Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Car Tires and BEST warranty

Has anyone had BEST warranty problems because of using a car tire on the rear wheel? I have about 12000 miles and I'm riding on the wear bars. Is it don't ask, don't tell or do I just take a chance? The fast wear and cost of a dealer tire is disturbing to me. I presume this has been discussed before but don't know when or where.

Spyder Garage

Prior threads have indicated extended wear on the car tires. 12-15,000 miles on a is par for the rear with the OEM tire.

Have not heard of that with car tires.

A little more information? Brand, etc. Maybe something was set up wrong?

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I've yet to find a car tire that lasted any longer than the stock tire. I don't see there being any problem unless the tire itself cause a problem.

Spyder Garage

For a motorcycle, 12,000 miles is a whole bunch on a rear tire...at least twice what I get on my BMW for a tire that is twice as expensive. I am tickled pink to get 12K out of a rear tire.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that any "non-sanctioned" part would have to be the cause of a problem before BRP could start getting ugly with you regarding a warranty issue...
    That having been said; If you don't point out the tire brand to them, are they looking THAT close???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I've yet to find a car tire that lasted any longer than the stock tire.
    40K on the RS, Micheline Pilot Sport 225/55/15:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-myth-debunked
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    40K on the RS, Micheline Pilot Sport 225/55/15:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-myth-debunked
    Yea but NOT a good rain tire

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, but isn't Doc fast enough to get around the storm fronts???

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire Pressure

I will use a stock tire and plan on running 24 psi in it. I can't get my head around a car tire to save a few bucks and my dealer wont put one on I believe that running 28/30 is the cause of the rear wearing in the center. I ran it all day with 24 psi and when I stopped and checked the pressure it was at 27 psi so that is normal hot temp increase in psi. I talked to some guys who run lower then that and their tires were wearing flat, much better then mine so I plan on trying it out on the new tire when I get it on. I can't sell my Spyder here with a car tire on it so that is another issue, just in case BRP brings out a new model with a V4 engine, ha ha.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's the dilemma...
    Tire pressures that are too high will definitely chew the life out of the center section of a tire.
    But...
    It has been suggested here that running lower pressures will also wear the center out due to ballooning of the tire at speed. Perhaps due to the not-so-robust construction???
    Dealers can be reluctant to mount a tire designed for use on cars... but there's enough dealers around that you can easily find one who'll look the other way just enough to take your money for the job...
    That's why I'm trying a Falken...

Spyder Garage

I had a BFG G-Force installed a few weeks back. That tire has more ply layers than our skin. I am very satisfied with it. But, I am one of the few Spyder owners who doesn't worry about the warranty, especially where a tire is concerned. If a tire will effect your engine or your lights, then "Houston, we've had a problem". I am on my second Spyder and have never had any issues concerning warranty from my dealer. The more you worry about things you can't do anything about, the less time you will have to enjoy life with your Spyder. Happy trails.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

My initial decision to go to a passenger tire was trying to get more mileage out of the rear, even though 13,000 on the OEM was not bad. After mounting the passenger tire I will not go back to the OEM, because the Spyder just simply handles better with the passenger tire. The wife even commented on it riding better with the passenger tire on. It is more stable on twisties and on the interstate, especially around semis. I feel the stiffer side wall eliminates the side to side flex that the OEM has and I can run a higher pressure, just my personal opinion. The Kumho is probably going to get the around the same mileage as the OEM (currently 11,000). I might try a different tire next time, but it will be a passenger tire.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question: Has anybody noticed a drop in fuel economy when a change is made to a heavier tire?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Here's the dilemma...
    Tire pressures that are too high will definitely chew the life out of the center section of a tire.
    But...
    It has been suggested here that running lower pressures will also wear the center out due to ballooning of the tire at speed. Perhaps due to the not-so-robust construction???
    Dealers can be reluctant to mount a tire designed for use on cars... but there's enough dealers around that you can easily find one who'll look the other way just enough to take your money for the job...
    That's why I'm trying a Falken...
    Bob the last tire that I installed was a falken 912 it only lasted 17000 kms original lasted 12000 kms this time I installed a kumho ectra it seems to have more tread depth than the falken and looks more like original

Spyder Garage

Was running 26 psi on wifes rear tire on the RT will be going in tomorrwo for new tire, 8,500 miles on tire, 2/32 in the center 7/32 on the outside. I guss I will drop the pressure down to 24 psi and keep a closer eye on it.

Spyder Garage

Default oem tires

i was not aware of wear problems on the oem tires because we have 13500 miles on the original tires that came with our 2010 spyder rts.there is no signs of wear at all on these tires. all most all miles were with 2 people on the bike so it was not because of pulling no weight. we run it with the book list air pressure and have had no problems..
    Last edited by rock; 10-11-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Car Tires

My wifes factory tire was gone @ 6500mi. , have not ran one since, Installed Michelin Hydroedge 215/60-15 rear prior to our trip to Alaska from Texas, she has 0ver 25, 000 miles on this rear and looks great running at 16psi. since new, research this tire, we ran them on her two previous Goldwing Trikes and is the only rear I will run now , could not be better in rain and has a 90,000mi. treadlife rating , she rides solo so never gets great compared to two up mileage, I attribute this to scuffing, also have installed 175/65-14 General Altimax Rt on the fronts at the same time before our trip, I dont know if these will ever wear out, grip outstanding , LOTS of deep grooves, better handling due to stiffer sidewalls , we rode through some terrible rains and a white out blizzard in Canada in may and she never slipped once, and NO , sensor issues, my understanding of programming is looking at front to rear speed and speed differences from front to front , I can only say she has 42,000mi. and have never had an issue. Hope this helps
    Last edited by syclemom; 09-30-2011 at 10:21 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    i was not aware of wear problems on the oem tires because we have 13500 miles on the original tires that came with our 2010 spyder rts.there is no signs of wear at all on these tires. all most all miles were with 2 people on the bike so it was not because of pulling no weight. we run it with the book list air pressure which is 17 psi in the rear 14 psi in the front.
    Wow, did you say only 17 psi in the rear??. I need to know if that is the secret to higher rear tire wear?

Spyder Garage

Default tire wear

As I said her first tire the center was slick at 6500mi. 28-32psi. is , I think, absurd. Compare the weight that is on the rear tire to its max. load@ max. psi. and you will see why they wear the center fast and uneven, my wife is small and rides solo so this problem is exaggerated more, if you ride two up or are alot larger than her I would start @ 20psi. no more and watch wear this is the second car tire and run both at 16-17psi. tire squats slightly as a radial should and wear is MUCH more even. I think she will get 40-50,000mi. out of the Michelin I will be completely happy with anything over 30,000mi. price is better than oem tire, I installed hers myself at home , ordered from onlinetires.com. My wife ridesabout 20,000mi. a year so the oem tire to me was not acceptable.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. I have met someone that lowered rear pressure but not that much so it is nice to know someone who has. I feel that the posted 28/30 psi is to much for the Kenda as every oem tire with wear I have seen is worn in the center. I would also think that the contact patch is smaller on the tire at the higher pressure so less grip. The first thing I noticed when I lowered my rear tire pressure was better grip at take off. Makes sence to me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Falken will be "landing" () here on Wednesday if the Fedex website isn't lying to me. I stopped by the shop and they said to call to make sure that they've got some room in the shop... October is when the snowmobiles start showing up...

Spyder Garage

Syclemom: Maybe I missed it, but did you say what lbs you're running in the front tires?

FWIW: I've got Altimax on my Corolla and love em; Michelins on my Altima and love em even more.

Spyder Garage

Default Fronts

General Front tires@ 21psi

Spyder Garage

I run about 2 to 3 lbs. over the book higt pressure. Then I check it with white shoe polish, I put three stripes across the tread and ride it bike for about 20 miles to see if I get full connect across the tire. I found that the 3 lbs, front and back, gave me even connect and better gas mileage. I got 44.4 mpg on the the highway and 39.6 on back roads. I have 3,000 miles on my 2011 RSS and this was with a full load using Hi Test Gas on my 800 mile five day trip. The stock tires on the Canam are high performance car tires and if they last 12,000 miles, I'll real happy. That's IMHO.

Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike
    Forgive me for being a bit on the "less-than-skilled" side of the equation...
    Could you give a bit better description of where you started your tire pressure test, how you tested it, and where you ended up with your pressures set, and why?
    Sorry... I'm having a VERY dumb day!