Spyder Garage

Default 2011 RT-S Throttle bodies

I'm seeing many having them replaced. Is this a recall item?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boyallie View Post
    I'm seeing many having them replaced. Is this a recall item?
    I don't recall a lot of replacement postings. The main fix is a software upgrade to address throttle body activation on the 2011's.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Warranty Bulletin 2011-7 is a firmware update concerning the throttle body on 2011 RTs. If the update is not done, throttle body damage can result. Spyders that already exhibit throttle body fault codes at the time of the update, need to have the throttle bodies replaced as part of the Warranty Bulletin work. If you own a 2011 Spyder RT, and have not visited your dealer to have this important update done, I urge you to do so ASAP.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I just purchased a Viper Red RT-S 2011 that I will be picking up in about 10 days. The dealer says all updates have been done..etc. Bike has 5.6 miles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Warranty Bulletin 2011-7 is a firmware update concerning the throttle body on 2011 RTs. If the update is not done, throttle body damage can result. Spyders that already exhibit throttle body fault codes at the time of the update, need to have the throttle bodies replaced as part of the Warranty Bulletin work. If you own a 2011 Spyder RT, and have not visited your dealer to have this important update done, I urge you to do so ASAP.
    You're not kidding, mines broke down in Ocean City over the weekend on my first distance ride. I was really disappointed. Hope this isn't signs of things to come. Bike is only 4 months old

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I don't recall a lot of replacement postings. The main fix is a software upgrade to address throttle body activation on the 2011's.
    How do I find out about updates, codes and the like. Had my bike at the dealers a week before bike week for my guage replacements, and updates weren't done. Do they do them automatically or do I have to ask are there any ? No reason for me to have broke down.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Newsuan View Post
    How do I find out about updates, codes and the like. Had my bike at the dealers a week before bike week for my guage replacements, and updates weren't done. Do they do them automatically or do I have to ask are there any ? No reason for me to have broke down.
    If the dealer hooks the machine to BUDS, it should list any applicable warranty bulletins or recalls that need to be completed. There are a few exceptions, when a rare problem has a fix, but is not addressed unles that problem is present. Your tech should have hooked your machine up to BUDS when it was in. You caould always call or visit the dealer and have them look up your VIN#.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I am getting my SECOND throttle body replaced at the dealer as well as a new ECM. I really hope this ends my on going issues with dependability.
    Mike

Youth is wasted on the young
    2007 Honda Goldwing
    1976 Kawasaki KZ-900
    2011 Blue RT SE-5

Spyder Garage

Just had my throttle body replaced, I have juts over 6,000 miles on my bike!

Very Happy Rider

Spyder Garage

Default Throttlebody cleaning

Cleaning them at 20,000+ miles, along with other service including factory updates to the electronics, sparkplugs, drivebelt tightening, lube to the front wheel arm fittings, oil change... Result: 1000 rpm drop at 55 mph, runs a bit cooler, more comfortable ride, slightly better mileage. 2010 RT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SparkySpyder View Post
    Cleaning them at 20,000+ miles, along with other service including factory updates to the electronics, sparkplugs, drivebelt tightening, lube to the front wheel arm fittings, oil change... Result: 1000 rpm drop at 55 mph, runs a bit cooler, more comfortable ride, slightly better mileage. 2010 RT.
    How in the world did you get a 1,000 rpm drop at 55 mph? That's really substantial, unless it's just a matter of the tachometer reading more accurately.
    Dan

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SparkySpyder View Post
    What were the RPM@ 55; before ?
    What are they after [now]?

Spyder Garage

Waiting for my new Throttle Body so I can finally enjoy my newly purchased 2011 RT LTD. The bike had 560 miles on it the dealer put on and just after 600 miles I was experiencing the throttle body issue. It's been a week since dealer has placed a new part order. It takes me about 10 starts to get it to run properly. I hope I don't have to wait much longer. How can you brag about a bike you can't feel confident about.
    2011 Pearl White RT Limited
    HMT Brake Light, Fender Tips Kit, Mudflap Lights, GloRyders, Seal Floorboards, Powerlet 12V, Garage Door Momentary Button, Bump Skid, Elka's Stage 1, Ultimate Sea, Air Wings

Member of the Woodstock Spyder Ryders (Illinois)

Spyder Garage

I had mine replaced as well. Next time you go to start it, let it run for a few mins to warm up (don't drive it though), then turn it off and try restarting it. This is essentially what you are doing by starting 10 times. Once the throttle body warms up to operating temp, it seems to act right. At least thats what mine did. Hopefully you won't have to wait much longer for the replacement.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    How in the world did you get a 1,000 rpm drop at 55 mph? That's really substantial, unless it's just a matter of the tachometer reading more accurately.
    Maybe he just found 5th gear! (JK!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Need Help..Anyone have a connection with BRP

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I had mine replaced as well. Next time you go to start it, let it run for a few mins to warm up (don't drive it though), then turn it off and try restarting it. This is essentially what you are doing by starting 10 times. Once the throttle body warms up to operating temp, it seems to act right. At least thats what mine did. Hopefully you won't have to wait much longer for the replacement.
    I just talked with my dealer about the throttle body they were suppose to order and didn't because BRP Warranty is telling them to reload the software update even though the bike has the new software update. I'm being told by dealer BRP will not authorize the new throttle body until the software has been reinstalled. Personally this brings me no comfort or confidence to ride 100 miles and find out that the throttle body does not function properly or if it has been damaged already.

Any advise?

UPDATE: 9/29/011 Finally after dealer re-loaded sofware I was informed a throttle body has been ordered and hopefully will have my RT back in a couple of days....Software re-load wasn't the answer.
    Last edited by Macca; 09-29-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: update

Spyder Garage

Macca, what Hawk says seems to work. I posted on another thread about a buddy's RT that showed the limp mode each morn for about 6 days while we were on a trip, but after letting it warm up thoroughly, we went to breakfast, came back and it was good to go the rest of the day.

On way home last sat we stopped at local dealer and he checked it out and ordered a TB. My friend advised me this past wed that each morning it started fine without the limp mode. Apparently being housed in his warmish garage was enuf to make the TB happy! He's still waiting to be called by dealer when they get his TB.

Don't dispair; give it time to warm up and go ride the critter.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I just talked with my dealer about the throttle body they were suppose to order and didn't because BRP Warranty is telling them to reload the software update even though the bike has the new software update. I'm being told by dealer BRP will not authorize the new throttle body until the software has been reinstalled. Personally this brings me no comfort or confidence to ride 100 miles and find out that the throttle body does not function properly or if it has been damaged already.

Any advise?

UPDATE: 9/29/011 Finally after dealer re-loaded sofware I was informed a throttle body has been ordered and hopefully will have my RT back in a couple of days....Software re-load wasn't the answer.
    We are waiting for the dealer to update the software, they were told to do the same thing and then have to wait for authorization for throttle body. why does BRP not mail recall information to owners just like General Motors and other makers do. we are way down here in southwest texas and have to wait for so long for BRP to issue any information. there are many Spyder riders down here who spend lots of hard earned money for the BRP product, we have clubs, we advertise the Spyder, we have all kinds of events that promote this product and the Big Guys up in Canada throw us a few dry bones. Come on BRP give us the respect we deserve, we are Spyder Lovers and really enjoy our spyder ride, but when it has to stay at the shop more than under us then what fun is that, in that case we should be tells others to stay away from this product and get back on a two wheeler or just find another way to enjoy the rest of the life you have left. I am a bit upset right now and rightfully so. Please get us some help and make things right.

Spyder Garage

This is not a recall, it is not directly a safety issue. It is a warranty bulletin (technical service bulletin). Like the auto makers, you would be notified of a recall by mail, but a service bulletin fix depends upon a visit to the dealer. GM and Ford do exactly the same thing.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Patience.... I have only had 4 throttle bodies and 1 throttle body position sensor replaced.
    only 10 months old.
    Now that said, I have also had the so-called Kill Switch assembley replaced.

Therefore, during the throttle body and throttle body pos sensor replacement, I had a lost of Limp modes and Check engines.

Since the Kill switch assembley replacement my Limp's and Check engine failure has gone away at least for now.

When I got the Limp modes my speed dropped fro the speed limit of 65..70..75 ( expressway ) to 20-30 mph... I like to have got killed by trucks and cars not realizing that I had problems.

I do hope all of you with the above problems get with your dealer and get the stuff fixed before you or othersget hurt.

CPS in Kissimmee, did there magic with BRP support and resolved my issues.

Spyder Garage

Default Mechanic's comment on number of Throttle Body failures

Stopped by a dealer today to find out the cost of mounting/bal rear tire and adj belt ($90...one hr labor) and whole gang was sitting around shooting the breeze.

While chatting with a mechanic I said something about the seemingly large number of throttle bodies being replaced and he went into a lot of detail beyond my ken about what the problem was.

In the course of this he said he replaces the TB in about 1 out every 3 Can Ams.

I mentioned reading about some folks that have had more than one replacement and to this he said the fiche is outdated and BRP still has/had some old parts that have been superceded, so that sometimes a dealer will order one and get the old part.

Said it happened to him twice and he had to later replace both with the newer TB. These may not have been his words verbatim, but is the essence of what he told me.

Same mechanic also said something about the steering head issue and that he had replaced 40 of these. I'm not up to speed on steering heads so don't really know exactly what he called the part.

He was talking freely and I appreciated the info so I won't mentiion the dealer just so theres no repercussions to him.
    Theres several dealers in my general vicinity.
    Last edited by ulflyer; 03-07-2012 at 04:30 PM.