Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Interstate Cruising

Love my Spyder but until this recent trip I avoided interstate ryding. But I must say the Spyder RT-S is a dream machine to cruise on the Interstate. I averaged 70 to 85 mph over about 1500 miles of interstate and I felt incredibly safe and was not even a little uneasy. So to anyone worried about high speed interstate ryding, worry not, it is really a breeze and quite fun.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

+ 1
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyder Garage

Yes I enjoyed some slab on the way home last night for sure.

"THE DOG SLED"
    2011 Spyder Can Am RTS SM5 (Orbital Blue)
    Nuvi 550 GPS With Ram Mount
    Drink 2 Go Cup Holder
    KewlMetal RT Run-Turn-Brake LED
    GloRyder Wolf Paw (in blue)
    DMWMS Decal
    IPS w/
    Alaska Leather Sheepskin Butt Pad
    TricLed - Brake Pedal
    Chrome Shortee Antenna

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BUT... finding a secondary road with scenery is still better!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Unless I'm in a hurry.

Spyder Garage

I generally avoided interstate riding because of the way the Spyder would rock when getting buffeted by truck traffic or crosswinds. However, after I replaced the stock shocks with Elkas it is a totally different machine and now is very stable at highway speeds. I feel very comfortable on interstates now but still prefer the 2 lane roads primarily for the screnery.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

No slabs here in AK. We do have some stretches of road where they allow 65 mph--but most do not even have a center median.

In reply to Bob D.--you would probably like riding here--because everthing else is "secondary road" with plenty of scenery to go with it.

I don't use my cruise unless I am driving the 65 mph stretches.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I had my 'Wing I ALWAYS wanted to ride to Alaska one day... but then those days got around me somehow!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    No slabs here in AK. We do have some stretches of road where they allow 65 mph--but most do not even have a center median.

In reply to Bob D.--you would probably like riding here--because everthing else is "secondary road" with plenty of scenery to go with it.

I don't use my cruise unless I am driving the 65 mph stretches.
    But he rides too slow! Are there plenty of passing zones on the 65 mph stretches?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Yes--the 65 mph stretches do have passing lanes. You need them to get around motor homes and vehicles hauling really big boats. Mostly a summertime problem though.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Interstate

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    I generally avoided interstate riding because of the way the Spyder would rock when getting buffeted by truck traffic or crosswinds. However, after I replaced the stock shocks with Elkas it is a totally different machine and now is very stable at highway speeds. I feel very comfortable on interstates now but still prefer the 2 lane roads primarily for the scenery.
    Glad I'm not the only one rocked around. So Elkas, huh? I don't know if it's the high profile, the shocks, or the fact that I haven't ridden in 13 years, but the turbulence on the highway ,now, seems more pronounced on the Spyder than it did on my Goldwing. Most of the time I just write it off to pilot error. But it's good to know that there are products out that can help.
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2020 RTL , Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Interstate cruising

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltari View Post
    Love my Spyder but until this recent trip I avoided interstate ryding. But I must say the Spyder RT-S is a dream machine to cruise on the Interstate. I averaged 70 to 85 mph over about 1500 miles of interstate and I felt incredibly safe and was not even a little uneasy. So to anyone worried about high speed interstate ryding, worry not, it is really a breeze and quite fun.
    WE went to State College PA for a ride and to get some of their delicious ice cream. If you are in the area you must try the ice cream.
    Coming home on interstate 80 about 75 mph and watching the mirrors. In my mirror I can see a motorcycle light coming. Still keeping the same speed and watching mirror for motorcycle coming and I was shocked at what passed me. It was a motorscooter flying by me. Wasn't long he was out of my sight. Talk about a let down.
    Last edited by woodchuck; 09-17-2011 at 08:57 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I too had that bit of unstable feeling on interstates, especially in a metro area like Phoenix, with 5 or 6 lanes in each direction. I went with the Works Shocks, and like everyone reports... What a difference.

Ray
    Ray & Nancy
    2010 Spyder RT A&C Pkg w/Works Shocks, Fog & LED Accent Ltg
    2010 39' Toy Hauler pulled by 2004 Volvo VNL-670 Semi

Spyder Garage

Bought my 2008 RS SM5 in Prescott, AZ and rode it home in 5 days to Philly. Lots of cruising between 80 and 85. Having a cruise control helped greatly. I don't know why they BRP calls it a 'touring windshield' because it was not high enough for someone 6' 4". Not nearly tall enough. My head took a pounding from being in the slipstream. Was able to have all of my gear in my GIVI trunk and frunk on the RS. Gas mileage totally sucked...but I rode it hard. I'm finding it still sucks at moderate speeds while home. The highway pegs were a must have as well as the upgraded suspension.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I read of unsable rides with 2011 RT-S (limited). Mine was somewhat, but I fooled around with air pressures
    and front shock settings. Mine is like a rock on all roads. JMHO

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Just did a trip from the Ohio border to Knoxville on I75. Very few trucks give me any trouble but certain types do , auto carriers for some reason. Didn't have a problem with any trucks this trip but there was a section where the wind was really strong ( trees were really moving ) and the affects were really noticable on the bike handling. once we cleared that short area everything was fine again .Only mod to the susspension was adjusting the front shocks all the way to 5.

THe thump thump I hear as a I pass a big rig worries me a lot more than the cycle wobble.

2011RTSS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WingmanRT View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one rocked around. So Elkas, huh? I don't know if it's the high profile, the shocks, or the fact that I haven't ridden in 13 years, but the turbulence on the highway ,now, seems more pronounced on the Spyder than it did on my Goldwing. Most of the time I just write it off to pilot error. But it's good to know that there are products out that can help.
    We had issues with turbulance and went with Elka shocks and that fixed the problem. We had messed with air pressure, etc., too. Elka shocks made the biggest difference and worth every dime.

Spyder Garage

Default Elka Shocks

Quote Originally Posted by retiredsquid View Post
    We had issues with turbulence and went with Elka shocks and that fixed the problem. We had messed with air pressure, etc., too. Elka shocks made the biggest difference and worth every dime.
    If you don't mind my asking... what's a ballpark for a Can-Am's Elka Shocks? (I'm okay with being told "none of your damned business!" too) The web site doesn't put prices on and that makes me think, if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Besides more than a bit of sway on the highway, I also get a bit of a 'tipping' sensation on uneven roads (especially where the right shoulder dips down a few inches). Now, granted, I am 260 lbs and have an intense sensitivity to 'level', but even still... the bike feels like it's 'giving' too much. I'm not talking about g force in a turn, this is more about 'crowned' or tilted roadways & changes in angle. I think stiffer shocks would help minimize that tipping sensation. I have my stock shocks all the way up right now and have been playing with the rear suspension settings to find a better feel. Also adjust my tire pressure to 18. Just looking for more stability and less sway.

I'm thinking about ordering some Elka shocks and having my dealer install them (I am close to learning which end of the screw driver to hold!)
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2020 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WingmanRT View Post
    If you don't mind my asking... what's a ballpark for a Can-Am's Elka Shocks? (I'm okay with being told "none of your damned business!" too) The web site doesn't put prices on and that makes me think, if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Besides more than a bit of sway on the highway, I also get a bit of a 'tipping' sensation on uneven roads (especially where the right shoulder dips down a few inches). Now, granted, I am 260 lbs and have an intense sensitivity to 'level', but even still... the bike feels like it's 'giving' too much. I'm not talking about g force in a turn, this is more about 'crowned' or tilted roadways & changes in angle. I think stiffer shocks would help minimize that tipping sensation. I have my stock shocks all the way up right now and have been playing with the rear suspension settings to find a better feel. Also adjust my tire pressure to 18. Just looking for more stability and less sway.

I'm thinking about ordering some Elka shocks and having my dealer install them (I am close to learning which end of the screw driver to hold!)
    $700.00 ball park, but one of our sponsors handles the Elkas so I'd inquire with the source.

Chris