Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP CB on an RT-S

How much should I expect to pay for a stock CB installed by a dealer...the total cost? Are there any alternatives to the BRP unit? I have a Goldwing with CB and want to be able to talk to my wife who will have the RT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boyallie View Post
    How much should I expect to pay for a stock CB installed by a dealer...the total cost? Are there any alternatives to the BRP unit? I have a Goldwing with CB and want to be able to talk to my wife who will have the RT.
    We bought the CB and had it installed when we got it...Install was free as it was part of the deal...The cost of the CB was $900 I think...Well worth the money IMHO.
    2009 Victory Midnight Cherry Vision
    2011 Can-Am Viper Red Spyder RT-S

Spyder Garage

Dealer in New York where I'm getting bike actually wants $1600. Too funny.

Spyder Garage

What are you getting for your 1600 ? CB, Entertainment harness,headsets and cords as you will need all this to use the CB/ Intercom . Seems a little high although it took me a good 5-6 hours to install the CB unit and entertainment harness . Why you can't order this stuff installed from the factory as you do car options is beyound me ?
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Dealer said it would be about 10 hours of labor!

Spyder Garage

Dealer said it would be about 10 hours of labor!
    I paid a little less than $1500. That included the CB, Entertainment Harness, TWO headsets and labor.

I later got the PTT fix, but that was a warranty repair for no cost.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default cb

You cant imagine what it takes to install to the point of the back of the bike has to be partially removed an every tupperwear from the front facia,I did it but never again,directions suck at best,but after words it works great for my wife and I to communicate.

Now if I could figure how to make phone work with it.

Dick

Spyder Garage

What is the entertainment harness? The dealer gave you two helmet headsets, ie, J&M?

Spyder Garage

My dealer only charged 2.5 hours to install the CB so it was little under $1,000 installed and out the door. I also bought two headsets for $120 each at Central Cycle Powersports.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 09-23-2011 at 10:13 AM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=boyallie;375694]What is the entertainment harness? The dealer gave you two helmet headsets, ie, J&M?
    /QUOTE]

A simple explanation of the entertainment harness is a harness that is required to hook up options on your scoot. When I ordered BR1, I bought the CB, GPS and XM radio. This included the harness to hook these up to intergrate them into the audio system. It is a required item if you wish the BRP CB...or other items to work through your headsets/speakers, etc. My dealer gave me (and still does) 15% off my options and the labor to install them. I also had Kewl footrest and a brake light installed. The dealer said there is a much less labor charge when putting these on when the scoot comes out of the crate...as it is all apart already.

Ten hours of labor seems excessive to me. Several of our more talented Spyders have installed CBs, etc and know the actual time it took them...remember that they do it once and your dealer tech does many CBs etc and should take much less time than our members.

I do not understand why a dealer would overcharge a customer who just bought a new scoot and will be back for service, options, etc. Because my dealer gave me resonable prices, I have sent two folks for new Spyders and one for a two wheeler because I was treated fairly. It just does not figure....

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

If the install is being done at the same time the dealer is assembling the it cost much less because the tech doesn't have to remove all of the panels, or any other parts. There is a thread here somewhere where a member has a picture of what his looks like after tearing everything down to start the install (and it isn't pretty). I believe that every state regulates labor charges differently, so you'll get many different opinions on how long it takes to install the CB/Comm system. BRP has set the time for labor charges and many dealers follow that chart; whereas, some dealers use it as a guideline and only charge the customer the amount of time the technician actual uses (flat-rate vs real-time).

Like any other high-priced "toy", if you can't afford to have it fixed, or don't know how to do it yourself, then perhaps you should think twice about owning it.

Spyder Garage

I can afford to have it done. But why get taken advantage of when someone will charge what is more fair and reasonable.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can afford to have it done. But why get taken advantage of when someone will charge what is more fair and reasonable.
    Very true in what you say. Call several dealers listed on this site...they don't have to be close to you and ask "how much to...". When I shopped for BR1 and knew exactly what I wanted, I listed the options, called five dealers for pricing. Mine was a cash deal so no trade in....just the facts! One dealer said he could not give prices over the phone because of his low prices, I may be a dealer...I said here is my home address, send me a letter...never heard from him. No big deal, I got a reasonable deal and we are happy.

Somewhere here, there are posts of CB installs with photos...a chore at best.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Here is the thread for DIY Install:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t=comm+install

Spyder Garage

WITHOUT the CB....will my wife be able to listen to the AM FM with her helmet headset on the RT-S? J&M headset and lower cord?

Spyder Garage

If you have the Audio Convenience package, yes, she can listen to music.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

WITHOUT the CB....will my wife be able to listen to the AM FM with her helmet headset on the RT-S? J&M headset and lower cord?
    No, She will only be able to listen to the radio through the speakers only not through the headset as the headset is part of the CB/Communication system. I have a 2010 RTS with no cb/comm system and I can only listen to the ipod and radio through the speakers on the .

Spyder Garage

oops, guess I'm wrong....sorry about that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IF the entertainment harness is installed, could the helmets work then? I think I read that they would with the harness...

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    IF the entertainment harness is installed, could the helmets work then? I think I read that they would with the harness...

Nope, that's not enough. Besides, the rear headphone jack is part of the CB/Comm package, as I recall, while the front jack comes with the entertainment harness...or is it vice-versa?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default CB on an RT-S

This is one of the reasons I have not purchased a RT-S yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most other touring bikes either come with an intercom system.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Save your money buy Shocks instead

Save your money, I have the CB and it cost a total if $1300. installed, And you would think that for that price it would work better then yelling across the street. What a hunk of junk, I have had to have it tuned twice now and the best it will to is transmit about a mile. ICOM makes a Portable CB setup for the Midland 75-822 hand held cb that really works and will give you a working intercom. And you can use either a CB radio or a FRS. And costs under $300.

Spyder Garage

My buddy, who has a Gold Wing, and I measured the distance of my CB. The transmit was about 100 yards and to receive was just a little longer.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default What about GPS

I already had the dealer install the CB Communication System, I am interested in adding the Garmin 660 Zumo GPS. Do I need to have a dealer install that in my communication system - in other words, do I need to buy from a dealer and pay for them to install? I have called around and have been unable to get an answer that makes me comfortable in buying my own system.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredCGRider View Post
    Save your money, I have the CB and it cost a total if $1300. installed, And you would think that for that price it would work better then yelling across the street. What a hunk of junk, I have had to have it tuned twice now and the best it will to is transmit about a mile. ICOM makes a Portable CB setup for the Midland 75-822 hand held cb that really works and will give you a working intercom. And you can use either a CB radio or a FRS. And costs under $300.

I agree it is a piece of crap. Mine has been replaced once, and the antenna replaced once, and it still doesn't work correctly. They are not sure what to do now. The second unit took care of the ipod muting problem I had, but I could not receive any more than about 3 car lengths (when on a group ride I could hear the guy right behind me answering the leader, but never heard the leader). The antenna fixed that kind of (supposedly it was crimped) ... still not much distance. Overall very disapointed for a unit that installed cost about 900$$$$$.

Willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..