Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    My buddy, who has a Gold Wing, and I measured the distance of my CB. The transmit was about 100 yards and to receive was just a little longer.
    Its the transmit that is weak on the units. with a car handheld ... using a roof top mag antenna we can talk back and forth between the Car with the Midland 75 822 and standard roof top mag mounted cb external antenna to the RT Spyder about 1/2 mile easy ...

But Spyder to Spyder is only very close distance. At last year Spyderfest I was only able to maybe do 100 yards from one Spyder to another. When riding with Harley Trikes, I am probably able to do 1/4 mile ...
    2013 Yellow ST-S SM5, Elka Stage1 Rear Shock, 2Brothers Exhaust, K&N Air Filter(soon), TricLED fnt fender LEDs, frnt LED daylight strips, 3rd Rear brake LED, ISCI Hand Brake, BajaRon Sway Bar&Links, Bullant Laser Aligned, Lamont's CAT ByPass, CALSCI Windshield, Works Performance Stage 5 Front Shocks
    Previous = 2010 Blue RT-S Spyder SM5

Spyder Garage

The labor, as printed on the installation instructions, is 1.5 hours for the CB/Intercom & 1. 5 hours for the Entertainment Harness. I was told by Matt, of BRP, that the labor is based on junior tech times who've performed the install several times. If I recall, I took three evenings and most of a Saturday, but could probably have done it much faster with each time doing it, but haven't tried it again.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    The labor, as printed on the installation instructions, is 1.5 hours for the CB/Intercom & 1. 5 hours for the Entertainment Harness. I was told by Matt, of BRP, that the labor is based on junior tech times who've performed the install several times. If I recall, I took three evenings and most of a Saturday, but could probably have done it much faster with each time doing it, but haven't tried it again.
    I would bet a senior tech on there 10th install ( one after another ) couldn't install the CB and Entertainment harness in 3 hours.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

My CB BRP unit gets aprox. 1 1/2 miles and some times more. Are you sure you do not have it set in preferences for local instead of distance?

Spyder Garage

/we had one installed on our SE and it works great. We also have Goldwings and needed to talk to each other, had to order new headsets (thought the ones we had on the Goldwing would work because the cords fit but the wing headsets uses different pins for mic's and speakers) and Seirra Electronics carries one that works on the spyder.
    It works great and distance is far greater than has been posted here, it is clear and loud and Cindy's voice comes over better than she ever did on the Trike.

It is expensive but so is the one on the Goldwing, I have installed the units on our Goldwings but didnt install this one (just because I am learning the bike right now) but have done the trailer hitch yesterday.

Spyder Garage

Default Mounting the handheld CB

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredCGRider View Post
    Save your money, I have the CB and it cost a total if $1300. installed, And you would think that for that price it would work better then yelling across the street. What a hunk of junk, I have had to have it tuned twice now and the best it will to is transmit about a mile. ICOM makes a Portable CB setup for the Midland 75-822 hand held cb that really works and will give you a working intercom. And you can use either a CB radio or a FRS. And costs under $300.

How did you mount the handheld?? I have a Cobra unit that I used on my HD, butt cannot find a place to mount it on the RT-s

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by alicej View Post
    How did you mount the handheld?? I have a Cobra unit that I used on my HD, butt cannot find a place to mount it on the RT-s
    Try .http://www.ram-mount.com/ go to motorcycle section and you can build your own with their interactive tool. They also have a universal holder that will 2 way radios

Spyder Garage

Scala has a G-4 headset that works great from bike to bike. You have a 3/4 to 1 mile distance. Its blue tooth compatible and a build in FM. Cost around $500 for a pair and no wires to hassle with. It takes about 15min.to install in two helmets and its compatible with two other G4. this way it doesn't matter which kind of MC you are riding. We have had CB and we like this much better. We decided to do this and save about a $1000.

Hand grips
    GPS holder
    Buttler mug holder
    Running lights front and rear
    12V plug in
    Graphics

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=CJ/johnnyg;382960]Scala has a G-4 headset that works great from bike to bike. You have a 3/4 to 1 mile distance. Its blue tooth compatible and a build in FM. Cost around $500 for a pair and no wires to hassle with. It takes about 15min.to install in two helmets and its compatible with two other G4. this way it doesn't matter which kind of MC you are riding. We have had CB and we like this much better. We decided to do this and save about a $1000.[/QUOTE
    You can buy a G4 Powerset(2 G4s) for a hell of a lot less than $500.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Default BRP CB

All,
    What do the settings need to be for the BRP CB on a RT-S to maximize the receiving/talking distance?
    Thanks,
    Reese
    2010 RT-S SE5 Orbital Blue