be careful esp when in R things happen fast
    Glad She's OK,

My Polaris ATV Has a reverse lockout it limits you to a crawl speed, But if you hit the yellow button will, put you over the bars. When ever i lend the quad out i tell them never hit the yellow button.
    Injury or Death may occur.

Spyder Garage

Glad the incident turned out all right and that no one was hurt.

The advice about the kill switch is very good.

I am training a new rider, and that was one of the first things we covered--how to stop the machine--regular and emergency.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hmmmm, I thought Spyders had a rev limiter in reverse. Mine does. Glad she's ok though. Can't say the same for your

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Hmmmm, I thought Spyders had a rev limiter in reverse. Mine does. Glad she's ok though. Can't say the same for your
    You would think that but I have been able to run near full power backwards since I got iy new. Big thing hear remember the kill sw

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    The Rev-Limiter works in either forward or reverse. But you can still build up some serious speed below 9500 RPM!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Mine seems to break traction in reverse at anything over half throttle... which instantly trips one of the safety computers into "please-eject-this-wacko-mode" and kills the engine.

That crawl in reverse doesn't sound like a bad idea
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've got a Raptor 660r(sport quad) and it will do 50 in reverse. I disengaged the limiter on it as I use tracks and skis in the winter time. It's totally insane and downright dangerous in reverse now. The reverse mod disables the light telling you it's in reverse. Thank goodness the Spyder has a light for it. I know what that's like as I have juiced the rappy not knowing I was in reverse while dumping the clutch. I end up flopped over the handle bars with my face plastered to the radiator.