Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I am paranoid about riding two wheel bikes!

I figured if Bruisersbaby can be paranoid about stopping on their , I can be paranoid about riding a regular (AKA 2 wheel) motorcycle. We live in the Panhandle of Florida, and the only way I can get a motorcycle endorsement here is to pass the motorcycle safety course on 2 wheels. I've got balance problems when I'm walking, so I sure didn't feel comfortable trying to take a 2-wheeled course with 7 other riders (doing figure eights, etc) when I was petrified that I'd (a) run the instructor over, (b) crash into another rider or (c) end up with a major injury! Needless to say, that course didn't end too well. Erags thought I called it quits too soon and should have hung in there, but I was glad to go home in one piece. I couldn't see the sense in having to pass a course on a 2 wheeled bike when I will NEVER drive a 2 wheeled bike. (He blames my defeatist attitude for my unwillingness to stick it out on 2 wheels...I blame it on my medical knowledge of what I could seriously injure!) I aced the written part of the course but I'm basically a MSC dropout. (That sure gave my type A perfectionist personality fits for awhile!) Did the rest of you riders have to get your endorsements on a 2 wheel bike? Are most of you "newbies" to riding, or converts from 2 wheels? I love riding on the back of our taking pictures and enjoying the ride, but there are times when I'd like to legally drive! How did you guys (oops, girls) get your motorcycle endorsements in your states? Do you even need an endorsement to drive where you live? Any tips for me, or should I just sit back, relax and enjoy the ride from the back seat?
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm with you on just saying no to 2 wheels! MI has a 3 wheel endorsement (CY with a restriction) and I took the road test on my Spyder. I would have liked to take the Safety Course but like you I didn't want to do it on 2 wheels. No one offers a 3 wheel course near me. I rode illegally for several months last year and racked up several thousand miles until I finally had a chance to schedule the road test when my husband was home.

I wonder what FL would do if I moved there. Would they give me a CY endorsement or tell me sorry you have to test on 2 wheels. When I moved there in 1995 they gave my husband a CY endorsement because he had one from NC. I wish all states had uniform rules for licensing. I feel that testing is necessary for Spyder riding and I don't agree with CA letting you just get on one and ride it but it makes no sense to require you to know how to ride a 2 wheeler.

Have you written any letters to your state legislators?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just looked at BRPs website where they have the info for licensing in all the states and it says that FL allows you to take the skills test on a Spyder. Skip the safety course for now and take the driving test after you have your endorsement look for a Gold Wing Riders trike course if you are still interested. I thought FL was like AL and you can only get the endorsement on 2 wheels. I know the courses teach you a lot and I plan to take one when they offer it for my Spyder.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default I am paranoid about riding two wheel bikes!

I live in WV and have never ridden a two wheeler. I took the two wheeler written test but took the skills test on my Spyder. I now have a motor cycle license with a three wheeler endorsement. Therefore, I am legal to drive a Spyder not a two wheeler.

Spyder Garage

Default Ohio Testing

Ohio recently modified the testing to accommodate three wheeled vehicles. Made it so easy to take the riding portion of the test and you receive a motorcycle endorsement which does not specify 3 wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrfats View Post
    I live in WV and have never ridden a two wheeler. I took the two wheeler written test but took the skills test on my Spyder. I now have a motor cycle license with a three wheeler endorsement. Therefore, I am legal to drive a Spyder not a two wheeler.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayBuffalo View Post
    Ohio recently modified the testing to accommodate three wheeled vehicles. Made it so easy to take the riding portion of the test and you receive a motorcycle endorsement which does not specify 3 wheels.
    s
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Check out this link, it will tell you how to go about getting a trike only endorsement; http://flpmt.com/index.php?page=endorsement_info

Hope it helps
    Be Safe
    AC
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Spyder Garage

Move to South Carolina,no motorcycle endorsement needed,car license only. My wife(SDM) and I have never been on a two wheeler and don't want too!
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Spyder Garage

When we bought our the original owner told us FL has 2 wheel or 3 wheel motorcycle endorsements...problem in this end of the state is there are no 3 wheel courses taught by the groups teaching basic rider safety. We were told the only places that offer them are in Orlando or Tampa...that would require travel, hotel stays, etc. Don't know if the Gold Wing group allow non-licensed riders to take their courses...will call them to see. It would definitely be nice if the states were all uniform. Heard similar complaints when we were in Canada since the different provinces have different requirements...and the US treats them differently in different states. Rumor has it BRP is working to get things more uniform in Canada...don't know if they are looking into working with the US, too.
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Spyder Garage

Check with the station that gives the drivers test, perhaps she can take the road test on the spyder and get the trike endorsement. Just a thought

AC
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

I had to take my endorsement on 2 wheels too, but because MN requires you to have a MC license for all Vespas (even 50cc) because of their "high" speed, I was able to test on my scooter. Iy felt like cheating but I passed on the first try, so on to the the Spyder I went. Check with your state to see if they have classes within the endorsement, MN doesn't have that anymore, otherwise the scooter thing wouldn't work it would limit you to that cc size . If we lived closer I'd certainly let you borrow my scooter to take your test if I could! --Paula
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButchA2025 View Post
    I had to take my endorsement on 2 wheels too, but because MN requires you to have a MC license for all Vespas (even 50cc) because of their "high" speed, I was able to test on my scooter. Iy felt like cheating but I passed on the first try, so on to the the Spyder I went. Check with your state to see if they have classes within the endorsement, MN doesn't have that anymore, otherwise the scooter thing wouldn't work it would limit you to that cc size . If we lived closer I'd certainly let you borrow my scooter to take your test if I could! --Paula
    When did you take your test? I took mine in the Spring of last year and was able to take it on the Spyder and get a 3 wheel endorsement at the DMV in Burnsville, MN.

It'd be a shame if they changed it so that you had to take the test on 2 wheels now.

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kytten View Post
    When did you take your test? I took mine in the Spring of last year and was able to take it on the Spyder and get a 3 wheel endorsement at the DMV in Burnsville, MN.

It'd be a shame if they changed it so that you had to take the test on 2 wheels now.
    I took my test 3 years ago... it was quicker this way because I was already very familiar with my scooter to the testing was a breeze...besides as others have stated the written portion is strictly a 2 wheel test...here again a world I was familiar with already. --Paula
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrfats View Post
    I would check with your Local DMV ......I took a safty class and the 2 wheel test and was told it is used for a motorcycle regardless of 2 or 3 wheels. I am in Michigan though. So I would check the local laws for your state and county. its not worth guessing if you are in an accident and you do not have proper endorsements, or insurance coverage.......you may end up with some healthy fines or jail time. Better safe than sorry

Spyder Garage

Sorry to barge in here. Is the 2 wheel class required, or is it an option so that you get the certificate without having to take a drivers test?

In AK, you take a written permit test, get the permit and it gives you about a year to either: Take the approved course--(which here covers 2 wheelers only)--pass the course and automatically receive your 2-wheel endorsement.

OR: take the drivers test. Here it depends where you take it--the ex drove in on her --was told to make a left turn, a right turn, and a quick stop. Test passed--all done--special endorsement given for 3 wheels only.

Obviously, regs will vary from state to state.

Bye--I will go over to the other side now.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

In AZ, you are allowed to take the MC on the Spyder. Might want to ck and see if you can do the same where you are.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Gold Wing Road Rider Association (GWRRA) http://fla.gwrra-regiona.org/index.html offer FREE riding courses. You would be able to take the Trike Riding course and that should get your license.

GWRRA is a family friendly group and I highly recommend the Trike course. I took it back in July and learned a lot. Click on the link above a find a chapter near you or contact the chapter educator about when the next Trike course will be.

Keep us posted on getting your license.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

I took mine on the syder, it was really a joke, but I will admit I drove for a good 4 months without an endorsement.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Sorry to barge in here. Is the 2 wheel class required, or is it an option so that you get the certificate without having to take a drivers test?

In AK, you take a written permit test, get the permit and it gives you about a year to either: Take the approved course--(which here covers 2 wheelers only)--pass the course and automatically receive your 2-wheel endorsement.

OR: take the drivers test. Here it depends where you take it--the ex drove in on her --was told to make a left turn, a right turn, and a quick stop. Test passed--all done--special endorsement given for 3 wheels only.

Obviously, regs will vary from state to state.

Bye--I will go over to the other side now.
    You have to take the motorcycle safety course for the endorsement in FL (or have a motorcycle endorsement from another state already on your license). Successful completion of the 2 day course gets you a certificate to take to the drivers license folks and the endorsement is added w/o driving test @ license office. Passing my written test @ the course didn't get me anything.
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Well, I took my Motorcycle Safety course this past weekend and actually was riding on two wheels. I didn't care for it, but learned a lot and am a lot more confident. In NC, we don't have to take this course in order to get our motorcycle endorsement, but if you pass, most insurance companies will give you a decreased rate. I didn't pass. Yesterday, I had taken the curve well, and when I was getting back in line to practice, the bike stalled, and fell on my ankle. I was thankful that one of the requirements is having ankle boots, or my ankle could have been broken or crushed. Went to the doctor this morning and it's just bruised and swollen. I do not want to take the course again until they get a trike course. This is in the works now, and that would suit me fine. If I don't take the course, I'll have to take the driving part at Highway Patrol. I'm just thankful the course is not a requirement to get the endorsement. I do have my learner's permit, and it'll be good until August of next year.

Spyder Garage

I won't argue with those that do not want to ride a 2 wheeler - for whatever reason. But I don't think we should feed a feeling that it's a difficult task. If you can ride a bicycle, particularly one with hand brakes and shifters, AND take a beginner's course taught by good instructors, you'll find moving about on a 2 wheel motorcycle really isn't that difficult. Sure, it takes a while for things to become instinctive, such as pulling in the clutch when coming to a stop, or downshifting while slowing, but the actual act of riding a motorcycle isn't that difficult, and should not cause fear to most people. I just don't want to see new riders unnecessarily frightened away from taking the test on 2 wheels. JMHO
    Dan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last time I rode a bicycle I crashed in a ditch - I guess that has something to do with me not wanting to ride a 2 wheel motorcycle.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I do agree with you, Dan, and I think it's good that the requirement is on two wheels. However, I was not comfortable and was very stressed most of the time I was taking the course. I did enjoy weaving and a couple of the other exercises, but just could not get the hang of some of the turning and coordination of the hand brake and clutch. But, I have to practice more on the Spyder to get the hang of stopping as well. I gained a lot from this course, but will stay on 3 wheels from now on. Guess it just all depends on your comfort zone and what your abilities are. I wouldn't want to steer anyone away from two wheels, either, but it's a matter of choice.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruisersbaby View Post
    I do agree with you, Dan, and I think it's good that the requirement is on two wheels. However, I was not comfortable and was very stressed most of the time I was taking the course. I did enjoy weaving and a couple of the other exercises, but just could not get the hang of some of the turning and coordination of the hand brake and clutch. But, I have to practice more on the Spyder to get the hang of stopping as well. I gained a lot from this course, but will stay on 3 wheels from now on. Guess it just all depends on your comfort zone and what your abilities are. I wouldn't want to steer anyone away from two wheels, either, but it's a matter of choice.

Yeah, she wouldn't steer anyone away from two wheels. Especially since I just bought a '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 LT

(BB's hubby)

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DocRags View Post
    I figured if Bruisersbaby can be paranoid about stopping on their , I can be paranoid about riding a regular (AKA 2 wheel) motorcycle. We live in the Panhandle of Florida, and the only way I can get a motorcycle endorsement here is to pass the motorcycle safety course on 2 wheels. I've got balance problems when I'm walking, so I sure didn't feel comfortable trying to take a 2-wheeled course with 7 other riders (doing figure eights, etc) when I was petrified that I'd (a) run the instructor over, (b) crash into another rider or (c) end up with a major injury! Needless to say, that course didn't end too well. Erags thought I called it quits too soon and should have hung in there, but I was glad to go home in one piece. I couldn't see the sense in having to pass a course on a 2 wheeled bike when I will NEVER drive a 2 wheeled bike. (He blames my defeatist attitude for my unwillingness to stick it out on 2 wheels...I blame it on my medical knowledge of what I could seriously injure!) I aced the written part of the course but I'm basically a MSC dropout. (That sure gave my type A perfectionist personality fits for awhile!) Did the rest of you riders have to get your endorsements on a 2 wheel bike? Are most of you "newbies" to riding, or converts from 2 wheels? I love riding on the back of our taking pictures and enjoying the ride, but there are times when I'd like to legally drive! How did you guys (oops, girls) get your motorcycle endorsements in your states? Do you even need an endorsement to drive where you live? Any tips for me, or should I just sit back, relax and enjoy the ride from the back seat?
    I just got my license in April and I took the trike riding course in Eustis Fl. I'm restricted to three wheels only, however like you I will not be riding anything but the . They only do it on Mon and Tue. But it is well worth taking it. I too, did not want to take the two-wheel test. We called them to see if I could use the spyder for my testing and course being that is what I would be driving. The were tickled to see me and the spyder. They do have their own trikes that you can use, Auto & manuals What ever you are planning on using is what they recommend you train on. They are really friendly and go out of their way to help you in any way you might need. I believe Eustis is the closest course to you. I will give you their web site and I believe you can get discounts on the motel just by telling them you are taking the course. The course cost $245. I have always ridden behind my husband many many many years don't get me wrong I really enjoyed it. However when I got my license I wasn't content sitting in the back anymore and now I have my own RS. We have so much more fun now riding together. He is on his RT and me on my RS with G-4 headsets and can talk like we our on the same spyder. Enough said here is the web site http://saferide.com/ If you decide to come down this way look us up. You will not regret getting your own license and riding free. Best of Luck CJ

Hand grips
    GPS holder
    Buttler mug holder
    Running lights front and rear
    12V plug in
    Graphics