Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Soar Butt

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The AirHawk R is actually the widest motorcycle cushion they make, so the width is unlikely to cause you to be perched. It is more likely a matter of leg length or footrest position. If they are too low or too far forward, the thighs put pressure on the pad and raise the center.

BTW, the Airhawk fits and reacts and fits a bit differently on the RT seat than on the firmer RS seat or an aftermarket seat.
    Wow, really?? (Checks Airhawk website) Whaddya know! I've got a reaaaaalllllly big .

The Ultimate raises me up a bit, that's for sure, and the Airhawk added to that, so when I put my feet low on the boards, it's almost like I'm on a dually now. So, yeah, I can see how I'm probably pushing the center up with that position.

I *did* notice the Airhawk sitting better if I pushed it farther back into the "nook" formed by the Ultimate's backrest.

That's one thing I've noticed about the Ultimate-- you don't slide forward like on the stock seat BUT you *do* sit further forward; my, ummm, crotch is right over the seat/panel gap in my most natural sitting position now.

Spyder Garage

Update: I was notified by Airhawk that they want to charge me an extra $29.95 shipping because I live in AK. Most of the suppliers that I deal with from lower 48 do not penalize me for where I live. I do not order from these types of suppliers. Order said free shipping. That should include AK--we are American citizens here also. Sometimes you have to eat a little shipping to keep the customer happy. Here, they are treating 96% (48/50) one way and the other 4% (2/50) differently. In the scope of things, for a large company, a little bit of extra shipping absorbed, works out in the long run.

Order cancelled. I will find another vendor.

Bob D. I was going to order the medium size 14 x 14. Looks like it would fit on the front part of my Corbin seat best. Should be about the same for your stocker.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-26-2011 at 11:27 AM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The last thing I would add is check your underwear and your riding pants. A lot of the newer riding pants are very seam conscience and try to avoid hotspots. A lot of older gear and jeans could care less.
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Okay... I just got back from looking at their website; What model or size of these suckers is right for the RTS: both rider and passenger??

Handle-bars...
    The Medium Cruiser fits well on the stock RT seat.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you want me to check and see what it'd cost me to get it and send it on up to you??
    Medium Cruiser...Thanks Scotty
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

CHECK MY UNDERWEAR??? Not on your life!! My Missus now swears that I'm unfamiliar with what "aim" has to do with keeping britches from going in the garbage and that "Brown in back and yellow in front" ISN'T humorous beyond the age of 6...

Spyder Garage

I am good, Bob D.--but thank you for the offer. The company hit my hot button. The companies that do this always go with $29.95, $39.95 or higher. I would not mind if this was a heavy item--but we are talking 3.5# actual.

One of the leather suppliers tried to charge me $75.00 extra to ship me a pair of pants. I did not buy them either. There are a couple others out there that I don't use for that same reason--but I will cool the rant.

I used to ship mail orders at my leather company--so I have a clue as to what some of these vendors are doing.

Its not the money here--it is the principle of the thing. They got their free advertising. I will eventually find something that works.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-29-2011 at 02:27 PM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well if you change your mind, don't be bashful about letting me help. The Missus and I owe you one...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

This is what I use for long rides. > personal care > antiperspirants & deodorants > body powders Chris

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dochands View Post
    When I saw the headline SOAR BUTT I thought you flew off your bike. LOL

Airhawk is the best thing I have ever found and remember they use them for people who are wheelchair bound so they are good.
    Both my husband and I have Airhawk cushions for our RS that we use for longer trips, they have really helped us do some 600+ mile days.
    --Paula
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Update: I was notified by Airhawk that they want to charge me an extra $29.95 shipping because I live in AK. Most of the suppliers that I deal with from lower 48 do not penalize me for where I live. I do not order from these types of suppliers. Order said free shipping. That should include AK--we are American citizens here also. Sometimes you have to eat a little shipping to keep the customer happy. Here, they are treating 96% (48/50) one way and the other 4% (2/50) differently. In the scope of things, for a large company, a little bit of extra shipping absorbed, works out in the long run.

Order cancelled. I will find another vendor.

Bob D. I was going to order the medium size 14 x 14. Looks like it would fit on the front part of my Corbin seat best. Should be about the same for your stocker.
    Try Dennis Kirk, they handle Airhawk, that's where we got ours (they are just up the road from us). --Paula
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool "No Monkey Butt" Powder

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    This is what I use for long rides. > personal care > antiperspirants & deodorants > body powders Chris
    In addition to tring to minimize seams I also use this "NO MONKEY BUTT " Powder and it works.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I forgot about that one. Definitely the cheapest option.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I forgot about that one. Definitely the cheapest option.

Maybe that is why Santa puts it in my Christmas Stocking

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Passenger size?

If the Medium Airhawk is the correct size for the RTS driver seat, is that also the correct one for the passenger or should it be one of the pillion cushions?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default corbin

I had the seat from hell.................it came with my spyder an the bike is great,so after buying bandayds I got a corbin,why didnt i do this before all the pain?

Dick

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dadof4 View Post
    Hi Shaggy,

I'm interested in the Airhawk also. Which cushion is the newest Airhawk ROHO? I don't want to order one that doesn't fit properly.

Thanks
    The AirHawk ROHO R cushion http://www.airhawkseatcushions.net/p...em-wcover.aspx the little notch in it works out great for the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Biggest difference I found on my old bike was adding highway pegs and a backrest. Push your legs against the pegs for a couple of minutes and the difference is remarkable , especially if using a backrest , or the co-rider. I tried the gel pads but they raised me too much that the lower back support wasn't there. The air riders do look like they'd work really well ( especially the center being cutout ) though and I just might give one a shot.....but after adding the highway pegs.

Spyder Garage

ButchA2025: Thank you for the suggestion about Dennis Kirk. They will ship UPS ground to me for $12.86. That beats the $29.95 rip off shipping from the other place. The seat was only $1.00 more than the Mfg.

I placed the order with Dennis Kirk.

Thanks again.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by buddybear View Post
    If the Medium Airhawk is the correct size for the RTS driver seat, is that also the correct one for the passenger or should it be one of the pillion cushions?
    I doubt the cruiser seats (elongated front) would fit well. The rectangular type is probably better. Measure your pillion seat length and width, then compare to the dimensions on the Airhawk Website.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Everyone else has chimed in so I thought I would as well.
    I think I have used every product mentioned here. Started with the stock seat on my RS. Awefull. Got some monkey butt powder that is fine for avoiding chafing but does nothing for comfort in long distance riding. I found a much better solution to be underwear from LD Comfort. It breathes and make the ride more comfortable. I went to the Airhawk. It helped but it was not the long distance answer. After a few hours, I became uncomfortable to say the least. Never tried the beads but I would think they could come in handy when it rains. Might be ideal in keeping you from sitting in a puddle of water. I don't know about long term comfort though.
    I think Nancy's Toy hit it on the head when he said that most seats come from the manufacturer/builder the same. However the end users are all different. Some love their Corbins and other seats while others end up hating them.
    So a couple of years ago before we went on our route 66 ride, I bit the bullet and had a seat made based on my size, weight and sitting position. As a result, I was able to go long distances every day for 3 weeks with no ill effects. Sure I got tired, but my butt never got sore.
    So, IMHO, looking at these various cheaper alternatives was a waste of time and money for me. I wish I had gotten my Russell Day Long seat from day one. I really don't even think about seat comfort any more; regardless of the distance that I plan on doing.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We use Alaska Leather sheepskins and they help but they're certainly no magic carpet. The stock RT seat is the best seat I have ever had but it's not perfect and I doubt that any seat is. I don't have highway pegs but I agree that they help by letting you reposition your legs for a while and that changes the weight distribution on your butt so that spot that's getting sore can rest awhile. The RT's cruise control helps a lot as well because it lets me rest my hand and arm and maintain a steady speed without having to constantly adjust the throttle.

I agree with Scotty that, by far, the best thing you can do is to stop and get off and stretch every so often. And it doesn't cost a thing. The only good thing about the Spyder's limited fuel range is that it forces you to do just that. I hate planning trips and trying to stick to some prearranged schedule but, in sparsely populated west Texas and eastern New Mexico, I will sometimes plan fuel stops that are around 120 - 140 miles so I don't have to worry about running out of fuel. Turns out this is also a pretty good interval for rest stops as well.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Just an update.

I ranted a couple of times on shipping charges charged by mercenary suppliers to those of us who live in Alaska & Hawaii.

A compliment to Dennis Kirk company for their fast and non-mercenary service.

I ordered an AirHawk seat. They shipped it UPS Ground on 9/26. Cost: $12.86. Wt: 3.5#

It arrived in Anchorage today (9/29/11), and will be delivered to my house tomorrow.

I will give an update on the seat--the whole purpose of this thread--after I put a couple hundred miles on it this weekend.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-29-2011 at 02:31 PM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Ultimate Seat for the RT

I spoke with the rep from Ultimate Seats while at the DelMarva Bike week in Ocean City, Maryland in September. He told me that Ultimate seats is coming out with a seat for the RT after the 1st of the year. I sat on the Ultimate seat for the RS and it was very comfortable. I am looking forward to the one for the RT. Just add my suggestion to the list if you care to wait until after the new year.