Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default According to this article--Spyder owners lack skill, daring, and determination...

Spyder Ryders Unite! According to this article, the Spyder is "designed to open up the motorcycling experience to people without the skill, determination, and daring it takes to ride a conventional motorcycle." So then--all of us Spyder owners don't have skill, determination, or daring? The article is found here: http://www.pscnow.biz/rsps/. I would encourage you to email the GM at ralcon@teamrands.com and voice your opinon on how much you lack in skill and daring. This is unacceptable. Spyder Ryders are not 2nd-class citizens on the road. Nor are we weak and feeble, as we're made out to be in this article. I served 11 years in the Army. I was on tanks, and believe me--daring is part of the job description. What an outrage.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQ_Spyderman View Post
    Spyder Ryders Unite! According to this article, the Spyder is "designed to open up the motorcycling experience to people without the skill, determination, and daring it takes to ride a conventional motorcycle." So then--all of us Spyder owners don't have skill, determination, or daring? The article is found here: http://www.pscnow.biz/rsps/. I would encourage you to email the GM at ralcon@teamrands.com and voice your opinon on how much you lack in skill and daring. This is unacceptable. Spyder Ryders are not 2nd-class citizens on the road. Nor are we weak and feeble, as we're made out to be in this article. I served 11 years in the Army. I was on tanks, and believe me--daring is part of the job description. What an outrage.
    As a Vietnam war veteran, I totally agree

arntufun

Wait a minute. That statement is intended to be a positive IMO. What they are saying is, people that had never rode before would be attracted to the Spyder and give it a try. They are not talking about seasoned riders. Most of the article was a great review of the Spyder. I understand how the sentence could be taken out of context, but in this case I don't feel that it is. Please re-read the article and you will see my point.

I love my Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well I'm a chicken... and I hope to live long enough to become an OLD chicken...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Amazing how you can get two different interpretations out of the same words. This leads me to believe that it is not necessarily the intent of the "sender", but instead the meaning that is given by the "receiver". Just a thought.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Wait a minute. That statement is intended to be a positive IMO. What they are saying is, people that had never rode before would be attracted to the Spyder and give it a try. They are not talking about seasoned riders. Most of the article was a great review of the Spyder. I understand how the sentence could be taken out of context, but in this case I don't feel that it is. Please re-read the article and you will see my point.

I love my Spyder.
    I can't believe that I am going to say this but with you
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

This is a very positive article IMO.

The author correctly points out there is an expanded market that is served by this machine.

I don't see any disrespect for Spyder riders here.

Boy, some folks have very thin skins if they find this offensive!
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=arntufun;374229]Wait a minute. That statement is intended to be a positive IMO. What they are saying is, people that had never rode before would be attracted to the Spyder and give it a try. They are not talking about seasoned riders.

I Agree with you, But i guess every one was un seasoned at one time.
    [nam 66/67]

arntufun

Lamont's is going to be so proud of me for squashing this negativity before it got out of hand. Maybe he will hire me as a moderator for this site.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But you'll have to have your teeth fixed before you can become an Ambassador...

Spyder Garage

While I can see some positives in the article as to the features on the Spyder, I can't get around the author saying this is for people that aren't daring or skilled enough for 2 wheels. I was talking to a Harley guy they other day and I loved his quote--"Riding is riding, man." I'm not trying to be negative, and I've certainly never been accused of having thin skin--but I did find those words to be offensive.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by ABQ_Spyderman View Post
    While I can see some positives in the article as to the features on the Spyder, I can't get around the author saying this is for people that aren't daring or skilled enough for 2 wheels. I was talking to a Harley guy they other day and I loved his quote--"Riding is riding, man." I'm not trying to be negative, and I've certainly never been accused of having thin skin--but I did find those words to be offensive.

Although I can see your side of things, the article states and I quote.......

"It is designed to open up the motorcycling experience to people without the skill, determination and daring it takes to ride a conventional motorcycle ".

This is not offensive to me. Did I mention, I love my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Lamont's is going to be so proud of me for squashing this negativity before it got out of hand. Maybe he will hire me as a moderator for this site.
    It is a pity that people are hesitant to take the right in this because you beat them to it. Just goes to show anyone can be right if given enough chances! Law of averages, I guess.

But this time, arntufun, I have to say; . Why do we have to flinch from the truth? First, if you are confident that you have chosen the best machine for you, why be offended if someone disagrees with your choice?

I find the statements in this article highly accurate. The Spyder DOES NOT require the same skill level to ride safely as a 2 wheeled machine. The article is accurate again when it gives the impression that the Spyder opens up open air riding to many who whould otherwise not be able to ride, for a number of reasons. Not to pick on SethO but he is one good example.

The article DOES NOT say that Everyone who rides the Spyder does so because they lack the skill, determination, and daring it takes to ride a conventional motorcycle. It just says that the Spyder offers this experience to those who do fit this description.

I might take offence if offence was intended. But like others here have already stated, this article is fine with me. I can ride pretty much whatever I want and I choose the Spyder. There are plenty of us who fit into this category. Others may not have the options I do, and choose the Spyder for their own reasons. Both are equally valid.

Relax and enjoy the ride!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

arntufun

That's what I said Baja. I want to let everyone know............... (click link)

Spyder Garage

That's what I said Baja. I want to let everyone know...............
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I agree: it does not take "skill, determination, and daring" to ride a Spyder.

It takes skill, determination, and daring to ride a Spyder LIKE HOW **I** RIDE.

(BTW, did I mention that I got my first speeding ticket this weekend? Frakkin' People's Republic of Maryland, putting a 40 mph speeding camera on an empty rural road designed easily for 55 mph... AND snapping pics at 6:30 AM ON A SUNDAY MORNING!! Can't wait for THAT one to show up in the mail)
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

I was thinking we were going to have some good Monday morning controversy. I will agree with most of the posters so far, in that no bad reflections were intended on ryders.

A quick read will get the angst flowing--but taking the article as a whole--the intent seems to be along the lines of a good write up for the spyder.

Taking one sentance out of context without taking the whole into consideration can give entirely different meaning.

I have had this situation happen to me a couple of times on the site--as I tend to get verbal at times.

IMHO: the article was good for , and I will not be writing a complaint to the company--this time.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote:-"Spyder Ryders Unite! According to this article, the Spyder is "designed to open up the motorcycling experience to people without the skill, determination, and daring it takes to ride a conventional motorcycle." So then--all of us Spyder owners don't have skill, determination, or daring?"

I agree with the article except for the daring part, after reading all of the negatives on this and other forums it takes an incredible amount of daring to buy one

spydee owner

Default article

I love my Spyder.
    I do not see that statement as a positive.

I could see maybe if this artlcle were written in '08 or '09, but in by 2011, had the writer of this article done the homework, they would know that the spyder attracts a wide demographic for many different reasons(many former and present motorcycle riders as well as newbies).

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 34fun View Post
    Quote:-"Spyder Ryders Unite! According to this article, the Spyder is "designed to open up the motorcycling experience to people without the skill, determination, and daring it takes to ride a conventional motorcycle." So then--all of us Spyder owners don't have skill, determination, or daring?"

I agree with the article except for the daring part, after reading all of the negatives on this and other forums it takes an incredible amount of daring to buy one
    Now,that's funny right there!

but has a shot of reality to it too!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default So ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Well I'm a chicken... and I hope to live long enough to become an OLD chicken...
    ... how do you quantify OLD CHICKEN?

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Spyder Garage

That's what I said Baja. I want to let everyone know............... (click link)
    Was it my imagination, or was that Kevin Coster dubbing for Eddie Murphy at a certain point of this clip (not going to say the name...)?
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

That's awesome Forrest! Very well said, sir!

Spyder Garage

Well, I don't think the author was trying to offend anyone, either. The words chosen to get across the idea were lacking, though...and maybe just a bit strong. He sure could have done better. Just to set the record straight, some of us ride the Spyder because we just plain like it! I have ridden motorcycles (and fallen off them) faster than most riders have ever even gone. I drove front-engined fuel dragsters in the days of single layer nomex fire suits. I have raced a variety of vehicles, and am actually considering building a land-speed attempt vehicle...at my semi-advanced age. I doubt my skill is what it once was, and my brain cells work to well these days to be considered a daring individual, so maybe the author is right,but I still ride my two wheelers...and I ride my Spyder out of choice, and for no other conscious reason.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thehawk View Post
    ... how do you quantify OLD CHICKEN?

thehawk
    I would imagine to a hawk that any chicken is "old enough"...